realistically?

hardware wise:
1. a screen that is actually usable in the daytime (N810 is close but not really)
2. a better cam (my old Nokia 6230b cell has a better cam)
3. better cpu, chipsets, blah blah blah

OS wise: (yes I know the new OS addresses most of these issues)
1. real OS updates that don't require flashing
2. Fix the stupid problems with the repositories
3. able to change the friggin icons/function on the lefthand side
4. actual icons on the desktop, as in, no more need for simple launcher, Idea (which i miss on 2008!!), etc

my fanciful wishlist:
1. a little FM antenna that plugs in instead of having to drag out the earplugs.
2. a picture frame style kickstand so that it won't block the bottom edge yet allow easier access to ports and maybe allow for some sort of dock to satisfy everyone's needs.
3. space out the top buttons a bit to give you a better tactile feel.
4. a universal way to print in all applicable apps to any networked/shared printer. Why this hasn't been implemented in the very first incarnation of an ITT is beyond me.

what I DO NOT WANT:
1. tv connector? seriously? why the heck would you want that? What a waste of space and resources. Although adding to a 3rd party dock could solve this need.
2. a stupid keyboard. Owned the N810 for a month, found it underwhelming. Having to open the keyboard to use the Dpad was just a stupid design.
3. reduction on the number of SD slots or SD size.
4. no space eating wheels, circular pads, double pads, etc the more you add the crappier and crappier it will become and more crap to break.
5. The same team to design the N900 that designed the Nokia 770 or the N800. As functional as the Nokia 770 was (and how much better it could have been), the ITT unit itself was so damn ugly. The N800 wasn't so much ugly as it was just bland and uninspired. Please Nokia, get some real industrial designers and not the team that designs those horrid cheap cells you guys make. More japanese/scandanavian ergonomics and sleek design and less tacky euro feel.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gigabites View Post
1. tv connector? seriously? why the heck would you want that? What a waste of space and resources. Although adding to a 3rd party dock could solve this need.
Why not? It's not actually a waste of space and resources, as the OMAPs already have TV-out hookups (they just need to be, well, hooked up) and you could add another wire to the 3.5mm jack to get composite out.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
1024x600 and RAM and double processor speed.

Maybe I should be more clear, AT LEAST 512MB RAM
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-28 at 04:07.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
I only have a few things that I'd like to see in an iteration as close to release as a n900 series tablet, and I'll admit at the onset here that some of them can (and should) be addressed by OS/UI changes.

I'd like
-A screen size increase without, that is WITHOUT, a device size increase. If I look at the numbers for the n810, we could have a 5.78inch (146.9mm) screen if the whole front face was covered by the screen. Also, the surface of the screen to flush (heightwise) with the edges of the tablet, because maybe it's just my fingers, but I feel like sometimes using scroll bars and anything else at the edge of the screen gets to be a pain in the *** just because the edge of the tablet is keeping me from actually making good contact with screen.

-Haptic feedback from the screen to improve "button" press feedback.

-If the haptics feedback makes in it, some vibration alarms would be nice.

-802.11n support (with MIMO)

-Dual SD (full size please) card slots, with both or either supporting SDIO

-Maintaining the with and without QWERTY keyboard model lines (i.e. a 900 and a 910). And for the 910, more space between the top row of buttons and the bottom edge of the front face of the tablet

Ok, I think I've been pretty reasonable so far. The following is a little more pie in the skyish, but not completely unattainable.

Have the keyboard on the 910, rather than composed of individual buttons, be composed of an eINK (eink.com) touchscreen (with haptics) and therefore be reconfigurable, by user choice, or automatically depending on the app in the foreground.

OLED main screen (for more extensive color support, better battery life, thinness)

The noBounds project implemented.

Ok, I'll stop .....for now...and I apologize if I'm repeating things that people have already requested, I didn't go through all of the 35 preceding pages closely.

Last edited by iamNarada; 2008-04-09 at 02:37. Reason: because sometimes..just sometimes, I can't type worth a damn

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
I only have a few things that I'd like to see in an iteration as close to release as a n900 series tablet, and I'll admit at the onset here that some of them can (and should) be addressed by OS/UI changes.

I'd like
-A screen size increase without, that is WITHOUT, a device size increase. If I look at the numbers for the n810, we could have a 5.78inch (146.9mm) screen if the whole front face was covered by the screen. Also, the surface of the screen to flush (heightwise) with the edges of the tablet, because maybe it's just my fingers, but I feel like sometimes using scroll bars and anything else at the edge of the screen gets to be a pain in the *** just becuase the edge of the tablet is keeping me from actually making good contact with screen.
Bezelless is asking for broken screens, so I differ (strongly) with you there. And I like my d-pad (on the N800), and would like ABCD buttons on the other side; so increasing the physical screen larger would be troublesome for me.

Have the keyboard on the 910, rather than composed of individual buttons, be composed of an eINK (eink.com) touchscreen (with haptics) and therefore be reconfigurable, by user choice, or automatically depending on the app in the foreground.
Seems to me that this largely ruins the principle benefit of the N810's keyboard over OSK, unless the haptics here are inexplicably better than in the OSK.

Still, I guess some two-panel eink and LCD/OLED solution (I'm thinking flippable clamshell) does offer more display space total, more interaction space total, and the best of both worlds. Think e-book reader that shuts off the display and shows the book on the "keypad" side of the device. It's just gonna be awful expensive, and hard to get right.

So I was reading through some more of the older posts in this thread, and I see that most of the stuff I mentioned was talked about in one form or another (sorry). So, ..this is more of a question to all of you out there who are more in the know than me about this stuff. I was a couple of posts going back and forth about whether or not to include a SIM slot and and a HSDPA/3.5G chipset. The question I have: how is including WiMax better than including a 3.5G chipset? And when I say better I mean from the standpoint of not being tied to a single provider and all of the regulatory (FCC) hoops that have to be jumped through to include it. If I understand how it currently stands (please correct me if I'm wrong about this) Sprint is the only carrier/provider interested in developing WiMax, with both AT&T and Verizon going LTE (though at different frequencies) to fulfill their 4G network ambitions. With regards to battery life...WiFi/WiMax uses less than 3.5G? (Honestly asking!) So if I were to turn the GSM radio in my N96 (hypothetically speaking of course, since neither I nor anyone else has one) off and proceed to browse/VOIP/whatever just over WiFi, I'd get longer battery life than if I did the converse (WiFi off, GSM on)? And to forestall flamethrowage, I'm not advocating either or, just seeking enlightenment!

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Bezelless is asking for broken screens, so I differ (strongly) with you there.
Hmmm... Am I misunderstanding what you mean by bezelless? There seem to any number of devices with their touch screens flush with the edge of the device. Iphone? Ipod Touch? The Nokia Tube? I'll freely admit to not owning any of them, but I haven't heard reports of rampant screen breakage either.

And yes, as you mentioned, the primary advantage of an eInk based keyboard relative to the onscreen keyboard, would lie in increased display/interaction space and it's capacity to be reconfigured on the fly depending on application. I guess the only advantage it would hold over actually hardware keys would be the reconfigurability and the possibility of using it as a display (ebook) in addition to using it as a input. I mean conceivably you could get the same by including a second display, either LCD or OLED or what ever, but I figured eInk was cheaper, better energy efficiency since it's bistable (read: battery life).

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Hmmm... Am I misunderstanding what you mean by bezelless? There seem to any number of devices with their touch screens flush with the edge of the device. Iphone? Ipod Touch? The Nokia Tube? I'll freely admit to not owning any of them, but I haven't heard reports of rampant screen breakage either.
The HP49G+. Grrrrrr.... Proud owner of one. Now with a broken display.

While rampant is too strong a word, I think there's more of those devices broken than there ought to be; scratches too, from sliding on flat surfaces, though those are typically prevented by as much as a ridge along one side of the screen. I think they've eased the bezel angle a good bit on the N810, haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it looks good. I'll admit the N800's is a bit steep, but the solution (I feel) lies with shallower angles, not reduced (or removed) depth. Oh, and half (2 out of 4) the iPhones whose owners I know wear protective silicone or hard cases, which give you an artificial bezel anyway.
And yes, as you mentioned, the primary advantage of an eInk based keyboard relative to the onscreen keyboard, would lie in increased display/interaction space and it's capacity to be reconfigured on the fly depending on application. I guess the only advantage it would hold over actually hardware keys would be the reconfigurability and the possibility of using it as a display (ebook) in addition to using it as a input. I mean conceivably you could get the same by including a second display, either LCD or OLED or what ever, but I figured eInk was cheaper, better energy efficiency since it's bistable (read: battery life).

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Maybe not n900, but n910 definitely:
holographic projection & capture
teleportation network between the devices
mind reading for easier controls

for the n900, I'd settle only for:
future prediction
antigravitational pad to make it weightless

considering when the n910 will be out (looking at the time elapsed beteen device), this might actually happen
note: i'm not complaining; every device (except n810) had great improvements

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
well, if we're going to get carried away... I think the stylus should be telescopic and have a second use as a light-sabre, and the pop-out webcam should have the memory-wipe feature from M-I-B.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist