since a video of nokia meego UI came out yesterday. definitely a nokia meego phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDp1MGlfGQ8

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
since a video of nokia meego UI came out yesterday. definitely a nokia meego phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDp1MGlfGQ8
That's fine if you like shiny stuff.

However, I want to know:

1) Will Meego for the n900 run existing maemo software (there are rumours of a compatibility layer)?
2) Will the n900 be powerful enough to run the meego ui properly?
3) In practice is the UI an efficient design (e.g. does it scale to n900 physical screen size) because maemo's UI is pretty minimal (a "good thing")?

But yes it does look quite nice.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
As long as everyone stick to Intel HW and want to install the "default" MeeGo, no problem. If Intel manages to force others to open their source, this is very good, but I'm not convinced that this would be the result, it can go either way. Lets say ASUS, HP, Acer, MSI, Dell, Samsung and all the large ones decide to deliver netbooks with MeeGo preinstalled. Then the "openness" of any of the drivers is a no.issue. Surely an all Intel config will work as is, but other configs may be cheaper (and better).
I don't see the problem, it's not like they don't have a choice - open up, and have full support on a distro level just like Intel does, or go blob/OEM, when they have to do their own support (and be ranted/cursed to hell when lack of open/well maintained drivers cuts off your users from upgrades). I mean, the way you put it, it turns out Debian is not a distro but an OEM OS...

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Gravity and Adobe LE for $10.45 each??

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-08-03 at 12:36.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
I think the Nokia Meego phone looks good. I dont think I will wait past November for it though. I already went through both the N97 and N900 preorder/release date fiascos, and I plan to have the end 2010 be less stressful.( by that I mean not spending countless hours on the phone with customer service reps ordering, cancelling, ordering again, and then ultimately just buying in in store sooner than a preorder gets out).

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
The Meego UI for mobiles looks OK, its rather plain as its presented in the video (not necessarily a bad thing). What is striking people about it?

The Meego UI for tablets was much better. Indeed even for Maemo 5 itself at the time.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Gravity and Adobe LE for $10.45 each??
Yes, they're naturally already available for Meego from Ovi Store.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I don't see the problem, it's not like they don't have a choice - open up, and have full support on a distro level just like Intel does, or go blob/OEM, when they have to do their own support (and be ranted/cursed to hell when lack of open/well maintained drivers cuts off your users from upgrades). I mean, the way you put it, it turns out Debian is not a distro but an OEM OS...
Time will tell. MeeGo has to be distributed and catch on first, and compete with Microsoft and Chrome OS. I'm not sure how Chromium OS is/will be regarding drivers, but if that OS works out of the box for 90% of the netbooks (compared with 20-30% for MeeGo), the time for Meego on Netbooks surely will be short.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Nokia pulled the video? What was in there?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Nokia pulled the video? What was in there?
LIES! ALL LIES!

Kidding.

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!