sure.
take a look at http://maemo.lancode.de

greetz

Loki: Thank you so much!

I installed the package, and flashed my kernel with the image you provided.

After 2 hours of hacking the config scripts (I've never setup a VPN connection in linux before) - I have something that can connect to my university VPN.

One question: Right now, I use "pon" and "poff" to start and stop the vpn connection. I see that you created a ip-up.local script which seems to do some maemo specific stuff, although, I'm not totally sure what it does. I'm guessing that it somehow updates a GUI to tell you that it's connected. Can you confirm this, and explain it a bit more?

For those (2 or 3) of you who attend Indiana University, and would like a copy of my config files, drop me an email: csoghoian at gmail dot com.

It's a shame that it's my last week of classes for the semester - i've had the N800 at my house all semester long, unable to work on campus.. But finally, i'll be able to take it to class now!

Chris

So can I confirm that I need to flash this onto my N800

zImage-os07-3.2007.10-7-mppe.bin

and then install this

pptpclient-1.7.0.deb

For me to use PPTP VPN? Chris, can you send me your config file as a reference? Where is it stored?

yeah. flash your device with the new kernel (Image-os07-3.2007.10-7-mppe.bin). your kernel now knows mppe-algorithm which is needed by pptp.

then install pptpclient-1.7.0.deb. this installs an armel compiled version of pptp into your system.

now you can follow this link:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ho...figure_by_hand
(a ssh-server on your nokia and a pc is recommend for this)

but after this is also done, there is just one hurdle. take a look at the routing stuff you can find also on the link.
i think http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ro...#all-to-tunnel is a good point to start.

after the routing stuff is done, everything should went fine...

greetz

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. I'm having some problems...

I normally use Windows XP, and the Nokia flasher doesn't allow me to flash zImage-os07-3.2007.10-7-mppe.bin which is like only 1.5mb (?) . So I tried loading Kubuntu and using flasher-3.0 to flash. It took like 1 second to flash it I think and the N800 booted up find after that, everything appears to be the same before flashing. So I'm just wondering if I flashed it? Is there any way to check?

I tried the flasher.dapper file to flash, but it complained about some API being the wrong version. So I ended up trying the flasher-3.0 (which I'm not sure whether it worked or not).

Help required!

Luke

Oh, btw, must I be root in order to run the pptp client? that pon command?

At the moment, it says on dip group has access...

OK, so I went into root....

I followed here
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ho...figure_by_hand

then I ran the pon command and that's it...i don't even know if it works..

no indication....how do I check? I'm trying to get into my school's VPN...should I do this when I'm in school? Cos my laptop allows me to VPN to the school from home too. How to check?

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-04-18 at 14:07.

the binary is just 1,4 MB because it is just a kernel image. not the whole maemo os. after the flashing all settings,data and programms should are there and work fine too.

i used the x86 binary (http://maemo.org/downloads/d3.php?f=flasher-3.0) too, to flash my device. the flash command must be run as root to ensure the right to use the usb-ports.
Code:
sudo ./flasher-3.0 -f -k ./kernel/zImage-os07-3.2007.10-7-mppe.bin
the process should take 2-4 secs... but there will not be any messages a la "mppe was enabled!" but i imagine that there was a green(not blue) indicatior bar during flashing. u can just check it if you install pptp, set all settings and try to connect to your university. if there is an error a la "your kernel doesn't support mppe" ... than you know that there was something wrong.

Is there linux on your laptop too? if so, i recommend you to sit down with your laptop and try to connect the laptop via pptp. (no gui, just use the config files and the xterm)

if you got this working, sit down with your device, flash it, install pptp, set all settings, and have the same fun as on your laptop!

hint: use the follwing command to start the connection:
Code:
pon $TUNNEL debug dump logfd 2 nodetach &
look at the output of the line above, it will tell you all necessary about your tunnel ...

greetz

Hi Loki,

Yup! I did all that. It does have lots of data reported back from the debug, but sort of hangs at 1 portion until I CTRL-C it. And then it will shut down the pptp link and give me back the prompt.

Roughly, it goes to the MPPE 128-bit stateless compression enabled, then there's some sent and rcvd data...
not replaching the default route to wlan0 [192.168.1.1]
then
Cannot detemine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local IP address 130.95.91.181
remote IP address 192.168.0.144
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 2897)
Script / etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 2897), status 0x0

then it hangs there

sending a ctrl-c causes

script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 2901)
MPPE disabled
modem hangup
connection terminated
script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 2901), status = 0x1

then I get back my prompt.

What does all that mean? Thanks in advance!

your xterm doesn't hang, it runs your application (pptp) and waits for it to get finished. don't forget the "&" at the end of the command if you wish to use the same xterm for other applications at the same time.

your log seems to be fine ...
try
Code:
ifconfig ppp0
if you get "ppp0: error fetching interface information: Device not found"
something went wrong, but if there is a device ppp0 u just have to fight with routing.

try to ping your gateway. try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254

look at http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ro...#all-to-tunnel
Code:
  route add -host ${SERVER} dev ${PRIMARY}
  route del default ${PRIMARY}
  route add default dev ${TUNNEL}
these lines do the necessary stuff...
your tunnel seems to be fine, but there seems to be trouble with your routing. google a bit and make yourself confident with routing...

greetz

Hi Loki,

Yup, ppp0 does report back with an IP. I'm using IPHome applet and it shows up when I tap on the applet.

So yes, I think I'm left with routing it. I'll go read the link you provided. I'm not really a linux person, so all this is pretty new to me. Thanks for your help!

the ip-up and ip-down scripts mentioned in the link look different from the ones on the n800's /etc/ppp/ directory. Am I supposed to create new ones or modify the existing ones?

I managed to install PING to the N800, but when I tried to ping those IPs you suggested, couldn't get the ping reply.

BTW, when I tried poff "filename" it doesn't seem to work. I get

/user/bin/poff: /usr/bin/poff: 40: getopts: not found
/user/bin/poff: /usr/bin/poff: 46: getopts: not found
/user/bin/poff: No pppd is running. None stopped.

Is there something I need to do?

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-04-19 at 17:53.