Active Topics

Nokia should trust in people that give so much work to open source for free.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Surely nokia could create a subsidy company - take 5% profits, host it on maemo.org? that way they are getting the revenue to boost their own products? - dare i mention companies like Apple and Microsoft would loose money to make money (Advertising, name etc...)

But working under one publishing house name hosted by nokia should work, and they would have more then enough experience to set it up......

But getting through to someone who can listen is the tough part!

Originally Posted by drm View Post
With this way of thinking it’s better to close the doors. Beside that look at what nokia has attracted to their OVI store with is current policy. I have a Nokia 5800 and half of the application available are full of malicious elements. It’s really impossible to use. The only company that has good stuff is offscreen which I really suspect that it’s nokia itself pretending to be an independent company.
Half the apps are malicious? Wow, I had no idea. Why would people do that? Do they work for the competition, or what?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I have a Nokia 5800 and half of the application available are full of malicious elements.
If that's even remotely accurate, it's another good argument for encouraging open source development.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
From my reading here http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=185445 it seems they might be accepting smaller businesses next year. There's also an email address you can contact about getting a refund.
Which still is completely wrong. While I am all for going the open source route (hey, good thing I'm no developer ), normal people should have the possibility to try to sell applications through the ovi store, "even though" those only have been developed in the developer's spare time.

Closing people like this out is foolish, only allowing companies on there even more so - why should corporate built apps be better than apps from freelance developers?

Nokia: This has to be changed.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
well, if they are blocking you out, maybe it is because you will aactually respond to the issues.

i have purchase a handfull of apps there and then when i needed to clean boot my e90, i went to reinstall the apps and it forces me to re-purchase the apps all overagain!

not to mention the 2 apps that said they were compatible with the e90, but didnt work and then NEVER responded to a a request for a refund becuase it would not work on my handset.

i still go to the developers sites to get apps directly or through my-symbian/handango/etc.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
I've just reread this thread, and I've realised that I may be coming across as overly negative. That's not my intention. Sorry.

Anyway. Is the VAT requirement maybe because of the way sales are handled (accounting wise) in Ovi? I haven't really looked into this in great detail.

I can see a few ways forward with this issue:
  • A developer consortium
  • An alternative to Ovi
  • Persuading someone at Nokia to change things

Each has it's pros and cons. At this stage, I can see a consortium being the most likely option. It would take lots of work, but it is doable. I remember something similar happening when the Orange SPV (WinMo phone) was first launched.

An alternative to Ovi is possible, Cydia has proved this. Again, lots of work.

Maybe the maemo community (that's all of us) could lobby Nokia to change things. If they can't, maybe they could at least explain why not.

I think the one thing we're all agreed on, is that Nokia are missing out on some great applications (revenue earners) here. The open SDKs combined with the raw "bedroom" talent out there will lead to some fantastic software products. But ONLY if developers can see some likely return on their efforts. A certain Fruit Based rival product has proved that.

The Following User Says Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
Having faithfully paid the 50 euros to register with Ovi Publishers several days ago, I have been happily working on my upcoming application, preparing for the release of the new N900 store which I was assured is in the last stages of finalization.

I have spent many years in Canada operating doing very legitimate and legal development as a sole proprietor, as long as one pays taxes, there is no necessity to incorporate as a company, as this is recognized as an important element of trade (not everyone who does business can or will incorporate).

Today my Nokia Store / Ovi Publisher account was disabled and locked out, because I am not a corporation.

Nokia does not recognize individuals or sole proprietorship as valid business entities, and as such only corporations may publish through the Ovi store. Needless to say, as a legitimate businessman, I feel incredibly let down by Nokia, and the Ovi policies. These policies are going to prevent 95% of application developers from publishing through nokia, leaving only the choice of giving our work away for free (which is fine if you're into that), or trying to establish an independent distribution channel which is going to be incredibly difficult.

Nokia should ensure that they either recognise sole proprietorships as legitimate business entities, or make it very clear - and i mean 72px font clear, that they do not allow individuals to publish through the store.

I moved over from Apple because of their policies and increasingly corporation-centric publishing rules. I'm really sad to say that it looks like I made a mistake, and without a distribution channel, Nokia has left me, and many other future application developers high and dry.

I know I'm feeling emotional, but right now I just feel like forgetting I ever heard about the N900. This sucks
That's something that Nokia has to react upon pretty damn fast. Maemo community is beautiful because is done by individuals and if they have this approach to the Ovi Store they are going to screw themself pretty hard.

Ovi Store policy was indeed unapproachable for me as well: I work for an organization indeed, but what if I want to develop and publish stuff by myself?

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Half the apps are malicious? Wow, I had no idea. Why would people do that? Do they work for the competition, or what?
This is really true. Go to the free games on OVI and read the comments from the users. I stop downloading software unless I know the company. Before you can start paying the game they ask to enter the net and than that suck huge amount of data. It’s impossible to stop. Once I had to take the battery. And this is done by big companies (I don’t see the propose but they should have one for sure). I guess that you don’t find this in maemo and it’s made by simple people (no big companies).
Nokia should definitely change this. For their sake.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by detronizator View Post
I work for an organization indeed, but what if I want to develop and publish stuff by myself?
What I'm *hoping* can happen is that if there remains a requirement for an official business entity, developers could form an association that fits the requirement-- yet each operate completely independently, with the association managing overhead. Keep in mind there would still be costs involved, but *perhaps* this sort of approach can spread them out farther and thinner.