Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I can't in good conscience vote on 42 when I went almost instantly to 46.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
What is ur dev revision ? 2204 ? PR 1.2 ? Has anyone had trouble playing SDLMame or Mame with CPU at 1 Ghz and dualshock connected?

@ Geneven. What is ur device revision? PR 1.2 or PR 1.3 ? Do you play psx4all or mame with 1 Ghz overclocked?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gleydsonpr View Post
@ Geneven. What is ur device revision? PR 1.2 or PR 1.3 ? Do you play psx4all or mame with 1 Ghz overclocked?
1.3. No.

ten characters

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I don't know how you people didn't figure that out. Okay, maybe some hardware revisions play differently with uboot. Maybe. But I kinda doubt it. So what I really think is that the people who killed their battery unable to charge didn't have the patience to sit there for a few minutes after plugging in the cable when their device was off. That, or the kernel attached to their uboot was f'ed up, and then that's not really uboot's problem.
The fact is, I did plug in the charger. Nothing happend. Battery stayed flat. Turning it on or off made no difference. Two hours or whole day. Still no difference. Many did have encounter this problem, or some conspiracy was going on with those club members.
Uboot is great, in principle, of course. But not every uboot build play that well in real situations. Just my 2 cents.

The Following User Says Thank You to 009N For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
1.3. No.

ten characters
I want to know if it is safe to install Power46 on PR 1.2 dev rev 2401, I dont have fcam or bless installed any more, and should I upgrade from Power44 to Power46? Or uninstall first? Thanks any1 .

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
my frustration with the mind-numbing inability people seem to have to figure things out.

I don't know how you people didn't figure that out. Okay, maybe some hardware revisions play differently with uboot. Maybe. But I kinda doubt it. So what I really think is that the people who killed their battery unable to charge didn't have the patience to sit there for a few minutes after plugging in the cable when their device was off.
That must be it, the scores of people who had this issue must be idiots with the attention span of a goldfish. - you know some of these guys had a bricked phone for a number of days, you would have thought that one of them would have had the sense to plug it into the wall

The fact of the matter is that U-boot did not play well with a pre-installed multiboot and folks could not load a kernel, and yes most of the people I discussed this with tried pretty much everything including your suggestion to get the battery charged, all of them had to get it charged externaly.

From my observations, I believe that some part of the kernel must be loaded before the device can charge - try it yourself, turn off the phone, plug it in and watch as the 5 dots appear before it starts charging.

Originally Posted by elipsoid View Post
That must be it, the scores of people who had this issue must be idiots with the attention span of a goldfish. - you know some of these guys had a bricked phone for a number of days, you would have thought that one of them would have had the sense to plug it into the wall
That is not what the word bricked means. A bricked device is a device that cannot be revived at a (regular) user's home. If it only requires a micro usb cable and a PC (and a way to charge a BL-4J battery in the worse case) it is not bricked.

The fact of the matter is that U-boot did not play well with a pre-installed multiboot and folks could not load a kernel, and yes most of the people I discussed this with tried pretty much everything including your suggestion to get the battery charged, all of them had to get it charged externaly.
There is no problem between u-boot an multiboot. No program knows or cares if what is flashed in the kernel partition on the NAND is a linux kernel, or a u-boot that loads a linux kernel.

The problem that was with power44 was that the combination of NOLO and u-boot on HW revision 2204 leaves the system in a state that causes the kernel to hang at start.

From my observations, I believe that some part of the kernel must be loaded before the device can charge - try it yourself, turn off the phone, plug it in and watch as the 5 dots appear before it starts charging.
The device can charge (slowly) if no kernel is running at all - there is a hardware component for that.

How do you know when it starts charging?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Just want to ask again: could it be some conflict between uboot and HW versions? If so then would it be good the mention the HW versions that have tested the kernel and uboot?

Matan, on your first point its really a matter of interpretation, from wiki:
"When used in reference to consumer electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a device with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the fact that some electronic devices (and their detachable power supplies) are vaguely brick-shaped, and so those which do not function are useful only as actual bricks. The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to modify its firmware."[1]

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. However, it is common to use the term for a problem which can be rectified but only by a complex and difficult procedure, often requiring additional software
."

I wasn't aware that it was a conflict of the HW revision and V44 , it was an assuption that I had made regarding multi-boot.

Anyway - on the battery issue, I can confirm you are right. I am running V45 and have just left my device at the U-boot screen when plugged into the wall for the last few minutes (I have had to cancel loading by pressing a keyboard key periodically as it will only sit at the Tux screen for a little while before reloading). I then booted and opened BatteryGraph - it now has more capacity than when I first turned it off, so hardware is charging the battery.

However it don't understand why some people were claiming to have left their device plugged in for some time and were unable to flash, I doubt that they are lying. Perhaps the error, or reboot loop was in some way draining more power than was being supplied, the only way to check for sure would be to revert to V44 for testing.