Hey Dan!

Is this a good result on Quadrant?

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Google has acquired SageTV:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/18/s...top-google-tv/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiUzS5s7jps

Google TV may get an upgraded TV experience to compliment its Android apps.
Wow! I remember Sage TV! It was REALLY slick, even way back when it was HARD to find a good piece of DVR software on even DEDICATED devices made to be used as DVR's. VERY good for Android and Google TV! I wonder how the TV execs will react to this? They were already flipping raged over the current Google TV. Myopic mental midgets that they are, they prefer to deny customers content the way they want it, WHEN they want it and pine for the 80's style TV schedules and Nielson ratings. :P

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
From what I've read, this may be related to most apps being programed for portrait being the default usage state (phones) versus the S7, landscape as the default. However, and perhaps dan can chime in, this isn't an issue with the Samsung Tab.

So, is it lazy app programmers, or is it lazy (or inexperienced) manufacturers?
I absolutely, 100% chalk it up to the app developers, although I'm not necessarily convinced that they're lazy so much as maybe in need of learning good ol' "best practices." This is just like the early days of web page development--where you had people who INSISTED that their website was best viewed at high resolutions... and then other people who coded their websites to automatically re-flow and adjust to just about any sane resolution. I actually keep a placemarker webpage at my website (http://pleco.org) that I designed/wrote in vi (a notepad-like plain-text editor) but I wrote it "properly" to flow and readjust itself well... I even hyper-optimized each and every image on the page so that it loads fast even on a lowly 1200 baud modem. The result is a web page that, even today, looks pretty simple but good--well formatted--and even looks great on a tiny 320x240 screen. (I've tried loading it up on every web browser you can imagine.. even on my mom's old PalmOne Zire z72, my Palm Tungstun T5, and my old Atari 800XL with Contiki. Basically, app designers CAN do things the quick and dirty way and make it look right on certain hardware, or do it the RIGHT WAY (giving up nothing except discipline) and get the same results all across the board on all hardware. There's really no good excuse.

For the record, MOST things look GREAT on my Galaxy Tab with very few exceptions--and those few are obvious in that they either revert to a teeny screen inside my giant tablet interface (to emulate a phone-sized screen) or else I see mis-shapen objects/icons... which is UNFORGIVABLE because they're clearly using a full capable SDK version (if it doesn't revert to a small screen, it's because they're using a newer SDK) but they're still manually and recklessly coding their UI to a teeny screen device instead of formatting things in a smart way and letting the OS handle it FOR them regardless of the screen dimension and DPI.

That's my experience and understanding, anyway. YMMV

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Well all, my time here are TMO online will be coming to a close within the next little while. I have made the hard (and somewhat unnerving) decision to put the time that I use toward other endeavors, and as my time is a premium cannot do both. As this is my only outlet for online socializing, I shall gently fade into oblivion.

I'm not gone quite yet, though. I will continue to post, but the rate of my posts will steadily decline. When the time comes, I will slip away quietly without much fanfare or ado.

I have really enjoyed posting, and chatting with you all on a variety of subjects over the years. Thanks to this forum, I have been exposed to the world of mobile and new perspectives that I would otherwise have been blind to, have made friends, and hopefully helped the community in some small part.

I wish you all the very best of success, and hope that you go forth on our journeys with love in your hearts.
What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

Dude--keep in touch! I knew this was going to happen one way or another and it's a shame. Where can I find you hanging out socially?? If nothing else, friend me up on the Facebook thing.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Captaim you'll be missed.
And, if I'm using a Tab now, it's *your* fault (and Dan's)!
Guilty as charged. I hope it's been a pleasure for everyone that's joined me on this trip with the Tab! I know I'm STILL finding new and incredible things to do with tit. Here.. take a look at THESE cool and crazy things I've been playing with lately!! Let's see an N900 do this stuff that even my old Motorola Droid and Galaxy Tab can handily do thanks to ongoing excellent platform support:

PhotoFunia
Video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzHnPJWx7A
PhotoFunia is a photo editing tool that gives you a fun filled experience. Put your face on a billboard, a stamp, or in a Warhol-like work of pop-art. Become the Mona Lisa or a bodybuilder. You get over 150 scenes to play with. You're not cutting and pasting; instead, the app "finds" the face in your photo and integrates it with the scene of your choice.

and
Postagram
Postagram prints and ships your photos to friends and family as real postcards. Postagram makes it easy to send a printed photo in the mail to yourself, friends or family anywhere in the world. Take a shot with the app or use photos from your photo library or Facebook.

You can also print your photos right from galleries and albums such as: QuickPic, picplz, PicsIn and pho.to.

You can use Postagram to print from your favorite photo editor and effects apps like: PicSay, Vignette, Camera360, Touchnote, Postdroid, FxCamera, Postino, Shoot it!, Camera Zoom FX, Retro Camera and PhotoFunia.

There... some more things to get addicted to. ENJOY!

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
260 is good for brand new.
Keep in mind all of those last-gen devices are losing value really fast like the early snapdragon ones (Nexus One, Desire, Xperia X10) and the motorolas (Droid, Milestone, Milestone XT705something) and even the Galaxy Tab (the original 7 incher). The only last-gen device that isn't losing as much value is the Nokia N900 (thanks to all of you)!
How do you figure the N900 isn't losing as much value as these other devices? Given the very high platform support for new OS's, even from the community if not the manufacturers, even on stuff as old as the Motorola Droid, and considering how dramatic the price dropped on the N900's almost immediately out of the gate, I can't necessarily agree. Are you basing this on some specific criteria or some "bluebook" type of value system? Near as I can tell, people are still buying up LOTS of the old Android devices so that they can hack OS's onto them (I'm not sure I'll ever end up completely giving up on my Motorola Droid for the solid reliability of hacking on it--even if I got a new phone to replace it someday or switched carriers).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Hey Dan!

Is this a good result on Quadrant?

You're an arse and I still hate you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
n9 is a total letdown - i will be joining the android camp once I find a good phone with a hardware keyboard (sorry desire z sux)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
n9 is a total letdown - i will be joining the android camp once I find a good phone with a hardware keyboard (sorry desire z sux)
Any particular ones you were looking for? If it helps, take a look over this list maybe: http://blogandroid.com/the-best-qwer...1-compared-38/

The nice thing about the Android platform (vs the Nokia's experience, or even the Apple iP* experience) is that at least you can buy your apps, switch phones and pick and choose your carrier and hardware manufacturer. So, welcome aboard and I hope you find something great that fits you! At least on the Android side you'll have a better chance of it. Let me know if there's anything I can point out to help, if I can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You're an arse and I still hate you.
LOL!

That score is not mine, but I will install the same ROM and OC Kernel soon

I also read somewhere that Honeycomb 3.2 is coming soon.
EDIT:

Here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06...ixes-and-more/

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2011-06-21 at 05:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Looks like Peggle is out for Android and it's the free app of the day on Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/PopCap-Games-I.../dp/B0055OQCZI

Word of warning--if you try to "buy" it on some devices (Galaxy Tab, Transformer, etc.), you'll get an obnoxious denial to even so much as read or look at pictures of this app in the Amazon App Store itself, where it claims that this app is incompatible. I managed to get it installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab by first going to the Amazon web site to click on the button to buy it for free, then went back to the Amazon app store on my Galaxy Tab, tapped the MENU button to choose MY APPS, where it shows up under the "New' tab. It installs only over wifi, but installs just fine and runs fine for me.

That all aside, though, I've played Peggle on my Xbox 360 and on my Nintendo DSi before, but this Android version feels a little sloppy (the opening dialog asking for username is blank, the music doesn't loop properly--it plays out and fades, then restarts--as if it's repeatedly playing an audio track that fades at the end). Otherwise, gameplay works great, zoom-in works great, etc. I don't understand why it's been blocked from installing on a bunch of systems that clearly are able to run it just fine. (another fellow with an Asus eee Transformer in another review had the exact same problem and suggested that way around the block that I described earlier.) Am I overlooking some detail as to why we're being denied this from these devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
While discussions on the N9[50] go on, I'm having an enormous fun with the Galaxy Tab. Weren't for that bad feeling of havinf transitated to the dark side of the force, it would be perfect. I've got also quickly accustomed to the on-screen-keyboard - btw I'm using quite a complete one, Hacker's keyboard: http://market.android.com/details?id...ion.pckeyboard

And I have discovered a set of programs that work very well in doing the same things I am used to do on my N900:

Visual task switcher free, which has more or less the same feeling of the maemo5 dashboard, albeit static - and works in an easier way than itching thumb: http://market.android.com/details?id...e.taskswitcher

Ezpdf reader, which annotates pdf files like Xournal: http://market.android.com/details?id=udk.android.reader

AllAppsOrganizer, which allows separate your program icons into logical groups, and is well configurable: http://market.android.com/details?id...OrganizerPlusB

TouchRetouch, an almost miracle program to delete parts of a photo, which reconstructs the background automagically: http://market.android.com/details?id...t.touchretouch

Jota text editor, which is a good asciii editor allowing regexp search/replace: http://market.android.com/details?id...o.pandora.jota

Document scanner, which takes photos of documents and straightens them like Front View from maemo5, but also tweaks them well in greyscale or b/w and outputs in pdf: http://market.android.com/details?id...ocumentscanner

I still miss Comboy or any Tomboy notes browser & editor (there is Tomdroid notes but is read-only by now).
That, and I want Easy Debian on the Tab.

But the most important thing is I actually can read, can use it with my normal glasses without having to pull them out and keep the display at 10 cm from my nose!

I understand my enthusiasm now might feel noobish, I know, but... I hd just tolet you know I'm just in astate of silly geeky happiness

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Dude--right there with you, trust me. I hadn't been this happy with a purchase since my N800 years ago. I wish Nokia didn't screw up their 'Internet Tablet" strategy to instead go for another iPhone competitor "me too!" handset. Nokia COULD have had a whole other market segment that they were already ahead of to fall back on now that their phones are falling out of popularity. But I digress, at least Android has the benefit of a diversity of manufacturers competing amongst themselves to keep things fresh and churning innovation. We can see how that lack of competition has begun backfiring on Apple and is rapidly killing Nokia.

Congrats on joining the Android army, lad! We can only help each other to make it that much better. Speaking of which--I've never seen that hacker's keyboard before... and I loooooove it. THANKS!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy