Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I last objected when it rebooted my tablet but I'm really loving the double click to resize a site. In fact I think for everything other than FB I'm going to use it. That double click is really working wonders.
How do you unzoom afterwards?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Slow? I think not. I've played around with Firefox for a few hours now and haven't noticed slow page loads. Quick with good scrolling. Enabled flash and it works pretty well so far. (Hint: if you enable flash, install AdBlock.) Miss the circle zoom a little, but double-tap or Ctrl + Up/Down works well. Has only crashed once and hasn't caused any reboots or other nasty effects. Tabbed browsing is cool and better fonts than MicroB.

The more I use it the more I like it. A good start on a very usable UI. In fact, I'd make it my default browser if I could organize bookmarks into folders. So not quite there yet but good for a 1.0 version. Right behind MicroB as the best mobile browsers I've used yet.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
ey, I'm with ya, the first thing I did when I got my new n900 was install firefox because I absolutely love it on the desktop. It does nothing the built-in browser doesn't, and its slower and doesn't do flash.

so I uninstalled it. oh well, it its still a great desktop app in on x86 desktops on all OSes.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by GI jack View Post
ey, I'm with ya, the first thing I did when I got my new n900 was install firefox because I absolutely love it on the desktop. It does nothing the built-in browser doesn't, and its slower and doesn't do flash.

so I uninstalled it. oh well, it its still a great desktop app in on x86 desktops on all OSes.
It actually does flash, is barely slower than the built-in browser, it has some add-ons already and with Weave(https://mozillalabs.com/weave/) I think it beats the built-in browser, easily.

I also think most fast and quit nice to handle.
BUT: the zoom function!!! :-(
On german keyboard there is no Ctrl Up and down. So since the volume +/- Button are not used for uooming I will use microB for browsing.
On small displays a good, fast and simple zoom is one of the most important things for a browser!

Originally Posted by leiter View Post
I also think most fast and quit nice to handle.
BUT: the zoom function!!! :-(
On german keyboard there is no Ctrl Up and down. So since the volume +/- Button are not used for uooming I will use microB for browsing.
On small displays a good, fast and simple zoom is one of the most important things for a browser!
You can just double tap on the text section you want to read, and it will zoom in. Double tap to zoom out again. Or hold down the blue symbol button and ctrl and then using the arrows.

Lets of course not forget that microb (the n900 built in browser) is based on the firefox rendering engine! The n900's brilliant browsing capabilities out of the box are in part due to the rendering speed of gecko, which microb and firefox have in common.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
You can just double tap on the text section you want to read, and it will zoom in. Double tap to zoom out again. Or hold down the blue symbol button and ctrl and then using the arrows.
Double Tap is ok but symbol button AND ctrl AND arrow is a no-go for me. Especially if you know microB with Volume +/-. It could be so easy...

Is there "any" way to get the xmradio "online" account to play via Fennec or microB? I believe it is an *.asx stream, but using a "flash based player".

Along those lines, any way to get access to one's slingbox via sling.com (i.e. set browser to not present itself as "mobile")?

Originally Posted by leiter View Post
Double Tap is ok but symbol button AND ctrl AND arrow is a no-go for me. Especially if you know microB with Volume +/-. It could be so easy...
Well, I assume someone in the future will write a add-on so you can map keys as you want... or, as a matter of fact, there is such add-on for Firefox but I don't think it works on Fennec. Now I have to try.

Tags
application, browser, fennec, firefox, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, web browser