Active Topics

Closed Thread
Good work Elop!
MS clearly was the right choice for the partner.
And a wise move to kill Meego too!

I don't think anybody is missing MeeGo when nobody in stock market knows about it, Symbian is the problem here. That platform was going to die anyways, but Elop accelerated that process.
Imo as weird as it might sound to some here in a long term decission i think he did the right thing. Not talking about MeeGo here, but Symbian most of all.
I would not touch Nokia stock this year even with a long stick. If it stays under 5.5e in Q4 i will be putting some cash to that direction.

-16.89% at OMXH

Last edited by tissot; 2011-05-31 at 14:49.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
The price for nokia is "slowly" getting right for M$....

Originally Posted by mbo View Post
The price for nokia is "slowly" getting right for M$....
Or for anybody really.
Nokia is a bargain at the moment. You would be buying one of Europes largest tech companies that got 11 billion in cash 130 000 workers, 8 factories and largest patent portfolio compared to any other tech company in Europe.

All that for around 35 billion euros.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
And a wise move to kill Meego too!
Well, not so much "kill" it as lock in it the basement and feed it only bread and water in case Nokia's competitors develop MeeGo into a winning platform with a vibrant ecosystem. Should that happen, Nokia will immediately throw open the basement door, allowing MeeGo to stumble forth, malnourished and blinking at the bright lights of the surface world, and "me too" itself into certain market domination.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Seems like the consumers (and stock holders) don't really care if Syimbian is old compared to iPhone, blah, blah, blah.

What matters is that's good enough for consumers to buy, a lot;
What matters to stock holders is that the consumers are buying.

Announcing a shift to WP7, in february, with the first phone coming only at Q4 is a very stupid move.

Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
Announcing a shift to WP7, in february, with the first phone coming only at Q4 is a very stupid move.
It's always easy to look to near future, but i think this was right thing to do looking past 6 months.
Symbian was clearly pass it's time and had been given 4 years to become something, it didn't and Android has been eating it like a cake and i saw zero reason for a change over there. Anna update is one more laugh worthy example here.
WP needed a shock start to get any interest towards Nokia anymore, get developers to WP and for once in 4 years make it clear what direction Nokia is going and hold on to it.

Nokia got the money to go trough this easily, that's not the problem, but they need to ensure that future platform actually moves forward and not have all this open "what if" stuff going on and if they do they are keeping it under the wraps.
Not what that total failiure of OPK did to Nokia.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
It's always easy to look to near future, but i think this was right thing to do looking past 6 months.
Symbian was clearly pass it's time and had been given 4 years to become something, it didn't and Android has been eating it like a cake and i saw zero reason for a change over there. Anna update is one more laugh worthy example here.
WP needed a shock start to get any interest towards Nokia anymore, get developers to WP and for once in 4 years make it clear what direction Nokia is going and hold on to it.

Nokia got the money to go trough this easily, that's not the problem, but they need to ensure that future platform actually moves forward and not have all this open "what if" stuff going on and if they do they are keeping it under the wraps.
Not what that total failiure of OPK did to Nokia.
I see no problem with your arguments, and WP7 have potential on being good to Nokia in the long run. The stupid idea in my opinion is to declare the main asset of the company "dead", when the substitute will only be available 9 months later. What they did expect to sell in the meantime? Who would buy Symbian if Nokia already declared it dead? I know about the support about 2016, but it doesn't help keeping it alive. It just put a date on it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Nokia just announced that sales would be lower than Nokia expected for the next few quarters, but it was optimistic about sales starting in the fourth quarter.

I don't see how anyone can make falling below your own projections into a plus. It means that Nokia doesn't understand the market dynamics and has been living in a dream world.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Or for anybody really.
Nokia is a bargain at the moment. You would be buying one of Europes largest tech companies that got 11 billion in cash 130 000 workers, 8 factories and largest patent portfolio compared to any other tech company in Europe.

All that for around 35 billion euros.
If Apple buys Nokia, I will weep.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen