Active Topics

right, I was talking about portrait mode using FBReader. Left it out though....I just prefer that mode for reading anyway...and I have tried both portrait orientations, top or bottom rotation. As well as both landscape orientations. It is just gonna require some practice and time to adjust. But for now I much prefer the Clie's ergonomics, for me. I like the look and everything of the N800 but it just is not as good a fit for me ergonomically-specifically. Not bad enough to abandon the thing though...no way!!!

I have a larger thicker palm but my finger are a bit short for my palm size and, like I mentioned earlier, due to the RA I do not have the best flexibility anymore. And with the position of the buttons as well as their size it is awkward to use them. With the Clie they have a "jog dial" on the side which can which serves the function of all three of the Nokia buttons save the "full screen" button. And the functionality is context sensitive. When reading, the dial operates to change pages depending on dialing up or down as well as how you define it to work in the reader setup. When using either a form, menu or other application the dial allows moving between fields as well as selection or activation when depressed. Really it's quite a nice design that I was surprised was so useful.

Off to find becomeroot...

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-14 at 00:22.

I turn pages in FBReader by tapping the screen to move one page forward or back.
Play with making your own videos from dvd or good quality files.
When using Media converter for movie files I like the N800 medium quality setting, 400 x 240. Not optimized for 770, high quality conversion (2 passes) and audio gain.
I user Handbrake to convert directly to specs similar to above and to MP4 format. I think the frame rate is about 23.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Sounds like you're getting along with your new n800 nicely too. Works like a charm for me; so far no problems. I'd like to squeeze KDE on here once I find a nice, cheap SD card to put it on.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
I'd like to squeeze KDE on here once I find a nice, cheap SD card to put it on.
SD cards are the least of your worries. You sir are a bona fide masochist. Why not port COBOL too?
400MHz, 128MB. I wouldn't run KDE with double those. You are worse than those idiots who want windoze on the Nokia. No, i take that back. At least KDE runs native.

Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I turn pages in FBReader by tapping the screen to move one page forward or back.
Play with making your own videos from dvd or good quality files.
When using Media converter for movie files I like the N800 medium quality setting, 400 x 240. Not optimized for 770, high quality conversion (2 passes) and audio gain.
I user Handbrake to convert directly to specs similar to above and to MP4 format. I think the frame rate is about 23.

THANKS for the video conversion tips!! I am ashamed to admitt that, well, I am totally a greenhorn with video settings and encoding. I am even worse with music. That is why I like the streaming stuff. It takes the idiot out of the equation...as in ME having to think.

Originally Posted by myk View Post
SD cards are the least of your worries. You sir are a bona fide masochist. Why not port COBOL too?
400MHz, 128MB. I wouldn't run KDE with double those. You are worse than those idiots who want windoze on the Nokia. No, i take that back. At least KDE runs native.

Dude, that's kinda harsh ain't it? I mean calling someone an 'idiot' for having a hobby and shooting for the moon? I mean why the heck not?

And heck, I bet Cobol would run pretty well on the OS and hardware...it used to run on far less powerful systems...as in 8080 and before...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Have you tried KDE?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
O_O Honestly I just wanted to try it out; a full linux desktop on my N800 is just too hard to pass up. I'm not expecting it to run like a dream, of course, but many people seem to get along fine with it. I'm sure it supports quite a few more apps too, and I'm not complaining there :P. But maybe something lighter would be better, like xfce or Fluxbox/openbox/whatever (I'm not very familiar with all of them).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Have you tried KDE?

I am seriously going to try it out. Soon as my 8gb card gets here. I have been reading the KDE forum here and think it's worth the effort to see how it does.

Lol, It's faster than mine!!!