Active Topics

Originally Posted by slender View Post
You managed to write that amount of text without:
-Telling what was wrong with default chess app
--I can easily distinguish different pieces...hmmm..what chess app you are talking about?
btw:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/miniature/
http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature

These kind of post: "Dude x from z laughed that this is useless and I agreed" are just well...joke. When you are writing to forums you are probably trying to convince people and make point. BUT to make point you have to have facts/evidences/comparisons/numbers etc. Without them it´s just mumbling to other people.

I´m do not agreeing or disagreeing that default chess app is joke but I´m trying to point out that maybe people should really think why some people get little offensive when you jump conclusion without really showing and explaining the whole path to that conclusion.

.edit
wtf
You have commented to this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34242&page=7
oh pleeze, my phone came with a chess app, (ok I got it used) I am pretty sure it was there preloaded, so I mean that app and no I can't distinguish between the pieces for instance a bishop and a pawn look almost exactly the same. I am not the first person who has pointed out the weakness of chess here and I just was making the point that many things are half baked. no take back move? close app by minimizing and then repeatedly trying to hit the little x? common...and you found my post offensive? wow you must be touchy.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
oh pleeze, my phone came with a chess app, (ok I got it used) I am pretty sure it was there preloaded, so I mean that app and no I can't distinguish between the pieces for instance a bishop and a pawn look almost exactly the same. I am not the first person who has
To me you are..So learn to make argument!
pointed out the weakness of chess here and I just was making the point that many things are half baked. no take back move? close app by minimizing and then repeatedly trying to hit the little x? common...and you found my post offensive? wow you must be touchy.
Those things should have been in your first post and btw. have you made bug report? Take this as lesson and thank me. Welcome to the Internet!

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-13 at 05:51.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So we're arguing about chess apps now? Impressive.

I never liked the kerning on the N900's system font. The descenders are not as long as I'd prefer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
To me you are..So learn to make argument!

Those should have been in your first post.(btw. have you made bug report?) Take this as lesson and thank me. Welcome to Internet!
Its a bit hard to make argument to a person who cannot make sentence. And I was not here to make argument I was here to make observation, you decided to make argument. If you love the chess game you a) have great eyes and b) have never done a search regarding peoples feelings about the app on this forum.

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-12-13 at 02:46.

Posts: 1,196 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
Thanks for a well thought comment.

however if you read a few pages back,i was refering to the general popluation who bought the n900. I'll repeat it again, the n900 was pushed agressvely as some kind of a 'flagship' device both in the east and in europe.

and YES, the N900 is great for me or for any other tech savvy guys.
but i was refering to the general population who bought it, because of Nokia's pushy stratagy.

When I look at my dad, who has an E61, he will be SO lost if he had a n900. lost at first, anoyed later. So many guys like him did buy a n900. nokia flashed the mighty hw specs into their eyes in electronics stores in EU or east, and they had fallen. Some realized quickly enough and returned but some must've didnt, and for them i said what i said.

btw, you cant compare a community driven version of Meggo to a corporate driven version of Android. the difference is the effort that the corporates(Google,Nokia) puts into it. Its obvious who wins here.
Is that so that the N900 was aggressively pushed as a flagship device?

I feel it was really hidden from public in some countries.

Speaking for Belgium - Europe the Nokia N900 was not pushed at all.
In December 09 I was there hunting for an N900.

Webshops had it on backorder - no availability.

So I went on the street checking 7 shops (including Media Markt, Phone house, Mobistar mobile operator shop, anything selling phones)

None of them had ever heard about the Nokia N900. So far for the big shopping centers.

Looking back the best answer I received in the last shop: Mobistar shop in a small local town. It was also my last inquiry and attempt to go abroad with a N900 in my pocket.

There was a young guy looking smart with huge Iphone picture on the background in the counter. Shop was empty.

-I'm looking for a THE Nokia N900
-What is that, N900 are you sure about the number? Don't you mean N97?
-No I am absolutely sure, I am looking for the latest greatest and hippest Nokia phone.
-But then I can assure you that the Nokia N97 IS the latest, greatest and hippest from Nokia.
-No really that should be the N900, I am surprised you don't know it. Don't you automatically receive some product briefing now and then?
The seller started thinking...
-Oh, maybe N900 must be one of those internet tablets then?

I must admit at this point I knew from reviews N900 could call cellular so I considered it as good as a phone as the N97 so I thanked and left giving up finding the phone that week.

A month later I spotted the N900 in a Phone Hall shop booth in a supermarket. The seller had 2 and I was his first N900 customer.
He did know it had a "different operation system".
A few days later I have met him on the trains - he was on route to some education center for receiving updated sales training.
I told him I was nothing but impressed by the N900 - apart from the battery life.

In August - I went back in that Mobistar "maybe an internet tablet" shop to replace my SIM card.

The same guy -now carrying an iPhone 4- helped me out registering a new SIM card.
I pulled out my 7months old N900 intending to swap the SIM and immediately he reacted:

Wow, nice phone.

I told him that was the Nokia N900, the best money could buy (at least for me) Showed him the multitasking interface briefly.

He responed that immediately he noticed this was a high end PHONE

(must be experience logic speaking - if it accepts a SIM it is a phone)

Last edited by ste-phan; 2010-12-13 at 03:58.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
hahaha... speaking of flagship devices...

I went hunting around for the n900, and some n900 accessories..

I think I must have went into 5/6 different shops before actually seeing one n900 device..

and I needed to go into more than 20 shops in 2 different states to find an n900 hard leather pouch...

all asking "N900?"

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
I paid six hundred dollars. Nokia didn't "give" me anything.
Well if your going to put it like that. Nokia "gave us" the choice to buy the device. More fool you for buying it if that's how you feel.

It pays to do a bit of research before you buy any thing. Or are you one of thoes dudes that'll say a xbox is better than a ps3 in terms of spec/performance because it's made by Microsoft?

So again to your $600, think before you buy...

The Following User Says Thank You to Kamen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Not to be a d*ck or anything, but you suck at the internet. And you wouldn't need such a sh*tty signature if you didn't suck so bad at the internet.
Sorry about the long reply, is that better?

Never really been a big fan of fourms, althought they can be helpful. Unless everyone's getting trolled lol, they can be slightly annoying.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Chess app discussion??

Every single chess app for the N900 sucks.

I did the ChessWatch site (known worldwide) for six years

Worked for Garry Kasparov in Moscow.

Worked for ICC.

Had the only daily chess newscast in the world.

Anyone disagrees? What is your experience? Rating? History of online play?

The best thread to say slogans!
Nokia should.....
We must...
Down with.....

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest