Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Yorkshire, UK
Hi all and thanks to all those involved for an excellent app.

My one issue is with a shortcut. Did anyone managed to work out how to fix the desktop icon problem - I can't add a shortcut and have checked beneath widgets and icons on all four screens and can't see a Hotspot icon hiding anywhere.

I did have a problem a while back when I was having a tid up and when I did try to uninstall it, the n900 wouldn't restart, so I had to re-flash.

Apart from that it all works very well.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by call-151 View Post
Thanks for the work done on turning the N900 into a WIFI gateway.

I am having difficulties in getting this to work. Have upgraded to PR 1.2, and executed the following:
# /usr/sbin/mobilehotspot_backend start
then i used the Gui to start and the error message is "hotpsot failed to start".

Debug log as follows:
uname -r -> 2.6.28.10power37

Log file from running the backend is as follows:
Code:
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.85:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method
DEBUG: executing uname -r
DEBUG: executing lsmod
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 down
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 up
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 essid "Pinwheel"
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 10.89.55.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
DEBUG: executing /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -i wlan0 -a 10.89.55.1 -I lo -z -x /var/run/dnsmasq.wlan0.pid --dhcp-range=10.89.55.10,10.89.55.100,6h --dhcp-option=3,10.89.55.1 --dhcp-option=6,10.89.55.1
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush -t nat
DEBUG: executing iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface gprs0 -j MASQUERA
I have also tried the backend fix suggested by Flynx on #34 but to no avail.

There is also no response when i ping 10.89.55.1

Any suggestion on the next step to try and get this working?

Thank you.
I have also the dbus error, is there any solution yet?

Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
I have also the dbus error, is there any solution yet?
the dbus error is not a problem (as stated many times in this thread) on a very quick reading of the pasted output you quoted looks good to me (unless there's more and for example the dnsmasq part (it's the last thing to done by tghe backend) fails.

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
the dbus error is not a problem (as stated many times in this thread) on a very quick reading of the pasted output you quoted looks good to me (unless there's more and for example the dnsmasq part (it's the last thing to done by tghe backend) fails.

I see, though I wasn't able yet to make a successful connect. A while ago I was able to connect sometimes but the DNS didn't work and the application crashed quite fast. Afterwards the internet stopped working on the phone too so I had to restart it.

Well now I have quite the same situation but I can't even connect most of the time

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
successfully installed it... but when i connect my laptop... win7 os... it says "no internet access"... what should I do???

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
successfully installed it... but when i connect my laptop... win7 os... it says "no internet access"... what should I do???
Same here, then for some odd reason, I can't connect to my home Wi-Fi. I think it has something to do with the DHCP Lease time, because then the Wi-Fi works then next day, regardless if my computer was re-booted or not.

please look more into infrastructure mode as its the only way to connect the ps3 and psp online.........

I really hope to get it working sometime :/

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by killerjay View Post
http://andrewbrobinson.com/android-w...structure-mode

would this work with nitdroid?
As I wrote here[1], simply put the firmware biary blob that's loaded to the wifi chipset (necessary for this to be binary due to FCC regulations in the US, other regulations in other countries) does not support the needed functionality for AP mode. The Broadcom that's in the EVO obviously supports it (since they sell the capability, it's latent in the firmware and exposed from SW, normally once you've paid Sprint, in this case the undocumented backdoor has been exposed).

As such, at the fundamental SW-to-firmware level, this won't work. I had the opportunity to ask TI reps about the firmware, to which they responded that for the 1251 (what's in our devices) there are two firmwares: a wifi "station" version (used on our devices) and a Access Point firmware.

[1] Note that the comments in my previous post were made by Kalle Valo, the Nokia employee who implemented the drivers in the Linux kernel, as noted by the comments in the kernel source itself