Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/TEGRA2

Though I do wonder what these new tools for nvflash are.

Regardless, like all the existing MeeGo-on-ARM efforts they will probably get stuck in the whole "vendor doesn't make Xorg 1.9 compatible drivers" hole. At most they get a build for one specific version of Ubuntu and nothing else
I was wondering that as well. Information seems somewhat scarce, but hey, it's encouraging.

Perhaps it is time for a wrapper of sorts to use different versions of drivers in Xorg? Just thinking out loud. This may cost a bit of speed, but at least it would aid in compatibility where native drivers don't exist -- think: a one-to-one mapping of graphics calls, with a bit of filler code where legacy bits are missing.

I would have hoped that a single API for graphics calls would apply to a Xorg major version (I'm guessing this is not the case?). This seems to be a flaw in engineering of the platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
How about the Archos 101 running Debian?
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9dL65Aqc8

Very nice!

Now, what say we drop all the tribalisms and have Linux in Android, and Android in linux!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/TEGRA2

Though I do wonder what these new tools for nvflash are.

Regardless, like all the existing MeeGo-on-ARM efforts they will probably get stuck in the whole "vendor doesn't make Xorg 1.9 compatible drivers" hole. At most they get a build for one specific version of Ubuntu and nothing else
Well, in this case, the one BIG advantage is that ASUS has created for themselves at least a small a legacy of releasing 100% open-source compatible netbooks in the past and promoting that as a benefit--so they probably "get it" more than Nokia (who has promoted it, but has yet to release ANYTHING 100% open-source... they didn't even have the patience to wait for 100% MeeGo).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Finally my s2 is successfully rooted cant believe how easy it was.no commands no emmc problems under xp.damn i love android..

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
Finally my s2 is successfully rooted cant believe how easy it was.no commands no emmc problems under xp.damn i love android..
So then, which method worked for you? Tell!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
FYI I was able to root the Tab with Super One Click. The latest original firmware (still Froyo unfortunately) does not root with Z4root.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Linux die-hards may have their wish soon. It seems that there is a project to flash Linux on Tegra 2 devices:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-be-hope-soon/

You may be able to have full Linux running on your Transformer, Xoom, or Galaxy Tab 8.9/10.1 soon enough!

MeeGo next?
I may just have to go see if I can find a Transformer in-store. I'd like to get a real feel for the size. Although I'd much rather have a 7" tablet, the price difference to the 10" tablets may make that decision difficult.

The Transformer with the dock offers quite a package and at an excellent price. I'd really like to see the MeMo, but depending on where you read, it could be soon, it could be Q4, it may be reasonably priced (~$500) or could be on the more expensive end. I'd be ticked to wait to Thanksgiving, only to find out the MeMo is going for $800.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I may just have to go see if I can find a Transformer in-store. I'd like to get a real feel for the size. Although I'd much rather have a 7" tablet, the price difference to the 10" tablets may make that decision difficult.

The Transformer with the dock offers quite a package and at an excellent price. I'd really like to see the MeMo, but depending on where you read, it could be soon, it could be Q4, it may be reasonably priced (~$500) or could be on the more expensive end. I'd be ticked to wait to Thanksgiving, only to find out the MeMo is going for $800.
I am extremely curious as to how it performs. I'm not expecting Atom class performance, but even something close would be compelling.

Ultimately I'll wait until next generation ARM before trying to run a TL (Traditional Linux) distribution (eg. Ubuntu) on a tablet/netbook. At this point, the performance should be high enough for a great experience and most importantly the ability to comfortably run the processes that I require. At that point, I will replace my laptop for a thin/light tablet with amazing battery life, and use an external keyboard/mouse/monitor to work from whilst I am the desk.

Funnily enough, I'm not too crazy about MeeGo. It is yet another distro, but one that is very young. I suspect that I will become more interested as it matures. It does promise optimization for a mobile device, which is nice, and something that Ubuntu simply will not have.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, in this case, the one BIG advantage is that ASUS has created for themselves at least a small a legacy of releasing 100% open-source compatible netbooks in the past and promoting that as a benefit--so they probably "get it" more than Nokia (who has promoted it, but has yet to release ANYTHING 100% open-source... they didn't even have the patience to wait for 100% MeeGo).
Is the Geforce ULP drivers source available for compilation? If not, even Asus would have the obstacle of releasing Tegra 2 drivers that would be the IP of NVidia.

Having an unlocked bootloader is very important, though supplying software access to the hardware is another matter altogether.

This is where something like LLVM would come in tremendously handy. Instead of only compiling drivers for a target platform, target LLVM bitcode, and then give developers the option of translating the bitcode to native code on their platform. Since bitcode is ISA-independent, the underlying hardware would be of secondary concern. Also the driver IP is still protected! The driver manufacturer could still optimize the drivers for specific platforms to keep their OEMs happy.

In this scheme the LLVM bitcode would likely result in performance loss (no assembler), but at least you would provide support for a of unforeseen platforms, and legacy support into the future. Who knows, runtime profiling using an interpreter on the bitcode may suggest optimization on the native compile for enhanced performance.

Anandtech has released a review of the Galaxy Tab 10.1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4445/s...tab-101-review

It's a decent enough review that gives high marks, but I would really love a review not so saturated with iPad comparisons...

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy