Active Topics

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
The price for N9 phones have been lowered in Sweden. Is this a sign of that Nokia is checking if they should start to focus a bit more on MeeGo?
I'd say it's a sign that a price reduction is necessary to boost falling demand, now that they are done with fleecing all the early adopters. There's nothing unusual about this.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I'd say it's a sign that a price reduction is necessary to boost falling demand, now that they are done with fleecing all the early adopters. There's nothing unusual about this.
i am not sure if the demand is really that low. I have been in a mobile shop today in Germany and asked about Lumina 800 and N9. They sell only a very few L800´s (even if this is the most advertised mobile in this shop) but today, they had 3 requests for N9. Unfortunately, they cannot sell it, because its in Germany. Note, that its now 15:00 here so there are still some hours where people might request that phone :P

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
this is maemo community, lets hope someday another company bring us a fresh new start for maemo, nokia is dumb enough to listening and theyre never learn a thing, i love maemo

send it from my N900(the one that never go old)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
are you stupid or you dont know how to read or are you simply ignoring what i wrote? you are mixing market share and sale numbers yet again...lets say nokias market share was 100% and they sold 1 million devices quarterly and then android and ios came and nokias share went down to 30% share with symbian but sold 2 million devices quarterly, which one is better? the second situation is better and that is where nokia was when the decided to kill symbian, they were selling more devices than ever just on a much larger market, BUT THEIR SALES WERE GOING UP AND NOT DOW AND THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, SYMBIAN WAS GROWING!
Thanks for calling me stupid. It really validates your point.

I guess you overlooked the statement I made about how Symbian was a big seller for Nokia until Elop made that announcement distancing Nokia from Symbian.

So let's recap, in smaller words. Symbian was selling great. Along came Elop. He stated that Nokia was going away from Symbian. Sales started slipping on Symbian. WP7 isn't selling great - 1 million or so phones tops so far for Nokia; more for Symbian even on their decline. Nokia's share is lesser now than ever. And their valuation - be it stock or otherwise - is lower now too.

Sales might have been going up, but not after Elop's comments. Added on top of the loss of sales due to competition, that's not a good formula for Nokia. Worse, WP7 isn't gathering the attention of even Harmattan right now.

And in the future, keep the conversation civil and adult. I know it's hard to do, but it makes for a better community.

Take care.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
i am not sure if the demand is really that low. I have been in a mobile shop today in Germany and asked about Lumina 800 and N9. They sell only a very few L800´s (even if this is the most advertised mobile in this shop) but today, they had 3 requests for N9. Unfortunately, they cannot sell it, because its in Germany. Note, that its now 15:00 here so there are still some hours where people might request that phone :P
You can't extrapolate anything useful from that. I went to my local phone shop and they told me that had not sold any iPhones today. I guess the iPhone is not selling too well.

No business reduces the price of a product if they are able to sell it at the existing price.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
4. Develop and launch a Harmattan device at the £100/150euro price point ASAP.
Harmattan should stay in the high end. Belle is more than excellent for the mid and low end. Harmattan will attract people to buy a Nokia. Belle will more than satisfy with its previously planned shared app library.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia ends production in Europe and Latin America... yeah. That's the kind of stuff that happens when your share, your margins and valuation(s) drop.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Harmattan should stay in the high end. Belle is more than excellent for the mid and low end. Harmattan will attract people to buy a Nokia. Belle will more than satisfy with its previously planned shared app library.
My theory is that Harmattan is a lot more "hackable" and developer friendly than Belle/symbian.

Having a phone at this price point which is open & developer friendly would gather a lot of attention, similar to how Android handsets such as the ZTE blade and Cresent have done (Orange SanFrancisco and II in the UK).

Not that it matters, as Elop has made Nokia's bed and they are determined to lay in it until the bitter end.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

They said today, their plan B is to make plan A work, so Nokia will die with WP.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Thanks for calling me stupid. It really validates your point.

I guess you overlooked the statement I made about how Symbian was a big seller for Nokia until Elop made that announcement distancing Nokia from Symbian.

So let's recap, in smaller words. Symbian was selling great. Along came Elop. He stated that Nokia was going away from Symbian. Sales started slipping on Symbian. WP7 isn't selling great - 1 million or so phones tops so far for Nokia; more for Symbian even on their decline. Nokia's share is lesser now than ever. And their valuation - be it stock or otherwise - is lower now too.

Sales might have been going up, but not after Elop's comments. Added on top of the loss of sales due to competition, that's not a good formula for Nokia. Worse, WP7 isn't gathering the attention of even Harmattan right now.

And in the future, keep the conversation civil and adult. I know it's hard to do, but it makes for a better community.

Take care.
i didnt call you stupid, i asked you a question since you made a mistake, i corrected you and in your response to me you again the same invalid point as in your previous post so that doesnt leave many options as to why you did it and my question was valid

btw:
gerbick:

I think you all are arguing from different angles sorta the same thing. Let's put it this way... if your market share drops considerably, then your margins need to jump considerably - I haven't seen any proof of that yet.

If you switch to something that's not selling well, your profits will invariably decline as well as your valuation - case in point, Nokia's stock is less now than it was a year ago... under $5.00, I bought in at low $8.00, sold at $8.40, got out before this drop.

GrimyHR:
you are mixing market share and sale numbers, if SALE NUMBERS fall THAN you need tu boost up your margins, and at the time nokia anounced that its killing symbian(around the time n8 was the top symbian device), even thou the market share percentage was down, the NUMBER OF SYMBIAN DEVICES SOLD WAS BIGGER THAN EVER!

gerbick:
And you're quite mistaken my friend.

Let's keep numbers simple.

I once sold something for $1.00 in a 1 million lot - so 1 million dollars, and it cost me 50 cents to make each and advertise. The margin would be 50 cents on each, so half a million would go into my pocket.

I now sell something for $1.00 in a half million lot - so half a million dollars and it still cost me 50 cents to make each and advertise. The margin would be the same, so quarter of a million would go into my pocket.

If I want half a million to go into my pocket, I would either have to sell the product for higher, advertise it less but still sell, sell more, or find other ways to cut corners if my sales were lower than before and I want to pocket the same. Or diversify. Or expand to new areas.

Nokia's not doing any of the above. Their market share is shrinking meanwhile world population is growing. They might be charging higher for certain products, but those aren't selling high. The one thing that sold in mass quantities is on the decline because of prior announcements - read: Symbian.

you really dont see your mistake? its not a small one you know...

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows