Active Topics

i remember that kbbd has two parameters: one for keyboard type, another for the serial input

but you only are specifying the keyboard type

you need to do the rfcomm thing to make the serial device in /dev
and then you run kbbd with that serial device as the input AND the keyboard type!

Originally Posted by JoHnY View Post
5. Send this command:
Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez  /org/bluez/11984/hci0/dev_00_07_61_75_xx_xx org.bluez.Input.Connect
BUT you need to replace /org/bluez/11984/hci0 by whatever response you got in step 2 (actually the number should be only thing that will be different) and replace 00_07_61_75_xx_xx by the mac address of your keyboard from step 4 (replacing all colons by underscores)
JoHnY
Johny, thank you for taking the time for writing such a great manual. But at step 5 I end up with a "Host is down (112)". :-(

The Keyboard (Stowaway XTBT01) does not show up when searching for it (hildon-im-xkbtool --list). Neither is it properly connected as a HID device. It shows up in the list of bluetooth devices as a keyboard and a trusted device, but when I click on it the "disconnect"-button is greyed out and there is no indicator blinking on the keyboard.

After about 3 hours of "what the" I tend to give up. Any advice? I would be very thankful.

Anyways, great all of you shared so much experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by ericf2009 View Post
Thank you both for the quick responses! And thanks to the rest of the contributors to this thread, especially qobi! This is very encouraging.

However, I think my input profile was unchanged by the update. If you mean by that the DisablePlugins setting in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. It is still "network, hal" only, no "input". And my chinook files are still where they were, in /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook. But there's no reason to expect xkbmap to work or the keys to appear if hildon-im-xkbtool doesn't show the device. The only proof I have they talk at all is that the pairing "succeeds".

But I don't mind getting everybody out of the car then back in and trying again. I'll do that tonight and report success or not!

Update: Got it to work with JoHnY's dbus-send and hcitool scan commands. I also had to to delete the keyboard from the N900's bluetooth devices list and re-pair. Thank you! Now all is fine except the Enter key goes silent periodically. Somewhere else in this thread is the clue to use Ctl-Enter in this case and that indeed works. But I've found after a few times even that doesn't work if the N900 slider keyboard is closed. With the slider open Enter always works. That's fine, it's better open anyway. The little screen is just that much closer. This is an outstanding 12.5 oz full keyboard computer!

Update continued: This still works, but there are anamolies and the setup dies out periodically. The routine is:

1) turn on bluetooth (assuming you've paired the keyboard previously)

2) run the setxkbmap command (I made an alias in my .profile, as an example, it is: "gkb='setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us')

3) Hit some key on the N900's slide-out keyboard (THIS is easy to forget!) and you're set. I've typed this msg using the iGo Ultra Slim Stowaway. For some reason I had to do step's 2 and & 3 twice. Still it's an outstanding solution. Thanks again to all contributors!!
Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem... Stowaway pairs but doesn't really connect... I'll try the "JoHnY's dbus-send and hcitool scan commands" solution tomorrow.

Originally Posted by pfandtasse View Post
Johny, thank you for taking the time for writing such a great manual. But at step 5 I end up with a "Host is down (112)". :-(

The Keyboard (Stowaway XTBT01) does not show up when searching for it (hildon-im-xkbtool --list). Neither is it properly connected as a HID device. It shows up in the list of bluetooth devices as a keyboard and a trusted device, but when I click on it the "disconnect"-button is greyed out and there is no indicator blinking on the keyboard.

After about 3 hours of "what the" I tend to give up. Any advice? I would be very thankful.

Anyways, great all of you shared so much experience.

I was getting mad trying to get my keyboard to work, and I had the same error, a time out.

And after some testing, I realized that all the batteries I was trying were almost empty. Have you tried with a 100% full battery? Not a recharggeable one?

The python script with the notifications and setxkbmap configuration gives me an error. I can use it by manually writing the number 4 on it.

This is the output:

Code:
ERROR:dbus.connection:Exception in handler for D-Bus signal:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/dbus/connection.py", line 214, in maybe_handle_message
    self._handler(*args, **kwargs)
  File "./keyboard.py", line 34, in connected
    keybId = re.search("ID (\\d+), Name: \"" + KEYBOARDNAME, str(testi)).group(1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
Also, the keyboard disconnects randomly, so I added to the python script a line to launch again the dbus-send when it detects that the keyboard disconnected:
Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.blue  /org/bluez/${NUMERO}/hci0/dev_${MAC_TECLAT} org.bluez.Input.Connect
Obviously the disconnection has nothing to do with the script, but has anyone experienced it? I have to test more my keyboard (arrived today at home) to know when and why that happens...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, I can confirm ericf2009's experience exactly.
I needed to use the whole connection procedure from this post to get the Stowaway to connect (ie turn the bluetooth icon blue), and it took me several tries; it is incredibly picky...

Then, once connected, and with the pc105 keyboard hack, most keys work, except the Enter key needs Ctrl-Enter, and the slide-out keyboard must be out.

If the keyboard "goes to sleep" because I'm not using it, I have to run the setxkbmap routine again.

EDIT: even more confirmation of ericf2009's experience. Sometimes the Enter key works fine (no CTRL needed).

EDIT2: More confirmation, the numeric keys won't work after sleep-then-wake until a key is pressed on the internal keyboard, then the setxkbmap is run again.

Thanks for all of the helpful posts, guys.

<sarcastic>And thanks Nokia for making this so easy!</sarcastic>

Last edited by qole; 2010-07-08 at 18:42.

To get the full BT keyboard layout to work in Easy Debian LXDE, run this from the terminal:

NOTE that this seems to disable the internal keyboard's blue numbers (device number isn't honoured by xkbcomp I guess), so, keep that in mind.

ALSO NOTE that the device number doesn't seem to matter if you do it this way.

Code:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us -print | xkbcomp - :1 2>/dev/null
EDIT: This seems to get the internal keyboard numbers back for Maemo at least (I don't know how to get it back for Easy Debian yet, other than logging out of LXDE and restarting):

Code:
 setxkbmap -device 3 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb -rules base
I had to then re-issue the external keyboard map command again to get the external keyboard to work properly in Maemo too...

Code:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us

Last edited by qole; 2010-07-08 at 22:35.

I've made a package to make the BT mouse and keyboard work. See this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Somewhere on earth
Originally Posted by qobi View Post
I figured out why other people were not able to replicate my ability to get bluetooth keyboards to work. It was due to residue from some of my early attempts. This post outlines what I believe should work for everyone.

First, let me emphasize that you should not attempt to do this unless you know what you are doing. If you make a mistake and mess up the /usr/share/X11/xkb directory you will brick your device and need to reflash. I know because I did.

This assumes that you have already enabled HID bluetooth by editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf as described elsewhere. And that you hae already installed /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook from the tar file that I posted earlier in this thread.

As root do:
# cd /usr/share/X11
# cp -i xkb-chinook/symbols/pc xkb/symbols/.
# cp -i xkb-chinook/symbols/us xkb/symbols/.
# cp -i xkb-chinook/geometry/pc xkb/geometry/.

Make sure that in the above you give cp the -i option and that you do not overwrite any files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/

Then as user do:
$ setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us
Then type a key (any key) on the internal keyboard. Now the external keyboard should work.

I don't know why you need to type a key on the internal keyboard for this to take effect.

The above assume that the keyboard is connected to device 4 which is what usually happens. But you should check first as described earlier in this thread.

You will need to reissue the setxkbmap command (as user) and type a key on the internal keyboard each time you connect the bluetooth keyboard. I find that periodically, the bluetooth connection to the keyboard is dropped and reinitialized. I don't know why this happens. But when it does you need to reissue the setxkbmap command and type a key on the internal keyboard. So I find it useful to have a shell script for it.

If someone else gets this to work, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Following this, it work like Charmmmm. Now my Vaio Keyboard is working now. i've tried ID 4 wont work, then i've ID 5 as it listed, it works.
thanks......

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2010 @ DFW, Texas
Howdy!

I tried to get this to work, but for some reason it fails. I am able to get my keyboard to (finally) associate with my N900 once I do the dbus-send. It will also send keystrokes to my N900, but with all the mapping issues everyone's complained about.

I have the xkb-chinook files installed and tried the setxkbmap command you gave above. It didn't seem to change the keymap whatsoever. (And yes, I did check that my keyboard is device #4.)

Do you have any inputs on what I might try?

I'm trying this with the Menotek waterproof flexible keyboard.