Active Topics

Notices

Work fine and the UI feels more responsive.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Amazing, for the first time, using this swappolube, I can now run my 12 favorite apps without lags! (including media player).

But there was a time when I was switching in Music Player, the app began to crash. Otherwise, the rest of the 11 apps seem to work fine.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
nice name !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-09-16 at 06:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Question:

I read somewhere that modifying the page-cluster was a bad idea. Can anyone shed some light on this, and if it's safe?

you killed my phone !!

reboots after bout 3 seconds of booting up -> repeat

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@f2thak: sorry mate. Hope you have the flasher utility at hand, or you had backupmenu to restore the pristine state. Might be that when turning it off, it hadn't written everything on flash, due to the changes in the way read and write get managed? So, maybe it's better to issue a sync before turning off?

@Frank Banul: reboot is not needed, the parameter changes are made on-the-fly during the install of the script that makes them also applied at boot time. And, they are reverted at uninstall time, when that script gets erased.

@kennibal: yes, and if you read Simon's explanation of those params, you'll find that there is one that lets silently crash the latest program you start if it elicits an out-of-memory condition, instead of getting rid of one or more background processes. It's the price to pay for the fluidity. If you try again maybe it will start correctly after a cleanup of memory.

Concerning this issue, I want to implement the small memory-freeing command that Simon describes in his blog post, saying he runs it as a cron job.

Code:
I run a cronjob that drops buffer cache containing pagecache, dentries and inodes, to clear out unused dirty pages (sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches).
This might take some time and resources to run, since there's a sync command which writes down to the flash memory.
Given that we haven't cron by default on our devices, and I don't know how to mess with the alarmd daemon (and I'm not sure I'll ever do), I would then add an icon to run the command and free memory when the user likes to, i.e. when the device isn't going to do critical things like answering a call or shooting a video.

What do you think? Button or alarmd?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Erfurt, Germany
Great Work!

thx
Ice

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@debernardis

Can you comment on this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=41
I do not completely understand it. Tried swapon&swpaoff but got some error message about device being busy.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@debernardis

Can you comment on this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=41
I do not completely understand it. Tried swapon&swpaoff but got some error message about device being busy.
It's close to greek to me, but then, I'm no expert as I stated before. He has a script, well ask him to share it and let's see where it brings

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada lubes, bada rox, swappiness, tuning