Active Topics

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
I cant see Android with 2GB of ram with better multitask than Symbian with 512MB.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
@jalyst, yep great point and that does lessen the impact of 16GB storage. I hope they announce some date for US sales, I want to buy one to support them regardless of specs.............

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I care more about a decent camera with good ISO in lowlight than spechypes like 720p HD blablabla.. the bigger screenres the more battery drain...
Prepare to be disappointed there too...
At this rate all we'll have to buoy things slightly is "TOH".
But even that's not quite as ambitious as some hoped.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-20 at 05:48.

It's quite interesting/funny to see what is important to different people about a phone. It suddenly struck me that Jolla may have a good chance of being successful if they make a pretty phone.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
It's quite interesting/funny to see what is important to different people about a phone. It suddenly struck me that Jolla may have a good chance of being successful if they make a pretty phone.
Define pretty phone please?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I have no problem with it's aesthetics, looks "pretty enough" to me.
Build quality is much harder to be so sure about, at this stage...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Define pretty phone please?
I'll expand. I don't know what pretty is really, I'm not a Steve Jobs kind of person who has the ability to know naturally what most people will find pretty, and pretty enough to buy.

My statement touched on the market Jolla is aiming for to be successful, and I don't think HW specs have anything to do with that. Most people will get anything that looks pretty to them [and that roughly does the job]. This is my opinion anyway.

Personally, I find the pictures of the phone good to look at. Then again, I care more about usability, how easy it is to hold, to use with 1 hand and all that.

Not particularly disappointed with the HW specs, but again, I want to see how it runs first, how the screen performs regardless of the resolution and so on. I am prepared to be disappointed by the camera - there is no way that Jolla will get something that Nokia has. But again... think about it. Doesn't the iPhone 5's camera add a purple tone to every photo due to a defect in their hardware and they said basically f**k you? And people still buy it BECAUSE IT'S PRETTY? Seriously.

If I had to have this conversation with any of my non technical friends, they'd be bored already. I could sell them any phone that they don't have with 1 phrase that sounds convincing only because I am more technical than them and they respect my opinion. I've seen it happening, it is how the world works. People don't care, they want the latest and greatest when they can buy something.

Have I ranted too much? Sorry I hope you get the point though... we rant enough at TMO, we'll still get the phone. People who find it pretty will also get it. That will mean success to Jolla, they'll keep making phones, hopefully better, deifnitely prettier.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Well I was expecting better specs... I know the software layer will have undoubtely a key role here but still if you want to compete on hardware nowdays they will have to up their game.

At this stage maybe i could pay off to be able to run SailFish on a Nexus device ala Ubuntu or even better dual-booting so people can experience a gesture based OS and getting some buzz for the future.

if camera quality is good and it supports 4G LTE then am happy! No worries about software...

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

Originally Posted by praveenchand View Post
if camera quality is good and it supports 4G LTE then am happy! No worries about software...
Why don't you get a Lumia then? They have the best camera that you will find. If you really don't care about the software (presumably you mean the OS+applications), then it's the best choice if those 2 things are important to you.

I'm hating having to give this advice though :-)

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla