Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
If you consider OMAP3 to be outdated right now, every piece of HW you will ever able to buy in your lifetime will be outdated.
I think he meant processor speed, not the model. The Viliv X70 runs for as little as $599 with a 1.2ghz atom processor, 1gb RAM and a gpu that allegedly plays 720p videos without a glitch. I guess what he meant was that, even taking into account that the Rover is also a phone, which the Viliv is not, it will probably sound unreasonable to purchase a phone whose specs pale in comparison to those of the Viliv for a higher price (taking the n97 as an example of what to expect in terms of price).

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I was too harsh. It's just the feeling that while the N8x0 had a better processor than most other handhelds when it was released, it is weird that the N900 will get the plain same processor than the Palm Pre (specially when Palm has _always_ been late to the hw party).
Well, although there is some historical fact in that, Palm seems to be changing their ways. The Pre is a very powerful device - as can be also seen from its battery consumption.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The Pre is a device that may actually save Palm. Well that and their WebOS embracing HTML5. As it stands, Nokia is the late to the party group and I seriously don't think - despite having good hardware - that their offering will be compelling enough.

Thank goodness that Nokia has a deep portfolio of options though.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I was too harsh. It's just the feeling that while the N8x0 had a better processor than most other handhelds when it was released, it is weird that the N900 will get the plain same processor than the Palm Pre (specially when Palm has _always_ been late to the hw party).
This may have been your perception, but it doesn't have much to do with reality. Nokia had been using the OMAP2 in a number of other devices long before the N800 was ever released and it's not like a 400MHz ARM11 (320MHz, actually) was particularly groundbreaking at the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, the only things up-to-date are those that aren't available and wont be available for quite some time?
Looks like Rover is up-to-date by that definition

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
If you consider OMAP3 to be outdated right now, every piece of HW you will ever able to buy in your lifetime will be outdated.
To be honest he did say 'the hardware will be outdated by the time the phone is out'. Now, he just might have some interest in the Pandora vs N900 ship date bet to assume there is (still) a longish wait till the Maemo5 devices become available

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Naa ... I've been hearing about the OMAP3 for at least a year and as such I already felt it was old... glad to be proven wrong. It seems the OMAP4 & 1 Ghz devices will appear 2012 earliest.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
"Fixed in Fremantle", but not my current device.
Then it will be "Fixed in H", "Fixed in I", "Fixed in J",.....
But at least we will have it all fixed in Z!
Do we have anything after Z? Maybe in Alpha again?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
To be honest he did say 'the hardware will be outdated by the time the phone is out'. Now, he just might have some interest in the Pandora vs N900 ship date bet to assume there is (still) a longish wait till the Maemo5 devices become available
There's still a "longish wait" for the <expletive deleted> Pandora, too! If the gods stoop down and intervene in the worlds' affairs in order to hasten the arrival of the Pandora, we might see it mid-August. Otherwise, sometime in the Autumn...

So that means if you want Linux on OMAP3 right now, its either a Beagle or a Pre.

I know how many of you are feeling about the OMAP3 feeling "old" already, since we've been hearing about it for so long now. But I don't consider something "old" until there is a better replacement available on the shelves. The first crop of devices with this chipset have been coming out over the last few months, and there's nothing really better available yet, so I'd say the Cortex A8 and the OMAP 3 are still "new".

Originally Posted by luca View Post
I just thought it was a place to say buy our newest device or get lost
I prefer to think of it as "Diablo's dead, use Mer". I really must get a fresh supply of round tuits one of these days...