Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
i'm happy to purchase a tablet, as i am hopeful for the cordia project as a whole. however, i have no experience as a developer, and all i could really provide is non-technical assistance. if that would still be of use, let me know.

Are You joking me? Normally I would think that its april fools day... It's just thew thing I was hoping for (and even pursuing a little) - maybe not exactly Open Pandora way, cause we don't produce customized hardware, but with such good specification, who cares much?

I presume, that its based on some "china" tablet? Are You sure Smoku, that "source" producing/selling it is reliable, or just won't stop producing it?

Also, cause I can't find it in FAQ - using HSPA modem with voice capability, can we use it as "phone" also (voice calls, sms, mms and such a things)? Hostmode OTG means - in this case - "full" hostmode, i.e every device can be connected, using kernel modules/drivers, or just mass storage media?

Anyway, GREAT idea, and keeping my thumbs for it *heading towards pre-order form*
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

So you have ditched developing cordia for the N900 now?

AFAIK, Cordia is effort aimed @ bringing Hildon UI to Meego core - so, developing Cordia is (almost?) same, no matter if for N900 or CordiaTAB. Meego core is same, right? With working hildon desktop on Meego (aka Cordia Job Done ), You can use it both on CordiaTAB and N900.

Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong, obviously.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I presume, that its based on some "china" tablet? Are You sure Smoku, that "source" producing/selling it is reliable, or just won't stop producing it?
That really depends on the quantity of order. :-)
For 1k+ orders the factory can launch a production of any device.

Also, cause I can't find it in FAQ - using HSPA modem with voice capability, can we use it as "phone" also (voice calls, sms, mms and such a things)? Hostmode OTG means - in this case - "full" hostmode, i.e every device can be connected, using kernel modules/drivers, or just mass storage media?
GSM - yes, the hardware is capable of voice calls.
OTG - haven't tested it yet, but it works as such on the development board, so the device should work the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So you have ditched developing cordia for the N900 now?
Cordia aims to put Hildon UI on top of MeeGo. So it has applicability to any MeeGo device or to the N9 running MeeGo Community Edition (replacing closed source Swipe UI).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Just to clarify things, for less oriented people - I think, that now it's 100% clear, that we shall *not* support N9 (or nokia, by any means), and instead direct efforts to Cordia/Meego - this can bring much more "profit" to community, than wishful thinking "If we will buy enough N9, Nokia will turn into angel and release 100% open source devices in future" (yea, i exaggerated this sentence on purpose ).

Smoku, you're interested in gathering 250 brave people (in particular, 250 devices - one people can buy more than 1, and you jsut want to order 250 devices, right?), to buy CordiaTab at reasonable price. Do only I think that reaching 1000 is entirely possible via this very forum, and then, it would be possible to order device customized *exactly* to our geeky needs, instead of making it based on current hardware?

AFAIK, thats exactly how Open Pandora gals and guys did, and it's way I was advocating here for quite long time

Really, this thread just made my day. I don't expect it to arrive soon, but as far as it *will* arrive, I'm happy penguin.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I'd be more then willing to jump the gun as well. Already made an inquiry on cordia tab.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Do only I think that reaching 1000 is entirely possible via this very forum, and then, it would be possible to order device customized *exactly* to our geeky needs, instead of making it based on current hardware?
We have an option on:
1. using existing hardware design and have the tablet "now", or
2. design our own hardware, and have the tablet in some unforeseeable future.

I've chosen 1st option.

OpenPandora is driven by hardware engineer. I'm software engineer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
So, if amongst people interested, hardware engineer will pop-up, we can go to option 2?

Seriously thought, I think that now it's better to go with existing hardware, then, *if* it will be finished successfully, and in "unforeseeable future" we'll need modernized device (to cope with further developed Open Source Meego core), we can design our own. If it's gonna be based on Cordia, it's more developed form, or any new alternative, is yet to be seen.

I think it's more important now, to focus on bringing Cordia to full usable status, than on not-so-easy hardware designing. By the way, specification provided by Smoku - alongside *very* reasonable price - is not bad! Personally, I would miss some things (hardware keyboard - may be fixable by DIY detachable or bluetooth keyboard... IR transmitter/receiver, LED torch ;P), but considering limitations, it's really great.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-27 at 21:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden