Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Why do we presuppose that N9 will be different from the rest of the buggy NOKIA phones? to judge by N900, N9 will be born with so many congenital anomalies, that no therapy will salvage it.
Quick question, what phone do you use?

I challenge you to read any tech blog's preview/review of any recently released, hell ANY Symbian phone. Do it. Read what they have to say. Read how they pan the software and say it's not ready for primetime.

Now read what those same blogs have to say about the N9. Engadget has never ever ever not even once said a kind word about any Nokia phone before the N9.

You speak of people making presuppositions, but turn and do the exact same yourself. The fact that sites like Engadget and Gizmodo have spoken so highly of the N9 and its software SPEAK VOLUMES about it in my mind.

The thing that kills me about your posts and criticisms is the fact that you ignore ANYTHING even slightly contrary to your view of the N9.

For example:
You: "I heard from two dudes (that used the phone for a grand total of 30 minutes combined) that the Virtual Keyboard is crappy"

Daperl (or somebody, I forget who): "Actually, I've been using an N950 as my main phone for about a month and the virtual keyboard isn't that bad"

You: "That's a different device, your opinion isn't valid"
Me: "^WTF, srsly?"

Not to mention, you completely ignored ALL of the glowing previews put out by the mainstream tech pundits. Sites that have extensive galleries and hands-on and videos that have spent real time with the device.

If you're going to be critical of something, at least base your criticisms in reality man. As it stands right now, you sound like somebody that is just angry that you've been buying crappy Symbian phones for years and finally got fed up. I too bought a bunch of Symbian garbage, but I just don't hold grudges like you I guess.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Is the VKB open-source? At worse, CAN you at least replace the VKB with a replacement? If SOME people like it, great--keep it. If not, can you at least get something you're far more comfortable with or replace the closed-source one with an open-source one that CAN be improved? I know that, at least on Android, there's a default keyboard but you can replace it easily... and many people really love Swype as their on-screen keyboard (myself included!). Can this also be done on the N9?
The VKB is open-source (Google Maliit if the details interest). And yes, it can be extended and replaced.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
The VKB is open-source (Google Maliit if the details interest). And yes, it can be extended and replaced.
Excellent! No need to send it to me, since I won't be involved--but it sounds like lots of people are bellyaching about the VKB, so hopefully that means it'll be a minor problem (assuming open-source and no crippling effects of trying to fix it).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Excellent! No need to send it to me, since I won't be involved--but it sounds like lots of people are bellyaching about the VKB, so hopefully that means it'll be a minor problem (assuming open-source and no crippling effects of trying to fix it).
how is the open source vkb for n900 coming along

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
So this thread has turned into a discussion of why Symbian is being axed. Good, because Symbian is (gradually) being axed, so the discussion at least contains some underlying facts based on reality. Still, it is largely irrelevant wrt the N9, and pretty stupid since very few here actually has owned a Symbian^3 device.

My point however, is that unlike most of you, I actually have a fully working and operational glass ball. I already have proved that. I told you a month ago where WP-Nokia will be released and where the N9 will be released. I told you that even if the N9 will not "officially" be released where you live, you will still be able to get it, no problem at all. Everything I said has come true.

Some of you are suddenly hooked onto the notion that the N9 needs marketing to sell. That is partly true. The problem right now is that Nokias budgets are cut to the bone, and the only thing that will be marketed in a traditional sense is WP, sponsored entirely by Microsoft. But, Nokia foot soldiers are active like no time before at outlets and stores where the N9 is officially sold. Nokia is active on social media, having competitions and so on. Weekly prices are N9s.

As a digression, one of the most popular phones right now (of all phones) is the dirt cheap and simple, but extremely robust 3720 Classic. It is used as a second phone in addition to iPhone, Android or N8 (Symbian^3) etc. I guess few, if anyone of you nobrainers understands why, and understand the long term implications this has on the entire phone market.

The largest error you do, is that you (most of you) are fanboys to the core, and you project this fanboyism of yours to Nokia and Elop in particular (Elop = WP). Elop is not a fanboy of any sort, shape or form. He has one goal in mind, and that is to renew Nokia for the future. WP is a key part of that future, but the N9 and Harmattan is also a part, as well as S40 and Qt.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
how is the open source vkb for n900 coming along
I give up... how is it coming along?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I give up... how is it coming along?
It's not. But the keyboard on the N9 is so great that you will through your droid in the wall...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
It's not. But the keyboard on the N9 is so great that you will through your droid in the wall...
Is grammar failure a special feature?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Are you sure you gave yourself the right nick on here ?????.

Where you learn to spell ?.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The N9 no way needs any any marketing whatsoever because the whole world knows now this is the last non Windows device for some time and that is enough to sell it.

Everyone with anything to do with mobile phones knows about the N9 now.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????