Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I vote for yPhone lll as jPhone ll. I like that style of yota, plus the other side of that phone is much better than any of the other sides I can think of. Also, jolla free up some money/time if they don't have to build a device too. Plus it thye get help from yota, maybe other HW-partners would help them out.

take this and make it sligtly bigger, 5,5 inch...Simple, right?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-05-28 at 16:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Surprisingly solid review of the Zenfone 2 @ Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9251/t...nfone-2-review
Bodes well for the J2, if it does in-fact use similar internals.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I vote for yPhone lll as jPhone ll. I like that style of yota, plus the other side of that phone is much better than any of the other sides I can think of. Also, jolla free up some money/time if they don't have to build a device too. Plus it thye get help from yota, maybe other HW-partners would help them out.

take this and make it sligtly bigger, 5,5 inch...Simple, right?
http://mobiltelefon.ru/photo/februar...e_sailfish.jpg
5.5 inch? That's the same size as the Galaxy Note II. Getting into pretty uncomfortable territory at that point for small-handed individuals such as myself. Can't afford to make a niche device when the market is already so small.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Surprisingly solid review of the Zenfone 2 @ Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9251/t...nfone-2-review
Bodes well for the J2, if it does in-fact use similar internals.
I've not been paying attention to Jolla-land recently but where did the Asus connection come from?

Personally, if it was built by Asus it'd be an instant 'no' from me. The Asus built Nexus 7's I've had were too cheaply made and suffered from nvram that 'got old' necessitating regular wipes to restore some speed. One of mine also just died and wouldn't reboot at all which was a bit annoying as it was on the train at the start of a 5 day trip. We've an Asus laptop in the office and it's utter tripe.

Yota would be interesting. I'd have killed for a low power e-ink display when I was cycle touring last month. I used a Sony Z1 compact and even with it's excellent 'stamina' mode it was eating a battery doing maps and gps in about 2 days. I'm not sure how I'd mount a phone with a display on both sides to my handlebars but I'm sure I'd be able to rig something up.

Preferably I'd rather stay with Sony's excellent hardware. Nobody else is doing good waterproof phones and the design and quality is above what other people are doing even without the waterproofing. And they're doing it in phones that don't have stupid 5.5" screens.

Couple to that, my Z1c cost me about half what my Jolla cost me and it blows it away in every aspect.

Sony have opened up their hardware too with recovery mode and AOSP for most of their Z range. I would love to see Sailfish ported to Sony Zs.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2015...devices-video/

On the other hand, the reason I'm not using my Jolla is because of too many software bugs, not the hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I've not been paying attention to Jolla-land recently but where did the Asus connection come from?
Only in that it's speculated that the J2 will use a similar SoC.
Looks like a pretty solid endorsement by AT (given the PP), they're not prone to hyperbole, nor easily corruptible.
I also like the idea that we may see more & more devices like this multi-booting Android/Win10/Other.
Will W&S what comes out in ARM land, though...

Sony have opened up their hardware too with recovery mode and AOSP for most of their Z range. I would love to see Sailfish ported to Sony Zs. http://developer.sonymobile.com/2015...devices-video/
Yeah, stuff they've been doing in that area (for quite some time now) is what really piques my interest about their devices.
Not so much the hw per-say, although it's still very good...

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-05-28 at 18:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
There is no second Jolla Phone.

Get over it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
There is no second Jolla Phone.

Get over it.
Not yet, but soon. The stupid tablet destroyd the party.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
There is no second Jolla Phone. Get over it.
What unsubstantiated rubbish; why speak in such absolute terms (& so tersely/rudely), when you have little-to-no concrete basis for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'd like to see a J2, I'd like to see them build-on & refine, what they started with TOH, but this time be much more serious about it.
I absolutely agree with this. I really, really like the TOH concept and hope they keep building on it.The smaller community projects and THOKD as a bigger one offer small proof that there is potential in it if executed well

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
On a sidenote: it would've been nice if they'd implemented TOH on the tablet as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2