Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Oh, that's AWESOME! You simply must give us a few more impressions!

What did you like most about it? How could you see yourself using it?

Details, my man... Details!
Well, one thing I'll tell you right away is that it was much larger than my Dell Mini9, side by side. But, ironically, it has a true dual core (vs hyperthreaded single core Atom at 1.2GHz) and lasts up to 16 hours (vs maybe up to 8 hours if I'm careful--more likely 6 on the Mini, which is still pretty nice, mind you) and also has a higher resolution (1280x800 vs the mini's 1024x600). So, as stated, it's a GREAT netbook! But when I held it and tried see if I could get comfortable with it, it felt a little awkward since I'm used to my Galaxy Tab's portability and I started to wonder how I'd carry it around. My Tab just simply slips into a pocket (hip, cargo or even my coat's chest pocket) just fine--this wouldn't fit into my biggest pocket. It's a mixed blessing--too big to fit like my Galaxy Tab, but NICE and big to look at unlike my Dell mini.

My coworker has a pretty nice carrying sleeve that works pretty nicely, though. I might see that being handy to carry it around, but I STILL can't see myself casually bringing it everywhere the way I do a 7-inch tablet.

Performance seemed to be about what I expected, having already used a Moto Xoom before--just far more fluid, but I expected that too.

Any particular aspect of impression you're looking for?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, one thing I'll tell you right away is that it was much larger than my Dell Mini9, side by side. But, ironically, it has a true dual core (vs hyperthreaded single core Atom at 1.2GHz) and lasts up to 16 hours (vs maybe up to 8 hours if I'm careful--more likely 6 on the Mini, which is still pretty nice, mind you) and also has a higher resolution (1280x800 vs the mini's 1024x600). So, as stated, it's a GREAT netbook! But when I held it and tried see if I could get comfortable with it, it felt a little awkward since I'm used to my Galaxy Tab's portability and I started to wonder how I'd carry it around. My Tab just simply slips into a pocket (hip, cargo or even my coat's chest pocket) just fine--this wouldn't fit into my biggest pocket. It's a mixed blessing--too big to fit like my Galaxy Tab, but NICE and big to look at unlike my Dell mini.

My coworker has a pretty nice carrying sleeve that works pretty nicely, though. I might see that being handy to carry it around, but I STILL can't see myself casually bringing it everywhere the way I do a 7-inch tablet.

Performance seemed to be about what I expected, having already used a Moto Xoom before--just far more fluid, but I expected that too.

Any particular aspect of impression you're looking for?
I'm mainly just looking for a personal perspective rather than a dull regurgitation of features that's so prevalent on the interwebs.

Seeing the tablet next to the Dell mini 9, it really is evident that the difference that 10.1" vs 8.9" is quite a striking size difference. It is also very impressive that with a far smaller battery in the tablet, it is able to out-gun the mini 9 in regular use. While the base adds time, the tablet alone should go for around 10 hours without it.

I agree: as a netbook replacement it looks great. I would even take it as a notebook replacement if the software and speed were high enough to scrape by. The battery life alone is a highly compelling feature.

How do you think you'd feel about an 8.9" screen having used a 10.1"? Are you going to spring for the Transformer? Did you get a chance to play with any apps and have impressions?

Other than that, feel free to let me continue to live vicariously through your tales of adventure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Vizio is bringing low-cost to the tablet market, with an $349 8" tablet:

http://www.androidcentral.com/vizio-...in-coming-soon
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXqZ__u_9RQ
  • 8-inch touchscreen
  • Honeycomb
  • 1GHz processor
  • Front-facing camera
  • WiFi
  • HDMI-out
  • 3 speakers

Meh.... I'm not digging their interface, and the specs are somewhat ambiguous...

I do like, the 3-speaker concept, which adds stereo to landscape mode.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I'm mainly just looking for a personal perspective rather than a dull regurgitation of features that's so prevalent on the interwebs.

Seeing the tablet next to the Dell mini 9, it really is evident that the difference that 10.1" vs 8.9" is quite a striking size difference. It is also very impressive that with a far smaller battery in the tablet, it is able to out-gun the mini 9 in regular use. While the base adds time, the tablet alone should go for around 10 hours without it.

I agree: as a netbook replacement it looks great. I would even take it as a notebook replacement if the software and speed were high enough to scrape by. The battery life alone is a highly compelling feature.

How do you think you'd feel about an 8.9" screen having used a 10.1"? Are you going to spring for the Transformer? Did you get a chance to play with any apps and have impressions?

Other than that, feel free to let me continue to live vicariously through your tales of adventure.
Heheh.. well, considering I had all of about half an hour with it, I can't really say much more about it. I would LOVE to have plugged in a buttload of USB devices to see what works and doesn't work (mouse, keyboard, joysticks, printers, another Android phone, a USB ethernet port dongle, global thermonuclear weapons, etc.) but since I don't own it and it was a short period of time, I didn't get to give you my own style of run-down. But, I'll tell you what BOY---it impressed me already and makes me want to TRY all of those things and more! (Excluding weapons)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Heheh.. well, considering I had all of about half an hour with it, I can't really say much more about it. I would LOVE to have plugged in a buttload of USB devices to see what works and doesn't work (mouse, keyboard, joysticks, printers, another Android phone, a USB ethernet port dongle, global thermonuclear weapons, etc.) but since I don't own it and it was a short period of time, I didn't get to give you my own style of run-down. But, I'll tell you what BOY---it impressed me already and makes me want to TRY all of those things and more! (Excluding weapons)
Be honest, you wanna try the weapons too...

Well, son, it sounds darned impressive. But do you think you'll actually get one?

Android is getting more and more games! Another partnership promises too bring many more casual titles to the platform.

Kiloo and PapayaMobile:

http://www.androidcentral.com/kiloo-...-games-android

Looking good!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@ Capt'n Huawei d I'd cut corners where they could to keep the price down. Small battery, crappy cameras, resistive screen. However they did include a kickstand, removable steel back plate and a removable battery (ala phones). They did get away from all that with the slim though and probably the mediapad as well. All in all even with the issues, I'd buy one again.

@dan thanks for the info on the tansformer. It correleates with my thoughts on size nicely. 10" is a nice screen size, but not very portable (in terms of dropping it in a pocket and going).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
I found out more about the Sony S2 the screen size is 5.5 inches and each each screen 1024x480 which a very odd resolution, but it should be good for wide screen viewing of websites and video. I can't wait for this device. I hope it is reasonably priced.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sony-Tablet-S2_id5451

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Because it was mentioned here by danramos (curse you!), I recently became interested in the Entourage Edge PE or whatever it's called, the two-screened (eink and non eink) device and I bought one. The company went out of business almost the next day and a few days later closed their site. So the problem became how to communicate any more. We converged on the Mobilread site and at least we can talk to other losers there. That would be another option if this site closed, though I would prefer a low-censorship site, and whoever runs that one seems like a quick to stomp on forbidden commentary sort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
I still don't have the keyboard dock, so I could not test USB devices yet.
But so far this is the best device I have bought, the dock will only make it better.

I am now in the process of gathering info (reading XDA forums) about
rooting > installing PRIME! v1.4 ROM > installing Clemsyn-Blades Overclocking kernel to at least 1.4GHz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy