Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Network attached/shared?
How about when on the move? Also, not every router people have support USB drives!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There's a new thread for discussing this relevant issue:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...499#post330499

Better use it so that other people can look at the title and join the discussion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
How about when on the move? Also, not every router people have support USB drives!
Well, you can have PANs, albeit it'll tax some overhead in speed and power drain.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Blame the European commission, friends of the earth, green peace etc, for pushing for a standard in charging, all the big players signed up for it, in the future there will be just one standard charger for all devices no matter the manufacturer, now we have been set back lets vote no to the EU
I hope nokia find a solution in the future to make it happen in any upcoming devices.
On the bright side in 2010 we wont need 10 different chargers for all the different gadgets we intend to buy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This has been discussed endlessly on #maemo, and much smarter people than myself preferred ext3 (including Nokia, it appears). Observation of flash memory survival rates (nearly 100% in what I've observed) seems to bear this out.

I'll stick to ext3, thanks.
It would be interesting to keep an eye on btrfs, that supposedly has an option "optimised" for flash devices - what ever the hell that means (in terms of real world performance) I don't really know.

Not exactly up to date or reliable info but
http://markmail.org/message/nnjqocag3hildwyz
interesting nevertheless

and from wiki http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.p...zed_for_SSD.3F

Last edited by deadmalc; 2009-09-21 at 07:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Well, I don't think people ever wanted "charging over USB" functionality at the expense of OTG though.
I would disagree, I desperately need charging over USB.
Especially if I'm using the N900 as much as I think I will, with USB charging it means I can charge my device almost anywhere.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Blame the European commission, friends of the earth, green peace etc, for pushing for a standard in charging, all the big players signed up for it, in the future there will be just one standard charger for all devices no matter the manufacturer, now we have been set back lets vote no to the EU
Yeah, but nobody forced the manufacturers to say "Hey, let's use USB for that!".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by range View Post
Yeah, but nobody forced the manufacturers to say "Hey, let's use USB for that!".
Which, in my humble opinion, is the lamest thing they could ever decide. But we get what we deserve...

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
It would be interesting to keep an eye on btrfs, that supposedly has an option "optimised" for flash devices - what ever the hell that means (in terms of real world performance) I don't really know.
I don't think that has to do much with wear. On eMMC devices, there are so many layers between you and the actual device it's quite pointless to 'try' to do wear leveling yourself. That said, filesystems COULD be more flash friendly by taking into account flash block sizes, no head seek time, etc.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Possibly a very foolish question BUT who's 3g network will the euro version of the n900 run on if you were to bring it to the US?