Alright, after filing down the edges of my mini-A cable, it now fits the mini-b port in my n800.

Working / Working-ish:
Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB drive (mounts and filesystem works)
Apple USB keyboard - Typing possible, capslock doesn't light up but still works, errors about "USB hub not supported". Hub does in fact work - I can plug the Cruzer Micro into it.
BU-353 GPS - After insmodding pl2303 drivers, works fine with gpsd and maemo-mapper.
Nikon D40 - works, mounts card.

No driver yet, but appears to work:
USB Prism2 wireless card - Recognised - will have to compile driver and see what happens

No driver yet, not sure if it will work:
Keyspan USA-19 USB PDA Adaptor (usb to serial): Caused device reboot, shortly after unplugging. "USB hub not supported"

Not working:
Legend card reader - lights up, can't mount the SD for some reason. Might be because there are multiple units available...

Last edited by t3h; 2008-02-03 at 13:42.

I found a very cheap USB F-F adaptor that looks like it will work:

$1.48 with free shipping worldwide:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...646~r.45363994

I've got one (and a whole heap of other stuff) on the way...

Originally Posted by t3h View Post
Alright, after filing down the edges of my mini-A cable, it now fits the mini-b port in my n800.

Working / Working-ish:
Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB drive (mounts and filesystem works)
Apple USB keyboard - Typing possible, capslock doesn't light up but still works, errors about "USB hub not supported". Hub does in fact work - I can plug the Cruzer Micro into it.
BU-353 GPS - After insmodding pl2303 drivers, works fine with gpsd and maemo-mapper.
Nikon D40 - works, mounts card.

No driver yet, but appears to work:
USB Prism2 wireless card - Recognised - will have to compile driver and see what happens

No driver yet, not sure if it will work:
Keyspan USA-19 USB PDA Adaptor (usb to serial): Caused device reboot, shortly after unplugging. "USB hub not supported"

Not working:
Legend card reader - lights up, can't mount the SD for some reason. Might be because there are multiple units available...
maybe one day we'l all be using USB 3G adapters, in which case, ur Wireless card test is extremely useful and shows a lot of progress

First post:

This should be a cable that puts the N810 in host mode automatically:

http://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=74220

"AK 676-AA : USB 2.0 A-Stecker auf Micro-USB A-Stecker 1m"

Shipping mainly to germany.

I didn't read this thread far enough so I wrongly ordered 2 of these
http://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=74221 , which are micro B - USB A (same as the one that shipped with the N810)

I did not yet order the micro A - USB A one but maybe someone else can report.

**EDIT** : Ha! They sent me the wrong ones - that is: the RIGHT ones for automatic USB host mode: Micro USB B - USB A
And I can confirm that pluging the cable is enough to put the N810 into host mode & it recognized my PQI 4GB USB stick without additional powersupply.

Last edited by iolsmit; 2008-02-17 at 18:13.

Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
maybe one day we'l all be using USB 3G adapters, in which case, ur Wireless card test is extremely useful and shows a lot of progress
this would be a KILLER app that would sell a boatload more N800/N810;s than has been sold.

one of the shortcomings on the Internet tablet is its reliance on Wifi where free WIFI is getting more and more scarce or pairing with an EVDO phone which is a little clumsy IMO.

it could be solved with the Wimax connectivity that was announced as a possibility. However, i;d rather be able to chose my own provider.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I have just received a cheap usb hub. I bought it since it has an external power socket, so I supposedly can connect (relatively) high power devices but I noticed that the dc port is just wired in parallel to the 5v line. Is that normal or I risk frying the tablet if I connect an external power source?

Wiring it that way would seem dumb, but the N800 probably is (& SHOULD BE) diode-protected. There's some risk associated, but I think not much.

Your tablet, your call.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
USB host mode is the only thing keeping me from going back to OS2007.

I have ordered one of the nifty N800 USB OTG adapters announced in this thread. That should make things even better!

Got the Nikon Coolpix to work. Per Jolouis' suggestion, moving over from "dongle" thread. I got the Nikon to read on the N800. Though the camera was working, I put new batteries in and then took a picture with a newly formatted CF card. That did it. I think the new batteries are what mattered. I'm gonna try a powered hub with the other two devices, and I'll update. Thanks for the reply Jolouis.

Hi, I have done all things about USB-Host and USB- OTG with Mara's guide. I have bought a f-f usb adapter and plugged in one side to the nokia dke-2 cable and plugged in to cable to the n800. Then switched device to USB-Host mode and plugged in my bigboy 2gb flash memory to the f-f adapter but it didn't worked,no light appears. After this I tried another flash memory Twinmos 512mb and it worked like a charm. Since I thought Bigboy needs more power I bought digitus powered usb hub and tried with bigboy but nothings happened again and it didn't worked.When I connect the usb hub "usb hub not supported" message appears. What can I do for fixing this problem? Is there any usb hub driver etc. for n800 OS2008 that I must install? Because, n800 didn't recognize the usb hub. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Thanks in Advance