I'm having trouble.
I grabbed kernel-power40's deb
extracted the fiasco from it
unpacked fiasco via flasher
renamed zImage to uImage
ran pybuilder.py using the provided u-boot.bin
FROM PC: flasher -k combined.bin -l -b
Result: Error: can't find kernel image

What have I missed, overlooked, or botched?
Thanks

edit: left one step out

Don't rename zImage to uImage. You need to convert it with u-boot's mkimage tool. It is explained where the files are downloadable from:

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
That did it, thank you very much.

Please help me .I do not what happen but a penguin show up while I was installing a full charged battery it do not time out, I can not turn off my n900 and if I remove the battery and reinstall it the penguin show up on power on.
How can go back to maemo , when I typed the command

run mmcboot it said wrong image format comand
ERROr : can not get kernel image

Last edited by jorgecallejas; 2010-11-12 at 13:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to jorgecallejas For This Useful Post:
The problem with u-boot (beyond the forcing-it-on-us debacle that happened in titan's 44 kernel which was rather unfortunate) is that it breaks together with multiboot.

And I really don't fancy having to have one OS per SD card and having to put SD cards in and out. To me, multiboot was way more versatile; it gave me a boot menu with OS options, I could even have maemo-vanilla, maemo-power, meego and nitdroid on the same machine with no tedios SD card swapping.

What are the actual benefits of u-boot? I don't accept the wear-on-flash-memory argument at all (are you gonna boot and switch OS's thousands of times? really?)

/Z

The Following User Says Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post:
Simple: multiboot depends on maemo, so it does not support any kernel/any OS and if you brick the maemo mtd partition (or multiboot-flash a kernel that is not able to mount maemo and/or execute it's userspace) you are not able to boot any other OS.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
The problem with u-boot (beyond the forcing-it-on-us debacle that happened in titan's 44 kernel which was rather unfortunate) is that it breaks together with multiboot.

And I really don't fancy having to have one OS per SD card and having to put SD cards in and out. To me, multiboot was way more versatile; it gave me a boot menu with OS options, I could even have maemo-vanilla, maemo-power, meego and nitdroid on the same machine with no tedios SD card swapping.

What are the actual benefits of u-boot? I don't accept the wear-on-flash-memory argument at all (are you gonna boot and switch OS's thousands of times? really?)

/Z
There is nothing that stops you from using boot.scr feature (partition 1) or make a custom u-boot binary with something like 'run mmc1' or the likes. The benefit is than multiboot is that multiboot sucks for anything that doesn't boot from NAND.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've just uploaded a new uboot-pr13 that explictly conflicts with kernel-power and kernel-maemo and kernel-hostmode.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm not sure where to put this information since it involves several programs, but uboot saved me from an inconvenient incident just now.

I received authorization requests from someone identified as Marcy Raptor. At first I didn't know where they were coming from. Eventually I discovered they were from Skype and I picked a menu item that blocked them.

But before that I noticed that my calendar program listed the birthday of someone called -- Marcy Raptor. I spent a few minutes getting rid of it.

Then I noticed that some parts of my Desktop-Switcher icons were missing, icons that would be a hassle to recreate.

Just recently I had backed up everything with uboot. I restored and everything seems fine now.

I am using the latest of Titan's kernels, Matan's modified desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I've just uploaded a new uboot-pr13 that explictly conflicts with kernel-power and kernel-maemo and kernel-hostmode.
Just out of curiosity, isn't there a way to coordinate this stuff before it goes public? Or am I missing something?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: