Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
To Sachin007:

If I want to buy a cordless homephone, I don't want the phone to have kitchen sink on its side. I just want it to do the job right everytime I need to use it. Maybe it's fun for phone technicians to tinker with a phone by tweaking it to further its functions (increase its power, adding kitchen sinks to its side, etc). But that's not my thing. I have my job to tend to and I do my recreation elsewhere.. not by tinkering a phone.

I'd reckon the extreme majority of the market feels the same way about dmp as I feel about cordless phones. They just don't give a rat's *** whether the dmp can be reflashed to run a variant of linux, or whether it can be hacked to show a console with dmp:~# text on it. They just want admp that sounds good, easy to use and looks good when they flash it on the way to the beach w/ their lady friends or whatever. Things that most Linux geeks think as 'mundane' and 'non technical' probably.

But, they're the paying customer. If you don't tap into them, you don't have a successful product. You may have a kickass hardware here (770, N800), but without the proper income revenue Nokia will still bear this project as R&D expense on their books. That's not gonna last forever.

I'm still excited w/ NIT platform because already have a product that excites the *nix geeks in us... and with just a little sprinkle of 'simplified-ui-package.deb' on top, it may just break into widespread market.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am just holding my breath for the next tablet. It is going to trump everything.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am just holding my breath for the next tablet. It is going to trump everything.
Careful, you'll pass out.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Forget me. You definitely will when it comes.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
"I have just bought an iPod touch, which I love, and I can't find anything else that does what it does for the money"

Yeah i agree the touch was priced lot better compared to the other apple products. But seriously do you think an dmp without support for bluetooth headset ..... is that innovation??
Whether it has bluetooth or not, it is an innovation. I play with the iPod touch and it is a really amazing interface. I am impressed by it, it is innovative.

No, it doesn't have bluetooth but then it doesn't make toast either, so I don't quite get your point. Does something have to do everything you want to be innovative?

And i have never seen apple including an fm tuner just for the sake of it. I feel that they do it purposefully so that more and more people buy more songs from itunes.
You can get plug-in FM tuners if you want one. I certainly wouldn't consider an FM radio a selling point whether it was there or not, and if you look at the take apart pictures, there isn't that much room. I wouldn't be prepared to putting up with something a mm thicker just to have some FM radio that I would never use.

Come on even the cheapest and smallest chinese mock ups have built in fm tuners.
Indeed, and still people buy iPods. That either implies that people are all fashion victims that are prepared to spend loads of money on something that is no use, or that maybe that is not a very important thing for that many people.

I know these are small issues .... but apple could have added these.... but they never will because they are apple.
Or because they think that people may not want a radio as much as you think they do?

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Do you actually know something? If so then please share it with us.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
All the treehuggers among the geeks, please stand up!

I don't see any?
I will proudly accept that label. I am a full supporter of environmental renewal, sustainment and conservation. I am also a geek. I don't see a conflict.

With all the speculation of the new tablet I assume that it will have some GPS, more memory, better software dev, maybe a better interface.

Will it be better than an iPod Touch or iPhone, well technically of course. Who will care, not many people, us I suppose. Will it be supported fully with millions being pumped into software, no maybe not. Will it sell more than the iPhone, or iPod Touch, never.

If you get the new tablet looking like an iPhone, working like one, with all its ease of use, you may be on a winner.

Bets please.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Hi all. I hope I'm not intruding on the conversation, but I'd like to introduce myself and take part in the discussion. I'm Capt'n Corrupt, an avid developer, who will soon be contributing to the software development of the Nxxx series of devices. That said, here goes:

It would seem that devices these days are converging to a single set of functionality. This is true for MP3 players, phones, internet tablets, etc. As technology shrinks and time progresses, the categorization of said devices becomes little more than marketing labels to appeal to a particular demographic. This is because, despite labels, the characteristics of these devices splill over their labels into unlabeled territory.

To the general public who do not endlessly pour over the seemingly inane ramblings of an anxious community, these devices are just that: an MP3 player, a phone, or an internet tablet. To the wiser (read: us) who recognize that the only *real* differences are quickly becoming the performance of functions and the interface, it appears frustrating that the public "don't get it." In which case, we vent our frustration to each other regarding marketing decisions, incomprehension of capability, device styling; all in the name of _image_, or put another way, how the device is generally perceived.

The iPhone is not only a phone, but a phone, an MP3 player, a mobile internet device, etc, etc. Similarly, the N810 is not simply an internet tablet, but a phone, an mp3 player, a mobile internet device, etc, etc. The difference is in the competences of each device for the respective characteristic. The iPhone may be able to surf the web, but arguably not as easy as the N810 with a higher resolution and flash support. The N810 may not be able to make GSM calls, but can use WiFi to make/receive calls.

Which is better? It's a personal question dependent on the stringent needs of the individual (hasn't it always been this way?). It depends how closely the characteristics of these future devices and their competences match our criteria for productivity and entertainment. But the issue becomes less moot as both time and technology move forward. Soon, arguing the superiority of one or the other will be equivalent to arguing GAP vs. Gucci; a matter of pure taste (or the propensity to be manipulated by corporate adverts ). In a lot of ways, it already is.

I'm looking forward to buying my first Internet Tablet: The N810. But this is because I do not have, and have little need for a phone. Otherwise, I would likely consider a device that was more like an iPhone or the upcoming nokia S60.

Till next time.. Keep love in your heart, progress on your mind, and the horizon before your eyes.

}:^)~
YARR!!

The Capt'n