Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The question is - would the content shift to HTML5? With the recent announcement the Chrome 5 and Chrome OS would ship with Flash preinstalled, it seems to me less likely, even despite the rule 3.1.1 of iPhone 4.0..
Well already you see content providers like Netflix, and other companies start providing HTML5 (or through an app) instead of flash for the iPad. I think it'll continue to increase for that reason. Still interested in how Netflix is done though since there's no Silverlight or Flash on the iPad (and why not open it up to everyone else then if it's using HTML5).

Originally Posted by wire-less View Post
Since I first saw the pad in the Hands of Captain Kirk (or was it
Picard) I feel this is the form factor a computer should have.

You cant Ignore Ergonomics. A Handy (N900) is uncomfortable
small. Anything bigger than A4 gets to weighty.

So if it's not the iPad this form factor is needed.

Why I do not buy the iPad at the moment:
- iPad is no eBook-Reader. You simple cant read outdoor.
(I own a Sony eBook Reader. This is usable).
- Its not worth the money (here in Germany it will start
selling with a big price offset as most electronics)
- I have a N900 to take with me and a Tablet-PC for Office/Home
The Tablet PC is faster and runs much more Software I already
own (and syncs with the N900). And the couch style reading
Steve Jobs showed is possible with this device already.

So there is no gap the iPad fills. No other than my gadget playing

Anyone seen OneNote on a Tablet PC? This is not possible with
the iPad. No Pen no scribbling.
Well technically the iPad (and the iPhone) can use a capacitative stylus (as much as Steve Jobs likes to argue against the idea of a stylus), though it's no more accurate than using a finger since it's still a capacitative screen. But that doesn't stop you from scribbling with it still. The iPad is more then a eBook reader, eBooks is just one out of many entertainment functions it has.

We were also discussing the differences in what people may want from something like eBooks or reading a book. For example, for some the feel of the paper and being able to have a visual physical feel of how far you've progressed is part of the experience (the iPad does have a bar similar to FBreader at the bottom that indicates where you are). My fiancee loves books and that's part of the experience to her, thus she doesn't like to read books on electronic devices. Part of the iBook app's design is to mimic the a page turn (you can do all sorts of weird things.. interesting and might add to the user experience of some but I would never find myself using it. The colleague who owned the iPad said after the first couple days he stopped using that feature). Like I said earlier, I myself prefer reading on the computer, using a page tap or button to switch to the next page.

One funny thing I noticed about the iPad though is the limited amount of ways you could use it when not using the stand or a table. You have to sit with your leg crossed (just like if you were using a laptop) which is similar to what some of the Apple demo videos shown. The first thing the colleague did when he took out the iPad was to cross his leg to create a place for it to sit. (he later used the case it comes with to use the stand functionality).

Personally I'm waiting on the day where you can fold out additional displays, or something like the Nokia morph concept video. That's what I see in the future (well until they start integrating into our bodies).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I wonder what's the marketshares are like, html5 vs flash capability?
What about the cost and effort to generate and distribute flash vs html5 content?

Those should be the driving factors to keep an eye on...
Dunno the exact market share but Flash is still leading by much. The real situation we have by now is iPhone with HTML5 only, N900 and Android with HTML5 + Flash and WM6.5, WM7 with Flash only (the IE7.5 browser they intend to ship with WM7 is laughable, but MS will probably gain market share fast despite that). On the desktop the situation is similar and is not going to change for an year at least until IE9 ships. This results in duplicated web efforts for all that want to support these platforms and the situation is not going to change too soon (Apple efforts to support HTML5 are admirable but the further closure of the platform and the integrated advertisements system are not going to help market share gains (especially out of NA market)).

BTW here's an interesting app for the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ44S17mHO4

Granted once Windows gets their butt out the door for their tablet PCs you would probably see the same software being made out there for them But I hope someone makes a resistive touchscreen one!

BTW: I saw my second one on the Metro last afternoon. I don't know how many Apple has sold so far (I know it was somewhere around 300k on the first day) but I find it interesting I've seen say 2/300k out of the first few days. Granted I live and commute around the nation's capital..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-04-10 at 04:47.

This is just amazing http://theflashblog.com/?p=1888

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I just realized, that after the next generation iPad comes and the price drops, that'll be a great device to use for remote X sessions over WLAN. It has a good screen and long battery life, so you should be able to get a quite good linux experience out of it And yes - there is an app for it

Originally Posted by wire-less View Post
So there is no gap the iPad fills. No other than my gadget playing
It's not really a new device, it's a replacement (as marketed by Apple) for netbooks, ereaders and Internet tablets.

Regardless of arguments, if it can't do half(or whatever study you believe) of all web content, its not an Internet Tablet. If you can't actually read a book without plugging it in, it's not an E-reader. So, then it's essentially it's a grab at the huge netbook market.

And despite that knowledge, I'm still going to buy one for my girlfriend.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Actually, I haven't tried it, and I don't want to.

It is really nice, but when I need a mobile computer, I want it to fit in my pocket. The N900 can go into my pocket, and the iPad can't. The N900 can make phone calls and take nice photos. So if someone has an iPad, he must carry a few more devices with him.

So the N900 better fits my use case.

And actually, I feel pity for that little girl on the linked video.
At her age, she would really need to play with real toys and meet other children, not tied to a screen already...

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Actually, I haven't tried it, and I don't want to.
It is really nice, but when I need a mobile computer, I want it to fit in my pocket. The N900 can go into my pocket, and the iPad can't. The N900 can make phone calls and take nice photos. So if someone has an iPad, he must carry a few more devices with him.
+1 to that.

And actually, I feel pity for that little girl on the linked video.
At her age, she would really need to play with real toys and meet other children, not tied to a screen already...
+100!!!
Registered Linux user #266531.

the ipad might be the first device where a chinese knockoff is better than the real thing.

copy form factor, materials, keep 10 hr battery, add camera and android (or maemo for the browser)

the key is the battery and form factor(apple probably already spent millions to determine the ideal weight, form fatcor)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think the slate form factor has been around for sometime...

But the different thing this time around is the software (UI) and the contents available on it...

I've had a few (windows) tablet PC in the past... and there's no denying that you just can't get good experience with an OS that's primarily designed to be used with mouse+keyboard on other form factors.

Good hardware spec isn't a good benchmark of the quality of interaction you get from said device..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!