Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I believe the surprise will be a SailfishOS license. Perhaps a way to install it on many different tablets via flashing. SailfishOS as a Cyanogenmod model seems inevitable.

And if that's the case, that's where they will lose me.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I believe the surprise will be a SailfishOS license. Perhaps a way to install it on many different tablets via flashing. SailfishOS as a Cyanogenmod model seems inevitable.
Er, I'm having a little trouble parsing this. The whole point of Jolla is licensing the Sailfish OS. It already gets installed on many different tablets (and phones) via flashing; that's pretty much what the HADK is all about. And yeah, Sailfish is pretty much paralleling Cyanogenmod in every way possible: Cyanogenmod simply replaces the Android OS on Android-based hardware, and of course since Sailfish depends on libhybris, it also simply replaces the Android OS on Android-based hardware.

I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting different out of Jolla here...

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Er, I'm having a little trouble parsing this. The whole point of Jolla is licensing the Sailfish OS. It already gets installed on many different tablets (and phones) via flashing; that's pretty much what the HADK is all about. And yeah, Sailfish is pretty much paralleling Cyanogenmod in every way possible: Cyanogenmod simply replaces the Android OS on Android-based hardware, and of course since Sailfish depends on libhybris, it also simply replaces the Android OS on Android-based hardware.

I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting different out of Jolla here...
Right. I'm saying backers will get a license whereas most others have to pay to license their OS. Intex had to pay for the license. So my suggestion is that we, the backers, will not have to pay for it on our devices.

Speculation at best. Nothing new at the worst. A likely scenario that will not enthuse me at all. Especially if Android support is not part of the deal.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The official Sailfish OS license (the one that Intex has) should supposedly have the Android runtime.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The official Sailfish OS license (the one that Intex has) should supposedly have the Android runtime.
That's great. Last I checked, my name isn't Intex. And if we were to get a license, would it be like what's on the community port for (for example) the Nexus 5 or something way more complete?

If more complete, what could that entail? It's all speculation as to the "surprise" could be.

okay, my other thought is that they will laser etch the backers names into the Moon...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Licences is no compensation. Not anymore.

Jolla cant excpect me do hack a snack with their OS after royaly faked a tablet campaign, stole the money and as of yet not told the truth. Add to that after all this time we haven't got anything in return (not even the webshopers)just updates/blogpost that tablet coming soon

The OS is worth nothing to me anymore so it I think it's better they do a $200 dollar to charity from me, just don't want Jolla to have my money during current situation.

They took the fun out of sailfish. can they restore it? Doubtful but we will see...

I don't think we will end up empty handed

The scams will continue...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-01-04 at 07:43.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
I agree with gerbick like I wrote earlier.
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Lets guess!
Mine is:
-Refund for those who want it^^
-Sailfishos license for community ported phones
This license includes aliendalvik+other only-Jolla-stuff and normal os updates.
The way I see this fits well to Jollas businesses plans what Copernicus described.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If more complete, what could that entail? It's all speculation as to the "surprise" could be.
There hasn't been anywhere near enough speculation in this thread about this surprise for me. If it'll be possible to choose from a range of android devices and flash the same sailfish as on the phone with dalvik, with support, then I'll be wildly excited. We'll finally be able to see what it can do on high-spec devices.

Maybe the backers will get some other tablet, pre-flashed?

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I still don't see how licensing OS that does not carry any additional service that can make some money, not even a store with paid apps, can be a solution and a way to go for Jolla. And on top of that, I don't see a line of people in tents that are waiting so eagerly to buy something with sailfish on it.
And let's be realistic, sailfish still lacks a lot of things that are common on other platforms. And average Joe is not gonna buy one and try for himself, instead it will trust some review site that will bash it because of all the shortcomings.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It has occurred to me that, "But more on that will follow, feel free to speculate!" simply means, "We do not know what to do, feel free to give us ideas!"

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund