Active Topics

I guess the lack of GPS makes it "legal" for Nokia without WP.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_311-4802.php
GPS No
Java Yes
Microsoft-contract prolly also forbid to make it Qt-compatible.
Java support is good though, as it may allow easy porting of Android apps to Ashas, at least less demanding apps. But it can be other restriction, that no open 3rd party apps is allowed (which would make them smartphones)

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post

Java support is good though, as it may allow easy porting of Android apps to Ashas, at least less demanding apps. But it can be other restriction, that no open 3rd party apps is allowed (which would make them smartphones)
How do you reach such a conclusion by looking at a spec list? GPS and qt will come when the OS/hw is ready for it. Maybe they don't bother until Meltemi is ready? That's my guess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
This is ridiculous guys.

- It's not new OS, it's S40 under it all.

- Have you seen Symbian running on N8? Now imagine that Symbian on 1/3 of the specced device that costs 60 euros. That's why it's not running on Symbian. Hell, devices priced like this used to run S30 not long ago. That's one basic OS.

-These phones cost between 60-80 euros. Asha 303 costed 120e on it's release. That's why non of these have GPS chip inside.

Please tell me you guys are the same in. youtube who spam about illuminati. Use your brown thingie inside your head, don't go with the "crazy" flow long enough that you believe the story.

There's Meltemi still left. This is project clipper. Actually you should be happy. Nokia has now filled the very low end with this pretty nice looking super low end touch OS.
Meltemi just might be for higher end devices than thought before.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-06-07 at 17:26.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
This seems like an awesome first phone... I'm actually considering one of these for my youngest daughter. My older daughter got a samsung phone with a crappy feature phone os (can't recall what it is) -- this new Nokia looks much better.

Touchscreen, camera, games... what more does a kid need without spending a ton of money on a nice smart phone + data plan?

The Following User Says Thank You to morbid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by wow23 View Post
maemo converted to harmattan (maemo5(fremantle)=> maemo6 (meego harmattan)
harmattan is not maemo6, it is a different distro that is partially based on maemo code
not the same thing people

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
i am 3rd time deleting what i wrote for sake of not insulting anyone by pointing to mistakes, so:
symbian is not renamed, it's name is not "nokia belle" belle is just modification of Symbian^3 (get device with belle, go to Settings>Phone>Phone management>About and read "This product is based on Symbian^3."
s60 is not Low End smartphones, s60 is variation of Symbian used on devices like Nokia N97 and n97 mini (if they were low end, then ok).

regards

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
symbian is not renamed, it's name is not "nokia belle" belle is just modification of Symbian^3 (get device with belle, go to Settings>Phone>Phone management>About and read "This product is based on Symbian^3."
While this may technically be correct, it is not true for Nokia marketing. Go to nokia.com and select "Products". You'll see "Nokia Lumia" and "Nokia Belle". They don't use the name Symbian any more except in the technical specifications.

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
While this may technically be correct, it is not true for Nokia marketing. Go to nokia.com and select "Products". You'll see "Nokia Lumia" and "Nokia Belle". They don't use the name Symbian any more except in the technical specifications.
yes, that's actually right what you said, but users are here to point those who don't know to truth, not to something what nokia want them to know, right?
tomorrow nobody will know what's eikon, what's psion, what's e32...
so...let's fight against genocide on EPOC operating system

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post

I very much doubt microsoft has anything to say about what other Nokia products can, and cannot do.
The contract probably simply states that Nokia would exclusively use Microsoft software for any newly developed smartphones.
I don't think they would have strictly defined what a smartphone is, simply because these products change very quickly.
It all depends on what Nokia currently defines as a smartphone.

If all the competitors in the high-end feature phone market (phones in the 80 - 150 euro range) include GPS and application stores, Nokia probably can too, without using Microsoft software.
The fact that those devices are very similar to "smartphones" from a few years back is not relevant.
Nokia probably defines "smartphones" mostly by price.
Expensive phone = smartphone, as simple as that.

The simple reason not to include GPS is cost (hardware and software).

They didn't include Qt support probably because of the same reason. S40 is mostly java based, so the bundled applications for it will be in Java. Adding an additional framework just increases memory requirements and thus costs.

I haven't seen any indications that the contract with microsoft is more restrictive. (And if it is, that would be extremely unwise for Nokia because it might kill their featurephone business for no good reason, since microsoft doesn't care about those phones. )

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by specc View Post
What is obvious is that Nokia is actually following their strategies. WP smartphones and the next billion. How the outcome will be is not obvious.

They do far too many stupid things. The Lumia 610 is being butchered in all reviews. The main reason is it can't run Angry birds. Silly reason, but a serious mistake. No one wants a smartphone that cannot run angry birds.
Following next billion strategy!? Hmmm... Were is qt on lowend? Nothing so far...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-07 at 20:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: