Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Why is onlive so great?

In part, it will bring high-end pc/console graphics to your Android smartphone or tablet. But it goes a step farther.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news...ng-on-android/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX0bs10-Vs

At E3, onlive mentioned that it would be working with development studios to produce onlive specific content. This is significant in that Onlive's hardware is reputably VERY powerful and game graphics can be pushed to the limit -- all for a very low monthly fee -- much less than purchasing a gaming rig (though more than a console in the long run).

This means that you can literally have games that look better on your Android tablet than your store-bought console or gaming rig, without the up-front investment. Beautiful.

It's gaming as a service.

The huge bottleneck in this Utopian future is bandwidth caps and available content. Individuals with good connections and ample bandwidth should have a great time with this service, but those without will likely suffer a poor one. Additionally, here's hoping that Onlive can wrangle up more titles in its library (currently there are 100 games).

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-06-08 at 16:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Galaxy Tab was reviewed by Engadget (Darren Murph) and lost a point due to less-than-exceptional interoperability with OSX

Still, 8/10 is a high review, though I question the credibility of the review. It's not even written particularly well.
Doesn't the iPad(2) require iTunes? It doesn't just show up a a hard drive if you plug it in does it? In other words, additional software is required to transfer files (just like the complaint about honeycomb requiring additional software).

Anyway, the review did bring up a point I missed earlier, and a quick google seems to confirm it.

The Tab 10.1 only has a docking connector, it does NOT have a microsd card slot, or usb, hdmi unless you're using a dongle (to be released later)?

One of the things I really liked about android devices was that many (or at least the ones I'd consider) had the option of expandable storage via microsd. I'd prefer full sized sd, but that's another story. That's a big strike against the Tab 10.1 (for me) when other tablet have that option with similar hardware. I presume (without googling) that the 8.9 will suffer the same lack. Compound that with all the ports being on a dongle (that will need to be purchased separately) and I don't see myself getting a Galaxy Tab (for at least this generation).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Doesn't the iPad(2) require iTunes? It doesn't just show up a a hard drive if you plug it in does it? In other words, additional software is required to transfer files (just like the complaint about honeycomb requiring additional software).

Anyway, the review did bring up a point I missed earlier, and a quick google seems to confirm it.

The Tab 10.1 only has a docking connector, it does NOT have a microsd card slot, or usb, hdmi unless you're using a dongle (to be released later)?

One of the things I really liked about android devices was that many (or at least the ones I'd consider) had the option of expandable storage via microsd. I'd prefer full sized sd, but that's another story. That's a big strike against the Tab 10.1 (for me) when other tablet have that option with similar hardware. I presume (without googling) that the 8.9 will suffer the same lack. Compound that with all the ports being on a dongle (that will need to be purchased separately) and I don't see myself getting a Galaxy Tab (for at least this generation).
Yeah, the lack of a MicroSD caught me off guard as well. For some reason I just assumed that it would have one! Silly Cap.... God bless 'im!

For me, it's less of a concern so long as I get the 16/32G version of the device. I never take the SD card from my N810 anyway, and it's only an 8 Gig'r . All transfers are done wirelessly via SFTP and I can see this being the case with the Tab as well especially since there is software to handle such tasks. Additionally, I'm comfortable streaming content from the 'cloud' or my network if need-be.

But I can see that being a deal killer for some, and it's a shame as it would have been a useful inclusion.

It would have been perfect if there was a PDMI port for docking, NFC for wireless interaction (imagine using this with your smartphone? Cool sauce), and a microSD port.

For those looking towards a more complete experience, the cheaper (albeit thicker/heavier) Asus Eee Pad Transformer is looking like a good alternative -- it has MicroSD and a lower price.

It seems that the gorgeous Galaxy S2 is coming to Verizon very, very soon:

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/carr...rizon-in-july/

Now the question remains -- does this beast have LTE?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Honeycomb... Galaxy Tab 7...
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8imapaNm8s

This is an alpha, but it's looking very impressive so far.

Some things work, some don't. However it's promising.

Now that you can get a Tab for ~$260, this is a very exciting development for such a wonderful piece of hardware.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Well, I won't say no sd card is a dealbreaker by itself, but it's the general lack of ports that disappoint me. I can understand skimping on some ports on smaller tablets/phones, but on the larger tablets it seems odd to me. It seems there should be plenty of space on the larger tablets to add a couple ports.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Asus MeMo soon (hopefully). Right now that would be my first choice, however the Transformer is a close second. I've got cash set aside, just waiting for the right tablet to sttoll along. Beside my daughter is bugging me for my S7.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Well, I won't say no sd card is a dealbreaker by itself, but it's the general lack of ports that disappoint me. I can understand skimping on some ports on smaller tablets/phones, but on the larger tablets it seems odd to me. It seems there should be plenty of space on the larger tablets to add a couple ports.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Asus MeMo soon (hopefully). Right now that would be my first choice, however the Transformer is a close second. I've got cash set aside, just waiting for the right tablet to sttoll along. Beside my daughter is bugging me for my S7.
I agree. I would have loved a mini USB, even though I generally favour wireless options.

I'm hoping that Honeycomb works well on the Tab and that progress is forthcoming. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a $300 running a stable version of the latest Android OS. That's a killer value.

Of course a MeMo at $400 would be a mighty tempting alternative. It has current-gen internals...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
A Picture of comparision between iPhone 5 and other Oses. Surely you could see that, it's a LIE. Since the Gtalk had the phone to phone messaging from the day 1. So no doubt that this comparision is made by an apple fanatic.
EDIT:Keep up the good work apple! Liying with your fans I mean.
EDIT:Source:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386579,00.asp
Attached Images

Last edited by govprog; 2011-06-09 at 08:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govprog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
News:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Wina...ers/1307566653
Also there is the android user's reply to the previous mention:http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...068_405097.htm
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Honeycomb... Galaxy Tab 7...
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8imapaNm8s

This is an alpha, but it's looking very impressive so far.

Some things work, some don't. However it's promising.

Now that you can get a Tab for ~$260, this is a very exciting development for such a wonderful piece of hardware.
Are you sure it's honeycomb? Maybe it's the upcoming android's "icecream"? If that's the name.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-06-09 at 09:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to govprog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
A Picture of comparision between iPhone 5 and other Oses. Surely you could see that, it's a LIE. Since the Gtalk had the phone to phone messaging from the day 1. So no doubt that this comparision is made by an apple fanatic.
EDIT:Keep up the good work apple! Liying with your fans I mean.
EDIT:Source:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386579,00.asp
That's chart is so incredibly inaccurate that I mostly laughed at it and tried my best to finish reading it before blowing it off. Ultimately, it wasn't worth even mentioning. If the person that made that chart ever actually used Android, it doesn't show. I should write back and ream this guy's article with corrections and counter-debate. heheh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy