Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Thus my suggestion 40 mins + 5 mins break...

Dave.
Doh, missed that in the body of the reply

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I remember the projector being one of the biggest issues last year for the lightning sessions. I wish there were some way to be more prepared for the lightning sessions, make sure the A/V worked...

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I remember the projector being one of the biggest issues last year for the lightning sessions. I wish there were some way to be more prepared for the lightning sessions, make sure the A/V worked...
At Fosdem, the lightning talks are all made in a organization Linux PC, so they avoid the complications of switch to a new PC every 15 minutes. The speakers can also request the installation of some additional software that they may need.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Last year we used the wiki and actually presenters and organizers were happy about the system. If we go for something different at least it would be good to know what problems found last year are you trying to address.
The only thing which will probably be different this year compared to last year is that last time was more or less first come first served, and this time I expect that there will be a good bit more interest, and we will probably over-subscribe the 2 days of talks. I'm not overly concerned, just wondering whether that might reduce the effectiveness of using the wiki.

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
At Fosdem, the lightning talks are all made in a organization Linux PC, so they avoid the complications of switch to a new PC every 15 minutes. The speakers can also request the installation of some additional software that they may need.
Other option is do something like is done in the 'elevator talks' in the programming/hacking contests (e.g. hackday), where is set a hour before the presentations to test the equipment. The speakers set their machines properly for the speech and then is just plug and go .

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Excellent idea. There should be a standard PC for presentations.

What if you want to use the tablet Maemo device to present?

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-04 at 17:11. Reason: changed tablet to Maemo device

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by qole View Post
How about if we have a laptop plugged into the projector and tested, plus Xephyr set up for people who want to show off applications?

Last edited by dneary; 2009-06-04 at 18:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
If the new device is released, and it has video out, everyone will want to use their own devices

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-04 at 18:22.

40min is quite a long time for a presentation unless it's a keynote.

I'd suggest 30min total, i.e. 25min talk + 5min questions, and just make sure we stick to it and don't overrun.

For the lightning talks, we should differentiate between the true lightning talks (i.e. the sort of talks about someone's plans, which might take 5-7min to talk + a few minutes for questions/comments) and the short presentation types, which might be 15min talking + 5min questions.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
How about if we have a laptop plugged into the projector and tested, plus Xephyr set up for people who want to show off applications?
It may need WiFi to install additional software at request of presentator, and it requires a way for presentator to upload their presentation (e.g. PDF) onto the laptop.

You could also have that PDF on seperate projected screen, with a primary screen (with Xephyr) showing the Maemo demo. The seperate screen showing PDF is then used to support the speech and demo while the primary screen shows the actual demo. This may need 2 control devices.

Also, some folks might want to show something on their own heavily hardware or software modified device or OS.

You could have the output of X to a second screen over WiFi.

Demos can be pre-made as well with e.g. pyRecordMyDesktop.

Tags
maemo summit, maemo.org, reefer madness