Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I haven't changed my mind. With MeeGo, Nokia has done exactly what we wanted them to do, a fully open source mobile platform governed by good open source principles (differentiation, hardware blobs excluded). The primary strength should go into opening components that strenghten this platform, as we can all go home if MeeGo fails.
It remains to be seen if MeeGo lives up to the billing...

I am against insisting all of Maemo legacy should be open sourced. I am for open sourcing bits where there is a direct benefit to the effort spent - no matter the target (Diablo community SSU, MeeGo or even Gentoo on 770). What I'm trying to say is the exact same thing as exists already with the open sourcing queue - help prioritising licensing change requests with good reasons we need higher. We'd be stuck in a chaos where valuable and valid change requests would be delayed forever otherwise.
Ahh, emphasis on "all" - understood now. I trust you realize from our previous conversations that my questions were literal and asked in good faith.

There is nothing more sad for me than seeing licensing changes being met with the sound of crickets. Open source goes both ways - it isn't just about taking. It is about contribution back too.
Sad indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
if the benefit is less than that time investment, how is it a good idea to invest that time. Especially as it can easily be spent elsewhere on things which actually do provide a net benefit.
There have been plenty of requests to open code in bugzilla and elsewhere where the benefit of doing so has been indicated. The entire N8x0 community suffers from the lack of opening any of the code after it became legacy. You said "most" is useless or easily replaced, but some is not. If all of it can't be opened, the parts of it that are not useless or easily replaced could.

Not all suggestions are good suggestions, and Nokia isn't always the evil-company-that-does-things-for-no-good-reason many people here make it out to be.

A little intellectual honest from everybody involved would go a long way.
Nobody here said Nokia is an evil company that does things for no good reason. And then you imply intellectual dishonesty! Back to your old habits I see.

Last edited by SD69; 2010-05-22 at 21:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
You said "most" is useless or easily replaced, but some is not. If all of it can't be opened, the parts of it that are not useless or easily replaced could.
Exactly why I said most, nobody's position is held in terms of absolutes

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Nobody here said Nokia is an evil company that does things for no good reason. And then you imply intellectual dishonesty! Back to your old habits I see.
Mmm, yeah, I wasn't addressing you personally. People here do make that claim, and you bringing up your opinions about suggestion "handling" certainly doesn't limit things to this thread, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Either way, can we avoid making it personal?

Either way, can we avoid making it personal?
Sure. All good.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If someone needs a Nokia closed component to become open please use the existing process Carsten has in place: http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...hange_requests

We have opened many components this year, comprising 100k's lines of code (haven't counted them: a lot). There is still more in the pipeline, all of it to be contributed to the MeeGo project.

If you are still missing a specific component, please follow the process.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
We have opened many components this year, comprising 100k's lines of code (haven't counted them: a lot). There is still more in the pipeline, all of it to be contributed to the MeeGo project.
We're talking Maemo here, not Meego.

According to the bottom of this, Nokia has not opened opened any Maemo components in a long, long, time - not even in EOL circumstances:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

I would love to see it updated with positive developments.

And of the "Requests Already Considered", all but one has been denied (and the one was a special circumstance).

So peope are understandably dubious that future results for opening Maemo components will not be different than the historical results.

Last edited by SD69; 2010-05-29 at 19:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
What is the time period for this effort? Is it ongoing, or is there a set end date for this brainstorming project? I have a vague (false?) memory of the brainstorming during being set at just a few, short weeks, but I don't see anything about a schedule in the thread starter or the wiki, and there's nothing more recent than September 2009 in #maemo-meeting IRC logs.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
What is the time period for this effort? Is it ongoing, or is there a set end date for this brainstorming project? I have a vague (false?) memory of the brainstorming during being set at just a few, short weeks, but I don't see anything about a schedule in the thread starter or the wiki, and there's nothing more recent than September 2009 in #maemo-meeting IRC logs.
It finished (whilst I was on holiday). There was a prioritisation meeting (whilst I was on holiday). The results were minuted.

What we haven't had, though, and I'll chase up on this: plans from the stakeholders as to how & when they'll deliver them; clearer communication about it through the council blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
[...]plans from the stakeholders as to how & when they'll deliver them[...]
Chased up: http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ne/004345.html

Once there's a unified plan (say a bit more like http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1) I'll make sure that's communicated through the council blog (and so syndicated to all the places it's syndicated).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Do we think we can go ahead and unsticky the threads then?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
announcement, brainstorm, community, maemo, maemo.org