Active Topics

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
joshua.maverick: When you say "black outer glow" you mean... ? A shadow effect that starts black at the edge and fades to transparency? If so, if you could describe it in design terms, that would be more helpful.

For example: Start 100% black and 100% opaque at the edge, within three pixels away from the edge fade to 0% opaque.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Yea, I was referring to the shadow, in photoshop, instead of a drop shadow I used an outer glow.

I'm not sure how to describe it in those terms but in Photoshop....

Blend Mode: Normal
Range: 100
Opacity: 80
Spread: 0
Size: 8

This is why I was wondering if I could just give you a png of the background of the widget with the shadow/gradient etc. Does that work?

I guess you could try, in the terms you requested:

Start at 80% opacity, black
End 8 pixels away, 0% opacity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks joshua. I know it is likely not proper design terms, but that is exactly what I need to program the effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Oh dude, I wasn't trying to come across preachy, each piece of software uses different terms. If you can program the effect that's great, I don't know the capabilities so I wasn't sure.

Don't worry, I didn't take it as preachy. I know virtually nothing of design packages, so you have to spoon feed me easy-to-understand instructions

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ireland
How about a button to post the ip address to DynDNS?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Branedy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Branedy View Post
How about a button to post the ip address to DynDNS?
Or have an option to automatically update, when an external ip address change is detected.

Last edited by iKneaDough; 2009-10-05 at 17:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hi,

Any way to change the layout of this widget a little (see attached). Seems like it would look better if it was a little more "aligned." But, I don't know if there is a limitation in this regard.

Thanks!
Tim
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Tim - I was following the layout of larger widgets, which has the icon offset at the top. When I shrunk it to a single line, I didn't think about reformatting it. Your way makes sense to me.

I just have to see if it is going to stay a one line applet (I am leaning toward not adding any more information - maybe just the interface name). If so, I will try out your formatting.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:

Tags
desktop, fremantle, ip address, widget