Notices

about using designer or qt creator instead of writing all the gui design directly on c++:

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
It's probably possible, although it might not work well at this point, because of the immaturity of Qt 4.6. But, why? Would that gain something that we don't have already? I'm actually quite happy creating the UI's in code...
Not having used glade when i started to write rapier (because i was not sure how easy glade would be to use with hildon thingy at the time) was something i regretted afterward.

Having a way to handle change in the gui with a 'what you see is what you get' tool makes enhancement and changes much more easier. Especially if you are not familiar with the application in the first place.

Rigth now, i know i would not like to have to add another something in the Rapier preference windows by example, and this sort of change could (and should) be really simple to do with a graphical designer.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Finally getting to testing this, I'll update my results in the coming days.

*Just an FYI to anyone else looking to test, you need to have the Extras-Testing Repository enabled (see explaination here). This repository is meant for testing applications only and you should only enable it when testing or updating software that is in a testing phase. Please make sure to also vote and comment for any software that you are testing so that it can be moved into the Maemo-Extras repository - this is more or less when it becomes officially available and usable to all.

Please make sure that you vote for Rapier in Extras-Dev if you are testing it. This is the only way to get it pushed towards the main Maemo Extras directory so that it can be moved to a maintenance mode and energies be focused towards Katana:
- Download and vote for Rapier

Last edited by ARJWright; 2010-01-02 at 01:42.

Rapier Testing 1.1.10

Test 1: Can find application within Application Manager
Result: Yes/Successful
Stepts to Reproduce:
- Make sure to add the Extras-Testing Repository and that it is enabled
- Search for Rapier (easier since there are so many apps to scroll through)

Test 2: Can install from Application Manager
Steps to Reproduce:
- Once the app was found, simply to click and wait for the confirmation screen

Test 3 (#1): Can install (load) Bible from within Rapier
Steps to Reproduce:
- clicked on Rapier in the title bar
- navigated to Manage
- clicked on the tab titled Remote
- scrolled to en (English)
- scrolled to ESV
- clicked ok

- clicked on Rapier in the title bar
- navigated to Manage
- clicked on the tab titled Remote
- scrolled to en (English)
- selected Net-text, Strongs Greek and Hebrew, and TSK
- clicked ok
- back to preferences to change direcrory to home/user/N900/Documents then got a message:
"Problem changing data_path from /home/user/sword to /home/user/MyDocs/.documents: Operation not permitted"

Test 4: Can view text from loaded Bible
Steps to Reproduce:
- once bible was loaded, text displayed fine
- changed to model and navigated to new chapter verse and was successful (UI issues here if using finger-input)

Test 5: Can utilize all application functions
Result(s): Yes/Successful
Steps to Reproduce
- before I could search, had to build the index for each of the installed modules, but afterwards this worked fine
- navigating chapters was not hard, just not opimized for the UI
- the search has a broken icon (maybe to just make a new one for that feature)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i cant find it in the extras test.

what is it called?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
How do you get the strongs number database to work?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

@ceroberts75 - you can follow exactly what I did in the test above you to find Rapier in Extras-Testing

@cardiff-blues - I'm not sure that this is a good question for this specific thread as most who'd use Strong's Numbers would know how to utilize these as references. Ideally, you'd need a Strong's dictionary/lexicon. I'd recommend you to the Rapier homepage for some more specific instructions on how the modules - such as Strong's - work.

This is great! Thank you (whoever made and ported it) GBU =)

I couldn't get "search" to work. It just froze when I tried searching for a word.

UPDATE: SEARCH WORKS! (Sorry!) Just takes longer on common words like "God" or "Lord" etc.
This is wonderful!

Also, what should I do about "Storage Directory" and "Strong number database location"???

Last edited by hm88; 2010-01-07 at 06:53.

Just some thoughts on Katana... some of the items talked about in this video are things that would make *reading* a much better experience on a device like the N900. Panning instead of the endless page, context menus that open on a press-and-hold, and an ability to flow neatly whether portrait or landscape. I've not got the money to do what these folks did below, but I can wireframe and will do again at some point.

If you will, one should think about the experience of reading, before thinking about that of the features to enhance reading. Its a simpler - and usually much harder to attain - approach.

To those developers working with/on Katana, Qt4.6 has gone to beta for Maemo 5:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=481774

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword