Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
Nokia's promise was a MeeGo device by end-2010. So, I guess since the N9 isn't ready yet, we get lucky?
Nokia need to be careful here; there are certain tech journos and bloggers who will 'review' Meego on N900 as if it were the finished article.... Remember Eldar Murtazin's damning preview of the N8?

If the press is too negative, meego's impact on the market may be impaired. If I were Nokia I'd delay Meego for N900 until after the launch iof the official first meego device (N9?).

Whatever the outcome, all we'll get is Meego for N900 - NOT Nokia's UI layer that sits on top of it and gives the OS some real shine. I for one expect to use Maemo5 for some time to come.

Bring on PR1.3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Keep in mind that 1.1 will be just about usable. Release 1.2 might be a better candidate for installation:

At the same time, development of the MeeGo 1.2 release has already started. On N900 side, we will continue by integrating some interesting stuff from the latest Nokia and development repositories, including, SGX drivers, camera stack, and accelerated video decoders. We are trying to keep the 1.2 version as usable as possible, but during development, some images will work better than others, as usual.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Keep in mind that 1.1 will be just about usable. Release 1.2 might be a better candidate for installation:
Minor notice: SGX drivers means updated ones. We have SGX drivers already but they're damn slow compared to what's possible to integrate.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
Nokia's promise was a MeeGo device by end-2010. So, I guess since the N9 isn't ready yet, we get lucky?
I'm not following..

This has nothing to do with N9. This is a PR1.3 update to Maemo 5. The update doesn't include MeeGo, it includes a newer kernel for Maemo 5 which enables the bits necessary for dual booting.

MeeGo(the open source project from Linux Foundation, with the reference Handset UX) has been coming to N900 all along and shouldn't be news to anyone at this point. There is a professional team doing the porting effort with support from Nokia side. This however, is not what will be on the N9. This won't include proprietary bits like Flash, Ovi Maps, or other Nokia specific stuff.

This MeeGo 1.1 is not going to be an all polished platform either so set your expectations on a reasonable level, but it's only getting better and if you're not comfortable waiting for the 1.2 in April you can keep up with the development with weekly built images.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I don't think we will se a Meego device before 2011. As have been said.. they have had some delays. So late januari early februari is my bet. PR1.3 will hopefully come soon.. in november.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I don't think we will se a Meego device before 2011. As have been said.. they have had some delays. So late januari early februari is my bet. PR1.3 will hopefully come soon.. in november.
Keep in mind that Nokias new strategy is to release the device quickly after the announcement.
For example check the C7.
It is shipping now and it was announced at Nokia World on 14 September.
That's exactly four weeks back now.

The N8 was only announced because of Eldars stupid (p)review.

Also you can expect a similar marketing campaign for the N9 like there was/is for the N8.

To be part of the christmas selling rush but keeping the one-month-to-release strategy, Nokia needs to announce the N9 in the week of 15 November.
Coincidence that in that week there is the MeeGo Conference, isn't it?

edit: sorry for offtopic

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-10-14 at 08:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
how dare you post something positive. talk.maemo is only about farewell rants how the N900 didn't deliver, or arguments over how many times people have been disappointed over Nokia's abandonment of N900. this positivity must end now.

meego is not coming to N900.

ok, but it won't work.

so it might work, but the UI is going to suck.

well, if it doesn't suck, then i guess great, but you should've bought an andorid-based phone since everyone has one and it's not nokia.

and what's so special about meego anyway?

p.s. i will be dual booting to meego and it will be great. fanschmastic!
truuuuuue

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
For more information please visit this threat: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...667#post840667 (and please, merge)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
For more information please visit this threat: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...667#post840667 (and please, merge)
The general "PR 1.3" thread and this "news about MeeGo on N900" thread are about 2 distinct things. PR 1.3 and MeeGo are not the same, nor is any speculation about the release date of PR 1.3 connected to technical details of dual.booting Maemo and MeeGo due to fixes in the kernel.

I would rather not see the threads merged.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I think they will release PR 1.3 before 21st October.
As Meego 1.1 release is schedule for 21st October to have it in our devices we need a dual boot solution.

Tags
bestthreadever, meego, o6eew, open mobile ftw, pr1.3, stop talking, wegoo meego