Active Topics

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Keep blaming Elop long enough and maybe even the Finnish people that created this mess might believe it.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
While I was in the market for a Nokia Pureview 808 to compliment the N900 I find it sad to discover Nokia succeeded in making the purchase of the probably last Symbian flagship an act of low ethics and moral values.
I'm in the same position. I want to purchase an 808 (or perhaps a 701 because I don't care much about the camera), but I can't stomach the idea of giving Nokia my money. There is also the fact that Nokia doesn't even want to sell me these devices, as they aren't available in the UK. Who in their right mind would give their money to a company that doesn't even want their business?

My website

GitHub

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Didn't you see how the N9's swipe-down gesture lives on in Window 8?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
totally agree with you marxian...i've the same feelings...i was thinking about helping some people procure 808's from malaysia & singapore as the prices are among the lowest here but after last week's announcement i can't bring myself to spread nokia anymore...no matter how much i love the 808 its getting very hard to make a choice to buy or not...pathetic from the BOD & Elop...

Originally Posted by LavaCroft View Post
Keep blaming Elop long enough and maybe even the Finnish people that created this mess might believe it.
If there was no Elop, N9/N950/808PV/N10 would have been backed with full force and would actually get Nokia back at the pole position. Going with their OVI Services + Qt + MeeGo + Symbian + S40 ecosystem, Nokia was on to a winner. Took time to execute, but was a perfect model. If you think it's not Elop's fault, you might be right.

IT'S BALLMER'S!!!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
What do you mean by this?
That I wanted to purchase the 808 but at this point I'd feel less dirty stealing the 808 from Nokia than by throwing them more money.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2012-06-17 at 18:18.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
If there was no Elop, N9/N950/808PV/N10 would have been backed with full force...
Just like the N900, N810, N800 and 770 were backed in full force too, right?

Nokia didn't know what to do or how to effectively market any of those items. It would not have started with the N9. And for the most part, they didn't stand behind the prior items or the N9, their most marketable Maemo device before Elop.

and would actually get Nokia back at the pole position.
It would take a lot more than just one phone. They're lacking willing third party support on Maemo Harmattan. They'd need that among other missing items to garner more than just enthusiast support.

Going with their OVI Services + Qt + MeeGo + Symbian + S40 ecosystem, Nokia was on to a winner.
That combination existed for quite a while, wasn't as lackluster as folks would claim it to be, but it wasn't exactly setting the world ablaze either.

Took time to execute, but was a perfect model. If you think it's not Elop's fault, you might be right.
And before him... OPK. The start/stop process surrounding Maemo over the stifled the forward momentum of the aforementioned perfect model.

Hate to tear apart what you said - I actually agree with all that you're saying - I just have to inject some realism into what is happening into these conversations.

We should all go to Elop's house and protest.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by addi85 View Post
We should all go to Elop's house and protest.
I'd say a protest in Espoo would be more effective.

Read: I ain't going to Canada. No way.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Read: I ain't going to Canada. No way.
Speaking of which, let's have a short comedy break: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

With all their beady little eyes
And flapping heads so full of lies
Blame Canada!

Whaaat, fits the description

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories