Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The Cordia project goes a different route. It is hildon UI on top of MeeGo core OS. So Cordia lets MeeGo address the problems you mentioned.
How will that save this community ?.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sanotto View Post
I've recently (15 days ago) have bought an used N900, my first, knowing that it was a dying platform, I'm really happy with it it's all what I've been looking in a phone.
Wanted it when it first showed up, could'nt buy it until recently.
Could this

http://www.aavamobile.com/

Be the new "hardware" for maemo5??? I'v found it in Meego Site

Installing meego on ava

https://www.meego.com/devices/handse...ego-nokia-n900

Installing meego on n900

https://www.meego.com/devices/handse...ego-nokia-n900

So, if meego can run in n900 and ava, maybe (With some source packages) maemo could run in ava

So, the idea for pushing for sources and drives (If nokia will release them) and an ava "hardwade" could let us to build n900 "from scratch", how cool could ite be????

Some with more resources, wits orr drivel than me can peek up the challenge :-)
I think you need to read this and a few more threads.

MeeGo is neither something nor nothing for the N900 and if "aavamobile" can do any better, then they are doing more than the whole of this community has done to date !.

Why don't we create our own mobile open mobile OS on devices for devices that are generally pretty hackable like the HTC HD2, Archos Gen 7 and Gen 8, Nokia N900, Tegra 2 Devices, Samsung Galaxy Tab ETC. We could make a replacement for Angstrom and make an os to run whatever hardware you want, rather than waiting for new hardware to come out. We should call it Noblix.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Why don't we create our own mobile open mobile OS on devices for devices that are generally pretty hackable like the HTC HD2, Archos Gen 7 and Gen 8, Nokia N900, Tegra 2 Devices, Samsung Galaxy Tab ETC. We could make a replacement for Angstrom and make an os to run whatever hardware you want, rather than waiting for new hardware to come out. We should call it Noblix.
We still have existing hardware to address, but the pre-requisite for the long life of this community is hardware independence.

The community was so far hardware/vendor dependant, which led to the limited life from the early beginning.

The vendor dependant way, was so far to abandon the older hardware and accept/buy a new one.

Just try to compare price tag trend of 770, N800, N810, N900, and N9.

It rises monotonously upwards.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-25 at 20:20.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Also Noblix would stand for "Non Nokia Mobile Linux". Also the name for the repo could be appchanel. Just some ideas. I really can't code, but I would be more than willing to be a beta tester/Guinea pig.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
It's already done, it's called meego.

And in related news http://apps.formeego.org is showing some progress. Hopefully they got the funding sorted out by now and can focus on getting the repos up.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
It's already done, it's called meego.

And in related news http://apps.formeego.org is showing some progress. Hopefully they got the funding sorted out by now and can focus on getting the repos up.
No that isn't it, it still bound by the will of Nokia and Intel.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No that isn't it, it still bound by the will of Nokia and Intel.
Just Intel. Nokia is the only handset MeeGo so far, but OEM's, Intel and other folks have other MeeGo based tablets and devices.

Nokia != MeeGo. Nokia is only over Harmattan.

However earlier, there was a statement that MeeGo could go onto Tegra 2 devices. Not fully sure where that was picked up, but unless Nvidia is giving out previously not given out drivers, not wholly true.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Just Intel. Nokia is the only handset MeeGo so far, but OEM's, Intel and other folks have other MeeGo based tablets and devices.

Nokia != MeeGo. Nokia is only over Harmattan.

However earlier, there was a statement that MeeGo could go onto Tegra 2 devices. Not fully sure where that was picked up, but unless Nvidia is giving out previously not given out drivers, not wholly true.
I can back this up with URLs but too lazy, but Tegra2 drivers are usually published as part of Linux4Tegra distribution but is 'softfp'

The trimslice (google it) community got special builds of those drivers for MeeGo's 'hardfp' ABI

The Following User Says Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
OK. So we have a bit more silence on this thread and I would like to know where did us bring all this talking? What are the decisions? Which road is maemo going to go?

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)