Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Until we can create software to use all the cores ghz IS important. The N900 loads/renders web-pages way too slowly. And when external HDMI screens can be connected that speed will be even more important.

Furthermore, don't make the mistake of assuming the current OMAP's battery efficiency will hold for the next generation of chips. The upcoming chips run at high speed, are polycoreus AND have a longer battery life.

The idea that chip speed doesn't matter because "software should be optimized" begs the question; people are talking about the SAME level of optimization on a faster chip. Thus, faster experience and better UX. Are you thinking that developers will "unoptimize" the code so that it will still perform poorly on faster hardware? We're unlikely to do that.

Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
Motorola is planning to release a ghz phone by end of 2010 to beat apple.
Ahh, the GHz game.. five minutes in the spotlight. Next, oblivion.

Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
Until we can create software to use all the cores ghz IS important. The N900 loads/renders web-pages way too slowly. And when external HDMI screens can be connected that speed will be even more important.
Multiple cores can resolve some of the sluggishness, though the N900's problem is mostly lack of memory and the Gecko toolkit not being kind to older machines.

Furthermore, don't make the mistake of assuming the current OMAP's battery efficiency will hold for the next generation of chips. The upcoming chips run at high speed, are polycoreus AND have a longer battery life.
Polycoreus? I'm saving that word.

Tags
troll alert, trollololol