Active Topics

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
What are you transmitting to?

I've noticed some radios don't seem to pick it up well while others do. Almost as if they're shielded.

For example, my Phillips DVD/Tuner system only picks up the signal if I literally hold the CPC (Cellular PC) against the antenna.

However my Jeep Wrangler picks up the signal so well I can actually have the CPC sitting in the console between the seats, closed, and it picks up clear as a bell with no interference.
To my car stereo, It gets better when I put the phone up and
raise it all the way back and thats the only way I can hear clear
music without the static. But I cant do that specially im driving a
manual car.

What model car are you driving?

I've heard other people mention weaker signals in their cars. I'm thinking because I have a very no-frills vehicle (standard Jeep, about as basic and rugged as one can get) it probably has very little things installed in it that may shield or interfere with the signal. It's just a theory of mine, as it is incredibly clear in a Wrangler.

EVO IX MR, i'll try to put the window down, maybe i get a diff result.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
Possibly the car antenna situated at the back of the vehicle making your signal better the further back you place your device.
Perhaps placing the external car antenna down while trying to connect?

Also some dashboards are laced with steel frame lower down so possibly interfering with those if car audio unit lower down center console.

Also different/more expensive units being better shielded against interference from the devices like the device you are actually trying to connect.
Well thats good that i can actually contribute something as ive been a mechanic for 16 years. Make up for the lack of knowledge of linux lol.
I'll hope to try it out myself when i finally get mine delivered.

Last edited by MonkeyMagic; 2009-12-07 at 00:04. Reason: error

The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyMagic For This Useful Post:
A casual look at talk.maemo.org really makes you wonder if the N900 is 'buggy', why did Nokia release it so early .. ?

Thankyou to all those who have reported here that their N900 is fully working ... it gives the rest of us a lot of hope

btw, this thread should really be renamed to 'The N900 Appreciation Thread'

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic View Post
Possibly the car antenna situated at the back of the vehicle making your signal better the further back you place your device.
Perhaps placing the external car antenna down while trying to connect?

Also some dashboards are laced with steel frame lower down so possibly interfering with those if car audio unit lower down center console.

Also different/more expensive units being better shielded against interference from the devices like the device you are actually trying to connect.
Well thats good that i can actually contribute something as ive been a mechanic for 16 years. Make up for the lack of knowledge of linux lol.
I'll hope to try it out myself when i finally get mine delivered.
You bring up a good point about the dash. I forgot everything in a Wrangler is installed very high up in the dash for water crossing purposes, so that may have something to do with the great signal I get.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Just got two N900 from Nokia USA (delivery time 2 days!). Phone seems to work flawlessly, I am overwhelmed with its features, even though I was reading Maemo threads daily for weeks.

Looking forward to more Apps, more features, simply: MORE OF ALL.

Love it. Full stop. Best phone I've ever owned, even with its quirks.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Same here. Love this little pocket computer. I don't even use my Macbook Pro (work pc) at home anymore. N900 is my new PC. I only have a small issue with volume rocker' it doesn't seem to click when pressed on left side, but still functions properly. Skype with dial-in/out and Google Voice on top of that is a dream come true. I don't even have cell service on the N900 and I can still make and take phone calls. Now they just have to tie in the VGA front camera for video calls and this device can't be beat. Super happy with it Nokia! Well worth the wait.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
As I posted in another thread.. just got my N900 Friday afternoon. Been busy getting used to it and everything setup, installing apps etc. So far I can definitely say 2 things...

1. No problems at all. Yes, the mic works, totally stable, very fast.
2. In a nutshell, the most amazing piece of technology I've ever held in my hand.

IOW, I'm both very happy and totally rocked. The N900 is one cool tool. Makes an iPhone/OS-X or an Android phone look like toys for boys.

Congratulations and many thanks to the Maemo community and Nokia for a truly revolutionary product.
Registered Linux user #266531.