Active Topics

Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

@daperl:
They both use an OMAP3 SoC with similar qualities, and for that matter the N900 one is also similar (although of a different model b/c it's a phone). The Pandora has twice the amount of NAND flash compared to the BB though (and it used to have twice as much RAM too, but the latest revision of BB has changed that).

BB and Pandora both have Angstrom-based "default" system software, so yes, there is considerable possibilities for code sharing and common development. But it's better than that: With last year's Pandora development kit I built some software (simple SDL game stuff) that would run just fine on my N800 (OS2007). That is, the executable itself ran on everything (BB/Pandora/N800). Obviously later SDKs are more geared to OMAP3, and there will be OpenGL ES applications etc. that won't run on my OS2007-based N800 out of the box. The N900 should be an even better match at this point.

The Pandora is already using a wi-fi driver based on the open-source efforts of Nokia (it was originally based on a binary blob, which wasn't as good). And all these projects are forwarding changes/improvements to the kernel upstream and will probably help to improve each other.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-10-26 at 14:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
.... I wonder if they are sticking N900's inside the Pandora case?
The Pandora team has an extremely good board designer, so there's no need for that )

They must have a very understanding bank or investers to allow this much time to go by with no real product to support a revenue stream.
The investors are simply us: Those of us who pre-ordered. That was the idea all the time - the preorders pay for the production. The Pandora team does not have any bank loans, and there's no 3party company anywhere which can put pressure on design (read: No marketdroids can destroy the design).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Meh, I got sick of waiting the insane time that it took for the Pandora to come to be built (and its still not done) since I originally preordered (well over a year ago), so I just took my money back. I put my faith in Nokia to finish first.

@TA-t3

[thread hijack]
Thanks for all that good news and information. I'm not as bold as you and I'm very lazy, and that's why I write most of my stuff with pygtk. But it's good to hear that people like yourself are properly leveraging the power of shared libraries. For what I use it for, the n8x0 has proven to be an excellent platform and I won't be abandoning it. I plan on keeping it part of my test bed as long as I can. That said, and because of my recent needs, the time might be ripe for me to pay closer attention to Mer.
[/thread hijack]

Go Pandora! Go Nokia! Go Mer! Go TI! Go AI! Microsoft Die!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Johnx: I don't get an us-and-them feeling from this thread.

Just for comparison, the N900 is shipping a month later than expected when pre-orders were opened to the public. Have you seen the insane posts in the long long threads yelling at Nokia about it?

This thread is quiet and restrained in comparison. We all want Pandora to ship, and we're having a bit of fun about trying to guess who will get their product out the door first.

It has been a very long time since anyone has shipped anything. We're a bit impatient.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Johnx: I don't get an us-and-them feeling from this thread.

Just for comparison, the N900 is shipping a month later than expected when pre-orders were opened to the public. Have you seen the insane posts in the long long threads yelling at Nokia about it?

This thread is quiet and restrained in comparison. We all want Pandora to ship, and we're having a bit of fun about trying to guess who will get their product out the door first.

It has been a very long time since anyone has shipped anything. We're a bit impatient.
Good point! If you extrapolate from a one month N900 delay and those same people with the one year delay for Pandora- ZOWEEEE!

This thread would be a dark hole sucking in time and space. Really.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So, fanoush, do you have your N900 developer device yet?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So, fanoush, do you have your N900 developer device yet?
Yes :-) Got it week (or two?) ago. Same day as others in Europe. As for the bet we never finished (right?) - I would lose and you would win, congratulations :-) I still think I wouldn't mind losing.

Up to the last minute when DDP waked from 1 month sleep and started to send shipping confirmations it was really hard to know who will win. Both parties tried very hard to be as slow as possible and finally Nokia lost temper in this snail race :-) If you checked latest pandora news (pandorapress.net) they semi-seriously planned (i.e. confirmed like many times before) to ship before this christmas but failed (again :-) The final case is not finished yet, some final tuning still needed. But we see first final black pandoras and there is even one recent review in the blog from someone visiting Evildragon at home and testing the black one so it is really near this time Maybe "in two months(tm)" is really becoming "in one month (tm)"? Would I count as being optimist or pesimist when I say now than Pandora will ship before RX-71?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
fanoush: If you wouldn't mind losing, there are many people (including me) who would be very grateful to you if you did some work on any of the tasks you mentioned:

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I... or you could choose from list of following tasks for me to do
- implement screen rotation to 770 2.6.16 kernel (for OS2006 and hacker editions), sadly the kernel part only, not sure about xserver side, OS2007 and up is perhaps OK, OS2006 version sources had incomplete dependencies so I failed to rebuild it when I tried
- implement screen rotation and port tearsync to any kernel Mer will use for 770
or you can suggest something similar related to kernel or http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ stuff that needs improvement :-)
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Another ideas are
- make N8x0 screen rotation working with xv overlay properly (video playback while rotated)
- backport/implement xv overlay (=more framebuffer planes) to 770 kernel
- write cal-tool command replacement that could safely write r&d mode, serial console and watchdog flags and any other value stored in CAL area (/dev/mtd1) directly from tablet via messages sent to dsme
My personal favorite is the N8x0 xv overlay rotation. That would be a great benefit...

EDIT: I don't own a 770 so your 770 work wouldn't be so interesting to me. But I bet some would be ecstatic...

By the way, you're right, it really seemed there was a "who can be the slowest" race between Pandora team and Nokia.

Last edited by qole; 2009-12-22 at 00:05.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Concerning Pandora, there's a fresh hands-on review:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...ndora-preview/
In next two months it's going to be available

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox