Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
The ATRIX's docking station is just too good to be ignored!
I can easily ignore $400 for a laptop docking station... Motorola is getting out of hand with their pricing. They also want $799.99 for the Xoom Tablet (albeit a nice one). They've lost their minds...

Not to mention, I'm not gonna want anything with Verizon's stupid logo on the front of a tablet. They aesthetically ruin every device with their incessant branding.
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

Last edited by scribbles; 2011-02-24 at 02:07.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
You could buy a fully functional laptop/tablet/netbook for $500 - seems a little much for an accessory with such limited functionality.
Same thing I said about the N900... and I got cursed at by this forum!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
i'm still waiting for the galaxy s2
no point for having a docking station if you have a hdmi out and a pc suite(except nokia ones)
Aaaannndd.... wait for it... MHL (Includes video)
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
MHL seems like a stop gap solution at best. I would much rather see USB 3.0 fulfill this role (half the theoretical throughput of HDMI 1.3, but surely enough to push multiple 1080p streams).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bit_rates

Still, MHL is nice in that you need fewer ports on the outside. The downside, is you still need a special cable for it to work on non-MHL compliant devices, which means the same number of cables as HDMI in the best case, and one additional in the worst (and likely common).

I do, however, like that MHL is paving the way for higher power charging through the USB port. This may eventually make it possible to charge devices like tablets via USB (without it taking 2 days ).

Another thing in MHL's favour is the reduced port footprint on the device chassis. I can imagine that with smartphones tending towards the dimensions of ruled paper, chassis space is a premium.

cant maemo 5 be ported to the atrix....

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Same thing I said about the N900... and I got cursed at by this forum!
But the key word is accessory. The n900 offers much more functionality than a docking station accessory. A portable computer is worth $500, a docking station is not.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
But the key word is accessory. The n900 offers much more functionality than a docking station accessory. A portable computer is worth $500, a docking station is not.
Install Ubuntu on your rooted Android device. Perhaps not for the GUI (VNC is less than efficient indeed), but for the CLI which should be more than worthy. Coupled with a docking station, you have quite a formidable work station, if only for non-intensive tasks and surfing. Even the GUI should be quite good for light tasks as well.

Regardless of your perspective on openness, it's hard to deny that this is extremely functional.

BTW.. Where's the Android X client already?!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
Quick question. my girlfriend just bought the Galaxy S . where can i go to get all the goodies on it . Is it easy to use like the N900. Or everything is easier once you mess with the N900 ..

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
I don't think that 500 USD is expensive for all the goodies, and the handset's 200 USD price astonished me. 200 USD is nothing according to this piece of high tech.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Install Ubuntu on your rooted Android device. Perhaps not for the GUI (VNC is less than efficient indeed), but for the CLI which should be more than worthy. Coupled with a docking station, you have quite a formidable work station, if only for non-intensive tasks and surfing. Even the GUI should be quite good for light tasks as well.

Regardless of your perspective on openness, it's hard to deny that this is extremely functional.

BTW.. Where's the Android X client already?!
What advantage does this offer over buying a much more capable laptop for $500? I think the concept has potential but it just isn't there yet.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, bada rox, bada rulez, bada sux, bada sux cocks, revolution, what's bada?