Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
OK, i finally understood: I'm lying, you are always right and what you see in the munich underground is representative for all markets in the world.

I'm so thankful that my life was blessed by meeting somebody (if only online) who knows "the truth".
I see. Time to end this thread, I suppose. My apologies for having doubted that someone not interested in technical stuff could buy anything more than a dishwasher.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
and made damn sure to tell anyone they can reach that microsoft products (or anything else PC for that matter. and yes, the paradox there is highly ironic. so is the dual layer of that two letter, as being politically correct is starting to seem more and more boring) are for graying men in suits.

lets not forget two things about the iphone.

first, the faithful had been blogging about the chance of something like that ever since nokia and others started putting mp3 players into phones.

second, the iphone is not the first. the first was a 100 song app inside a motorola rokr. it bombed so bad that i suspect anyone responsible for that inside apple is either buried in the basement or gone into hiding.

what makes the iphone the thing it is, is not the hardware, or the software, its the whole package, including itunes and itms. if one have owned a ipod before, and faithfully synced it with itunes so that both had learned the media tastes of the user, then popping in a iphone will be a seamless upgrade of capabilities.

they twisted the arm of at&t and others to get within reach of their main demographic (most winmob devices are burdened by business, not consumer, aimed plans).

and they made damn sure to have video demos of how "cool" it was to interact with the device, and at the same time showing of its capabilities. most other companies seems to leave it at "name dropping", expecting the customer to be up to speed on the "lingo".

its like they say about writing books, show, dont tell. or in other words, use descriptions of what happens in detail, not just boil it down to some dense words and leave it at that.

one wants to plant a image in the head of the user about how one "appears" when using something, not just explain what it can do in quick words like web, mail, video...

to pull out that old car comparison, iirc the number of people interested in car mods spiked after fast and the furious hit the theathers. most had no clue what they where doing, and looked directly silly in the eyes of the people in the know. but in their own heads they where vin diesel punching that nox button and yanking the gear stick.
They were able to create a relatively good finger/touch based interface for visual oriented users. That is something no other corporation has been able to do in the (smart)phone market. I hope Nokia will be able to do this with Maemo 5 on the tablet market, and judging from what I read throughout this thread as well as other tidbits of information (e.g. Maemo summit) it seems this area will get attention.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
kinda like how apple dont sell hardware, they sell an experience?
Right on! Theres a great line in recent Caddilac ads that illustrates this kind of sales proposition. "When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
For a product to be successful, it's necessary (though not sufficient) to be able to define it in one sentence.

The iPhone is: "A touch-screen phone that's also an iPod".

The BlackBerry was "Push email".

The Wii is "Game console with a motion sensor".

The Motorola RAZR was "Insanely thin clamshell".

The Titanic was "Unsinkable luxury ocean liner".

The Walkman was "Music on-the-go".

The N800/N810 are "Internet on-the-go".

Nokia N95 is "Maximal convergence device".

Nokia 5800 is "Comes with music".

Unix is "Everything is a file".

The idea needs to be in place before the product is designed. Once you have the "single big idea", the rest of the product design more-or-less falls into place around it.

If you can't convey the idea of a product concisely, not only won't it be possible to market it successfully, but the product itself will probably bomb because it lacks a sense of purpose and will end up being designed by committee.

For the N900, "Full internet in your pocket, always connected" would do it for me.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Somebody thinks they know what a "geek" is: The 50 Skills Every Geek Should Have

3. Swap out the battery on your iPod/iPhone
4. Jailbreak an iPhone
The problem is that we all know that real Geeks don't own an iPhone. They tether their cheapo BT-capable phone to their tablet, and buy more geek gadgets with the hundreds of dollars they saved

(if you scored) 41-49: You wear Linux shirts, argue about the merits of AJAX on forums and build custom handheld retro gaming consoles for fun.
...uh-oh...

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-07 at 22:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Watched "Tinkerbell" with my daughter today. They made her into a total geek! It's great! A hot geek in a miniskirt. With wings.

Talk about "geek" being the new "cool"! All the little girls are going to grow up wanting to be mechanical engineers, just like Tinkerbell!

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
For a product to be successful, it's necessary (though not sufficient) to be able to define it in one sentence.

The iPhone is: "A touch-screen phone that's also an iPod".

The BlackBerry was "Push email".

The Wii is "Game console with a motion sensor".

The Motorola RAZR was "Insanely thin clamshell".

The Titanic was "Unsinkable luxury ocean liner".

The Walkman was "Music on-the-go".

The N800/N810 are "Internet on-the-go".

Nokia N95 is "Maximal convergence device".

Nokia 5800 is "Comes with music".

Unix is "Everything is a file".

The idea needs to be in place before the product is designed. Once you have the "single big idea", the rest of the product design more-or-less falls into place around it.

If you can't convey the idea of a product concisely, not only won't it be possible to market it successfully, but the product itself will probably bomb because it lacks a sense of purpose and will end up being designed by committee.

For the N900, "Full internet in your pocket, always connected" would do it for me.

Regards,
Roger

i say my tablet is faster than paper
it interests a lot of people.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
or maybe you should call it a notepad of infinite pages?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
nahhh, it is simply faster than paper.

i pull it out and make notes instantly, then have recall whenever i like.
its great to give to people and show them, and very intuitive.
everybody that sees it is interested.

as for internet tablets.
every device has internet now.
there is no differentiation.

i say death to the internet tablet moniker.
give me my digital playground.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
an ugly black internet tablet.

IProblem was that, unlike the ugly tablet, the new one looked sleek and inviting
The N800 is horrendous looking. The 770 is the finest machine I've ever owned!

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post: