Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Even Meego supporting GTK it would be harder (read expensive) for Sygic to support both Maemo 5 and Meego source codes, while they could have done it with Qt in order to reduce their efforts.
Please stop spreading FUD. GTK and Qt will be equally supported under MeeGo. Sygic will not "lose money" by using GTK.

The Following User Says Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
Please stop spreading FUD. GTK and Qt will be equally supported under MeeGo. Sygic will not "lose money" by using GTK.
So please explain with arguments why you think I am spreading FUD, otherwise you're just acting like a fanboy... and probably one who never wrote any sw at all...

As I said applications wrote with GTK will need more work to port it to Meego than QT applications (GTK apps in general, not just Sygic), isn't that true???

Nokia is advising developers to choose QT for some time now. If GTK is equally supported like you said, what is the point of that?? Supported is different from seamlessly portability...

Nokia is advising developers to choose QT for some time now. If GTK is equally supported like you said, what is the point of that?? Supported is different from seamlessly portability...
What is your point here? Originally it was announced even before Maemo5 launch that Maemo6 (now MeeGo) will be moving to QT, everybody has known that. Now with MeeGo there will be GTK support too.

Sygic doesn't look like GTK application and my guess is that they are using their own graphics toolkit (maybe OpenGL based?), because the applicaiton looks the same as in iPhone for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
What is your point here? Originally it was announced even before Maemo5 launch that Maemo6 (now MeeGo) will be moving to QT, everybody has known that. Now with MeeGo there will be GTK support too.

Sygic doesn't look like GTK application and my guess is that they are using their own graphics toolkit (maybe OpenGL based?), because the applicaiton looks the same as in iPhone for example.
My original question was if Sygic is using Qt or not, and it is still unanswered. My point is that, as a potential byuer, I would like to know if the GPS app I acquire could run on other Meego devices when I sell my N900. This was the speech from Nokia, that Qt will bring the benefit of carrying your apps between mobiles.

It was just a doubt, but an important one if you are thinking on spending 80+ euros on a GPS app, not to mention that we already paid 600 euros for N900 and Nokia is offering free navigation for much cheapier devices...

i think nokia was talking about developers

The Following User Says Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
This is my last reply to you, russo_br. If you wish to have a decent conversation with me, just let me know.

So please explain with arguments why you think I am spreading FUD, otherwise you're just acting like a fanboy... and probably one who never wrote any sw at all...
I sure hope I've written software. I do it for a living. Oh, and I've made a few Maemo apps.
As I said applications wrote with GTK will need more work to port it to Meego than QT applications (GTK apps in general, not just Sygic), isn't that true???
And how do you base your opinion? Have you made a Maemo app? The only thing that will need "porting" is moving away from Hildon, which isn't earth shattering or cause to think porting will take 30 developers months to do.
Nokia purchased Trolltech, creators of Qt. Nokia wants to push Qt across to Symbian as well. Their advice is nothing more than marketing. If you are not interested in supporting Symbian devices then you don't have to use Qt.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
I asked again about it states:

Sygic is testing its navigation software on N900 and other Nokia phones (new symbian maybe). So, you dont have to wait too much, maybe it will be released in the late summer (august).

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Late summer, are they kidding is was supposedly ready pre Christmas? The lack of any concrete info unfortunaltely still leads me to the conclusion that this app will never see the light of day

I had hoped that with the Ovi Paid apps fix in the last PR that it would allow Sygic to release. Maybe they are waiting for the bigger firmware update?

august? in time for meego ? lol

August. LoL
I've been waiting since December and really need Turn by Turn navigation now :/
Now I gotta buy a N97 or something like that to use Ovi Maps

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn