Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A tarball of the Easy Debian Final image rootfs is available for those of you who prefer to use a partition.

debian-final.tar.bz2

I really want some feedback / comments about the xbindkeys hack; does it work for you?

However, if there are no more beta-testing comments, I'm going to push ahead with this version and get it done. I'm in the process of getting all my stuff together to upload to Extras...

Well, I just ditched powerlaunch last night (I hadn't been using it for a while because of potential interference with SSU, and didn't have it set up right, rendering it a pain), so I'll be able to give some feedback on that after I finish this SSU.

One thought: You might push it to extras-devel first, so the installing-from-repos bugs, if any, can be troubleshot among advanced users?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
One thought: You might push it to extras-devel first, so the installing-from-repos bugs, if any, can be troubleshot among advanced users?
I'm still kinda feeling my way here, as this is the first package I've ever uploaded to the Repositories, but I think that's a good idea...

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi Qole,

Xbindkeys work for me Alarms back to normal. I actually modify it to rotate my screen (minus key follow by plus). The only small issue I have is that the fullscreen causes a different behavior on FBReader software. The bottom row of buttons in FBReader remain visible using Xbindkeys fullscreen (it should hide away under the standard fullscreen).

Do you know what is the keycode (F?) for the swap button (the button above the menu)? I thought of mapping it to some function.

And can you make Xbindkeys automatically start-up upon reboot, instead of starting it manually?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by pton View Post
I actually modify it to rotate my screen (minus key follow by plus).
That sounds useful! Could you post the command you use?

The only small issue I have is that the fullscreen causes a different behavior on FBReader software. The bottom row of buttons in FBReader remain visible using Xbindkeys fullscreen (it should hide away under the standard fullscreen).
FBReader must use a non-standard full-screen command. Some other programs will probably display slightly different fullscreen behaviours too. We could make the Debian fullscreen into a two-step process, maybe? Minus then fullscreen?

Do you know what is the keycode (F?) for the swap button (the button above the menu)? I thought of mapping it to some function.
I assume that is the "home" key on the N800... If so, that's F5.

And can you make Xbindkeys automatically start-up upon reboot, instead of starting it manually?
I don't want to do that, because it opens the Debian chroot, and I'd prefer not to do that automatically; only when the user wants it.

Ok, after working with OpenOffice in OS2008 a bit yesterday, it became painfully clear that I had to have a menu icon for finding OOo when I switched away, because, of course, there's no icon for it in OS2008.

So I've added a new icon, "Find OpenOffice" ... This just runs the following:

Code:
sudo debian wmctrl -a openoffice
ALSO: People keep mentioning insanely short startup times for OpenOffice. The shortest startup time I can get is TWO MINUTES, from pressing the menu button to getting a document on the screen. What am I doing wrong, or are you measuring startup time differently?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
People keep mentioning insanely short startup times for OpenOffice. The shortest startup time I can get is TWO MINUTES, from pressing the menu button to getting a document on the screen. What am I doing wrong, or are you measuring startup time differently?
Imho it depends whether ooo's nuts and bolts are there ready for working or not - I mean:
  • recently booted tablet, first run of oowriter, from click to an usable window --> 140 seconds
  • close window, then immediately after
  • second run, from click to an usable window --> 45 seconds
  • close window, then 3-4 minutes later (the time to write the lines above)
  • third run, from click to an usable window --> 85 seconds.

So may it depend on some things being in ram vs. in cache?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
>That sounds useful! Could you post the command you use?

Here is a simple script file to toggle between landscape and portrait mode. You need to install the xrandr (command line program for rotation -- the author has removed it from sse2.net/rotate -- Chinook version).

if (xdpyinfo|grep -c 800x480)
then
xrandr -o right
else
xrandr -o normal
fi

>FBReader must use a non-standard full-screen command. Some >other programs will probably display slightly different fullscreen >behaviours too. We could make the Debian fullscreen into a >two-step process, maybe? Minus then fullscreen?

Yes, I did the same. I mapped debian fullscreen to minus + fullscreen. So the standard one-button fullscreen now behaves the standard way with maemo apps.

(define (second-binding)
"Second binding"
(display "New binding")
(ungrab-all-keys)
(remove-all-keys)
; Minus + Fullscreen = debian apps fullscreen
(xbindkey-function '(F6)
(lambda ()
(run-command "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen")
(reset-first-binding)))
; Minus + Plus = toggle between landscape & portrait. /home/user/rotate as above script.
(xbindkey-function 'F7
(lambda ()
(display-n "Minus and Plus")
(run-command "/home/user/rotate")
(reset-first-binding)))
(debug)
(grab-all-keys))

>I don't want to do that, because it opens the Debian chroot, and >I'd prefer not to do that automatically; only when the user >wants it.
OK, understood.

The Following User Says Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:

ALSO: People keep mentioning insanely short startup times for OpenOffice. The shortest startup time I can get is TWO MINUTES, from pressing the menu button to getting a document on the screen. What am I doing wrong, or are you measuring startup time differently?
I got it up (blank document) in under 1min 30sec with your latest turbo charged version. My debian image file is stored on a 2GB 50X card.

Ok, after working with OpenOffice in OS2008 a bit yesterday, it became painfully clear that I had to have a menu icon for finding OOo when I switched away, because, of course, there's no icon for it in OS2008.
I don't understand this.. I do get a generic "app" icon that is accessible when switching away / back. Am I missing something?

Re launch times, it takes 25secs for OpenOffice to launch in my Diablo system: from tap on launch to the display of the OOO menu. The same test with Abiword (which I installed in the easy Debian image) launches in 20secs on my N800.

Re: FBREADER and the problem with Xbindkeys, I am afraid there's yet a more serious problem with this app. It has to do with the matchbof.defs hack. When active, FBREADER menus open way big and overflow the available screen space... and become thus unuseable.

What functionality does the hack truly enable? In LXDE, windows are fully moveable and resizable without this hack being active... so I am curious what do you actually need it for?

Once the Easy Debian image has been installed, is there any reason to keep the contents of ~/image-install around?

Re: Xbindkeys what do you propose now?

-- Denis

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete