Notices

No dice. The main widget apparently waits for the clock's draw_clock method to return before updating the display. (Wonko: Any chance of something that will let a custom clock update it?) Until then, my Flip Clock must wait.

First of all, excuse the late response.
Am pretty busy right now.

Originally Posted by NightShift79 View Post
the AlarmDisplayClock doesn't show the correct next alarm for me...
it shows the actual time and under it it shows also the time less 20min. no alarm set to that time...
Thanks for the info.
There are currently some limitations with respect to alarm handling.
E.g., I only tested it with a single alarm so far.
Also, alarms are only recognized when they are set when the plugin is already running.

Originally Posted by skykooler
No dice. The main widget apparently waits for the clock's draw_clock method to return before updating the display. (Wonko: Any chance of something that will let a custom clock update it?) Until then, my Flip Clock must wait.
Maybe using "pure" pygtk and animated gifs could be an option to achieve some animation?
http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=sh...=faq23.037.htp
Limitation would be of course that the length of the animation must be less than one second.
Edit: and you would need to take care its only played once.

Also, I don't know how much performance something like this would need.
But I guess this would be something one needs to have a look at as well.

Last edited by Wonko; 2011-01-26 at 08:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Hey there.
First let me tell you, that I really like the idea about having binary clock in the status area.
Second: I had one of the older versions instaled, then uninstalled as I was trying diffeent looks.

Third: here comes the problem. I'm unable to install the plugin now. The two python dependencies installs ok and for the plugin alone there's an error.

Now, what really is weird i can actually see the plugin's UI in my settings. So I guess it just didn't uninstall correctly the first time. I'm stuck now with the binary clock, which is ok, but lacks the configurability.

see the log from fapman attached.
Thanks in advance for any help
--- 2011-01-26 12:58:06 ---

Output from last process:

---

Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

The following extra packages will be installed:

gnome-python python-all

The following NEW packages will be installed:

advanced-clock-plugin gnome-python python-all

0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.

Inst python-all (2.5.2-3maemo4 Extras:2.0/fremantle-1.3, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle, Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

Inst gnome-python (2.18.0-2maemo6 Extras:2.0/fremantle-1.3, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle, Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

Inst advanced-clock-plugin (0.13.1 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

Conf python-all (2.5.2-3maemo4 Extras:2.0/fremantle-1.3, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle, Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

Conf gnome-python (2.18.0-2maemo6 Extras:2.0/fremantle-1.3, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle, Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

Conf advanced-clock-plugin (0.13.1 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

--- 2011-01-26 12:59:20 ---

/usr/bin/apt-get -qy --allow-unauthenticated -o DPkg:ptions::=--force-confnew -o Dir::Etc::sourcelist=/opt/fapman-cache/sources.list -o Dir::State::lists=/opt/fapman-cache/lists -o Dir::Etc::sourceparts="" --auto-remove install advanced-clock-plugin

Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

The following extra packages will be installed:

gnome-python python-all

The following NEW packages will be installed:

advanced-clock-plugin gnome-python python-all

0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.

Need to get 152kB of archives.

After this operation, 623kB of additional disk space will be used.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

python-all gnome-python advanced-clock-plugin

Authentication warning overridden.

Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle-1.3/free python-all 2.5.2-3maemo4 [888B]

Get:2 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle-1.3/free gnome-python 2.18.0-2maemo6 [94,8kB]

Get:3 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free advanced-clock-plugin 0.13.1 [56,5kB]

Fetched 152kB in 11s (13,0kB/s)

Selecting previously deselected package python-all.

(Reading database ... 33926 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking python-all (from .../python-all_2.5.2-3maemo4_all.deb) ...

Selecting previously deselected package gnome-python.

Unpacking gnome-python (from .../gnome-python_2.18.0-2maemo6_armel.deb) ...

Unpacking advanced-clock-plugin (from .../advanced-clock-plugin_0.13.1_armel.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/advanced-clock-plugin_0.13.1_armel.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite `/opt/maemo/usr/bin/advanced-clock-plugin-settings-ui', which is also in package advanced-clock-plugin-settings-ui

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/advanced-clock-plugin_0.13.1_armel.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Originally Posted by Tinukedaya View Post
Third: here comes the problem. I'm unable to install the plugin now. The two python dependencies installs ok and for the plugin alone there's an error.
This is because I had the settings UI and the plugin in different packages which I merged in a single package later on.
Now the new package tries to overwrite a file which is originally owned by the settings UI package.

In order to fix this you need to completely uninstall Advanced Clock Plugin including the settings UI and then you can reinstall the newer version.
You can do this e.g. with (as root):
Code:
dpkg -r advanced-clock-plugin
dpkg -r advanced-clock-plugin-settings-ui
After this you can install Advanced Clock Plugin as usual via the package manager.
Excuse the inconvenience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Worked like a charm. Thanks, keep it up!

Oh well.

I indeed installed the plugin without any troubles, but now it's actually ain't working. I can change all settings and it'll accept it, but that's the last time it refreshes the clock. so right now it basically show only the time of last settings change.

I feel like my watches run out of battery.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Probably stupid question, but did you reboot? (Way too often I've seen people have package problems on the N900 because of a lack of rebooting.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-27 at 18:49.

yeah... the first thing I did... and actually I should have mentioned that in the post before... after reboot i have no clock at all and the clock selection button in settings is empty.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinukedaya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Maybe using "pure" pygtk and animated gifs could be an option to achieve some animation?
http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=sh...=faq23.037.htp
Limitation would be of course that the length of the animation must be less than one second.
Edit: and you would need to take care its only played once.

Also, I don't know how much performance something like this would need.
But I guess this would be something one needs to have a look at as well.
That would require the plugin to call the window object itself, which seems outside of its scope. What I would like to be able to do is add
Code:
import advanced-clock-plugin
or whatever to the imports and then just call
Code:
advanced-clock-plugin.redraw()
or whatever the method is called when I need to. But I would need that method to be in place. Perhaps I could just call the method you are using to draw the clock? But it seems as though that could run into some issues with infinite loops, which is why I would prefer a separate method if possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Can't we just have an optional "self.clock_refresh_rate = " variable, in the init area of the clock style? And then change the clock.py itself to check what that contains, and then if that's empty, set it to whatever the default is (minutes/seconds)?

You could enable it in, IDK, 100ths of a second. So a second-refresh rate would be self.clock_refresh_rate = 100, and so if someone REALLY wanted to make the resource hogging animated clocks some people here want, we could probably make that happen. I mean, you only need 30 frames per sec. to actually get smooth animation, and for something you're not looking at often, you could just set it to, say, 10, and then that's ten refreshes a second?

Personally, I'd be happy with just a 'refresh every second' option, myself, but if people really want their clocks hogging resources non-stop...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: