Notices

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
@Smoku: Though I'm not sure I follow the app name issue. HAM shows you the 'maemo name', just as the QA queue.
If you're a tester working through QA queue it's fine.

I'm talking about the following workflow:
- I added extras-testing to HAM
- I've found an interesting app and installed it
- The app is indeed nice and I want to vote thumb up

I have trouble finding the app with packages interface, to vote it up.

This is my point guys, if there are many applications for N900 & the promoting system is crap or slow, then this MUST be adjusted.

Cos i know there are plenty of app. under ( Extras-devel & Extras-test) but it doesn't mean that, if i don't give feedback, then the appl. will never been promoted to Extras!!!!!!

there must be at least 5-10 reliable people from Maemo team who should test the appl. & promote the same.

If the testing has to go through the users, then we will never ever end up with many appl.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Thanks atilla77 & olighak.

what the is the reason for Qt in Maemo 5? Is it to help/ encourage developers build new apps for Meego?
Yes, but they will be continuing to mess with the API's in the OS as they go from Meego-Harmattan (Which is really not Meego but Maemo) to a collection of Meego API's in the device after the next.

And who knows if they'll stabilize on a set of framework after that...the past does not look promising.

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Thanks atilla77 & olighak.
If that's the case, would this not require hardware compatability (similarity) between N900 and the first Meego device?
Even though built in Qt there is still need for software adjustments to account for hardware differences to some extent, for example the touch approach of capacitive screens versus resistive screens.

So software will still need to be adapted for specific devices to some extent. I guess they are hoping that people will do the adaption as it'll be "less cumbersome" then before.

But still why should established Symbian programmers re-make their programs for the N9, which is going to be dead at birth, or have enough belief in Nokia to focus on the next device after the N9?

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread, "When we Expect a Huge & reliable numbers of applications for N900 ?", with forty posts has been merged into this thread. Please do not duplicate stickied threads.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
If you're a tester working through QA queue it's fine.

And, again, I've suggested a solution for this in the form of an application that takes care of all the boring details (with some help from the user in some cases) and makes voting a one click deal.

Since changes in HAM won't happen (according to you guys), why not try something else and at least get something that works?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
But, for all those who already have software out for Symbian there's not much of a necessity to go re-make their software, as the only additional front to gain would be the Meego/Maemo devices, all 1-2 of them.

Why should for example the Polish Psiloc company rewrite their Symbian apps in Qt?
For three reasons (though rewrite is probably the wrong term here, I would go along the lines of "release the next version for").

1. Symbian^4 WILL break backward compatibility. Symbian^3 is a transitional release, a bridge between ole S60/AVKON and the new, uiemo (Symbian^4) age. Their apps will be good as dead on Symbian^4.

2. Qt (with all it’s wrinkles) is way, way, more pleasant to work with than S60 ever was.

3. Extend your coverage to Maemo/MeeGo AND WinMo AND the desktop.

So there you go - the plus side is that it future proofs, is easier to work with, and extends you coverage. Hardly a bad proposition. That’s the idea, anyway, with the presumption that Symbian/Nokia/Intel follow through their roadmap and Qt continues to develop in it’s current pace

Originally Posted by !!Nokia N900!! View Post
This is my point guys, if there are many applications for N900 & the promoting system is crap or slow, then this MUST be adjusted.
It's not the system or the users to blame only.

Ie. I managed to push users of my apps to vote, so the ones I wanted are already in Extras.
It takes some good will and advertisement though.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
It's not the system or the users to blame only.

Ie. I managed to push users of my apps to vote, so the ones I wanted are already in Extras.
It takes some good will and advertisement though.
I second that, I had to beg people for two weeks to get the ten thumbs to promote it in to extras.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
An excellent use case description.

How do you find it troublesome? Where are you starting from? What would make it easier (yes, direct integration with HAM would be wonderful; but that's not feasible - what about a separate third party app? How could the web interface be improved?)

More specifically, if you know any PHP coders, or can design websites (and, even better, deliver the HTML & CSS) contribute new screenflows which you think would make it better - whilst maintaining the current functionality.

I think there's probably some simple things to be learnt from Web 2.0 websites (like a big green "vote here" button on the QA queue page), but no-one's stepped up to design an integrated site.

You don't have to be a Midgard developer, a PHP developer, able to do HTML & CSS or anything technical at all to make it better. But the community's massively short of man power to tackle things like this, and no-one new is stepping up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
How do you find it troublesome?
The most problematic is HAM not showing the real package name, only Maemo name.
Don't get me wrong - I think it's good that Debian package name is hidden from user and one sees Maemo name.

The second point is - I'm often to lazy to open a browser, log in, find the app, and vote.
One-click interface would help greatly. Even in form of a HAM-replacement with additional features.

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software