Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Isn't that using some special-made type of stylus? It would work, but be a bit limiting (right now I use the Palm stylus if the Nokia one isn't in front of me, and sometimes a nail. I actually never uses fingers, as I hate fingerprints on the display.)
There was some humourous talk about this at the summit. Someone suggested that Nokia will release a big finger-shaped-and-sized stylus to use with the multi-touch screen, since they promised to remain stylus-compatible on the software side.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
As I pointed out, the mobile network providers already have taken steps to prevent that from happening.
I think that they may believe that they have, but they haven't. No, really. They haven't. In the current marketplace, they have, but when everyone has tiny linux laptops in their pockets, it will all look silly. Whatever they do, someone will work around it, then publish it for everyone to use. And everyone will use the new workaround. Soon they'll have to give up plugging all the holes in their stupid old-fashioned dike. Seriously.

Just wait. You'll see. Just a bunch of ISPs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
He didn't have any hardware to show, did he?
No, if my memory is sound, they showed a photograph of a Beagle Board during that presentation.

Of course, with the quantity of allergy medication I had dumped into my body that day, and the number of times I'd had to use my rescue inhaler, there's a not insignificant chance that during the presentation they actually showed off the next three Maemo devices and the captured alien technology upon which they're based, and I just didn't notice. The summit building was pain for me, and C-Base proper was death. I think I met, face-to-face, a great many nice people and learned a lot of neat things during the summit, but I may well have spent two days chatting with an armchair and a coat rack.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
There were definite hints (just short of all-out statements) in the Nokia presentations that the next screen will be multitouch and haptic. But, they were hints, and as such, I'm taking them as "we want this as much as you, but there may be technical difficulties so we're not promising anything..."
They said multitouch and haptic were part of the Maemo roadmap, but they were NOT slated for Maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
I didn't hear that "not slated for Maemo 5" part. Thanks.

And sjgadsby, you certainly did talk with me, but yes, you did spend a lot of time in deep conversation with the armchair. ;-)

(fun pics by the way)

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-22 at 22:45.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I didn't hear that "not slated for Maemo 5" part. Thanks.

And sjgadsby, you certainly did talk with me, but yes, you did spend a lot of time in deep conversation with the armchair.
I believe ( everything is blurry at this point ) it was in the Desktop by Rodrigo Novo (Nokia) and Matthew Allum (OpenedHand) session. I was distracted with othr items at the time but someone asked if they were confirming multitouch for Fremantle and he asked another Nokia person ( don't know who ) whom confirmed that multitouch was off the table for Maemo 5.

That is my understanding and I could be wrong, but it jibes with what I understood.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
This is what I did, isn't it?
I meant a seperate page for the Germany entry, but it was just a suggestion to consider. I didn't look into who contributed what and such.

The Zaurus was also a new platform (QT). The Zaurus had an adequate browser at the times. Opera and even Netfront worked fairly well. Flash was not a big thing at the time.
I still have a few zauruses (zaurii?). The main problem is that they do not support wpa (I know they can with a different wifi card) or bluetooth (and yes: I have an adapter).
The Zaurus did provide a new platform (Qtopia, later 3rd party ROMs with OPIE, GPE, ...) but the browser was IMO too slow, or not adequate enough. Flash and Java are 2 examples, but also the layout of webpages was often bad in my experience.

Sure, one can run something like pdaXrom, but geez, that is so slow...

It was still revolutionary, at least in my experience, because it was the first mobile Linux platform I ever used.

Compare this to my NIT expeirence. Out of box I was able to surf. Flash worked, layout good, page loaded faster than I was used to.

Does WPA2 still not work with later Linux kernel + CF WiFi cards? This is one advantage of the NIT. It comes with such hardware included. Although the GPS chip leaves much to be desired.

Still: I see the 770 as the only successor to the Zaurus. Sharp tried to bring a linux palmtop to the market, and quickly backed out (I had to import the second one from Japan). Nokia started where they left.
Agreed. When I hear a Nokia representative say they invented the tablet/Linux market, I have to giggle. They learned from their predecessors. Got mine from Japan too.

It's my job to read legal stuff and spot the errors and I like being sarcastic.
Ah, that explains

The masses are losing already. Telcos make their main profits from sms, ringtones and premium services.
Yes, but the economy is tightening, and people are also used to IM protocols. I imagine people with tight budgets or cheapskates (read: the Dutch ) are interested into this functionality.

At very least one could also combine the NIT with a cheap (open source) telephone for the phoning having a nice Linux system ready for 3G usage.

Oh, and you can use SIP over WiFi at home just like before.

The telcos are only interested in keeping this situation running. They don't care if 10 linux geeks find a way to run voip as long as the masses keep buying pre-configured branded phones.
Thing is, the 'N900' is aimed at the general public; not 10 Linux geeks. Its the combination of software, the hardware, and the target audience (and probably many more factors) which has potential. Not only 1 of these.

You seem to forget that it is a number game. The telcos don't care about anything as long as it is not conveniently packaged in a preconfigured phone. Then they get nasty.
Usability/integration game, too.

EDIT: T-Mobile 3G FUP (3 GB) PAYG for 2 GBP a day

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-09-22 at 23:01.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
...someone asked if they were confirming multitouch for Fremantle and he asked another Nokia person ( don't know who ) whom confirmed that multitouch was off the table for Maemo 5.
Something similar happened during the web presentation, though I didn't catch anything about the "no multitouch" answer being for 5 only. It's nice to know it still may appear further down the line.

And sjgadsby, you certainly did talk with me, but yes, you did spend a lot of time in deep conversation with the armchair.
Ah, well, you can understand how I might suspect you of being a very well-mannered coat rack.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I think I met, face-to-face, a great many nice people and learned a lot of neat things during the summit, but I may well have spent two days chatting with an armchair and a coat rack.
Does qole really look like Quentin Tarantino?

Tags
job, n900