Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
do you think Nokia(not us) considers N9 a Success...
That's a question I would love to hear from a person within Nokia without bias.

I'm quite sure the engineers will say yes, they finished the product. I'm sure the people associated with Maemo will say yes, but it's step 5 out of 5. And I'm sure certain factions within Nokia would say yes... because it sold and wasn't released in the UK, France, US, Canada markets.

But overall numbers, I wonder did it live up to expectations or did it "flop" - and no, I ain't asking Elop. I know his answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have and can send email through 2 active sync accounts in separate email systems, as well as gmail and imap accounts. I think it is not possible to open several separate mailboxes in one Exchange systems without using actual account on them (eg. shared mailboxes do not work).

Importing contacts through contacts list is as easy as putting search and writing a name. Then you get the option to choose the system where to search him from. Search all of them automatically would be preferred, but it is not very cumbersome in current form either.

Things I miss too for business use are IPSec VPN and Office Communicator support as was in N900, so N9 loses for N900 feature wise. Competition is not much better on Android either; IPSec requires rooting and email client and contacts wise situation is worse than N9 (searching new contacts from Exchange, correct me if I'm wrong). Also there is no native protocol Office Communicator client on Android I'm aware of; just the web interface version.

So N900 would be best business wise, too bad the email client is so freaking slow on it and calendar sync gets broken all the time.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Things I miss too for business use are IPSec VPN and Office Communicator support as was in N900, so N9 loses for N900 feature wise. Competition is not much better on Android either; IPSec requires rooting and email client and contacts wise situation is worse than N9 (searching new contacts from Exchange, correct me if I'm wrong). Also there is no native protocol Office Communicator client on Android I'm aware of; just the web interface version.
Well IPSec VPN part is at least doable, I have compiled vpnc myself and its running in my N9.
And can connect to my work ip sec gateways just fine. But true, its missing from Ovi Store.

Code:
RM696-07-1_PR_001:/etc/vpnc# vpnc --version
vpnc version 0.5.3
Copyright (C) 2002-2006 Geoffrey Keating, Maurice Massar, others
vpnc comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of vpnc under the terms of the GNU General
Public License.  For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING.
Built with openssl certificate support. Be aware of the
license implications.

Supported DH-Groups: nopfs dh1 dh2 dh5
Supported Hash-Methods: md5 sha1
Supported Encryptions: null des 3des aes128 aes192 aes256
Supported Auth-Methods: psk psk+xauth hybrid(rsa)
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Hey, can you help me and all others to provide your vpnc compiled? ipsec is the only one i am still looking for

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Hey, can you help me and all others to provide your vpnc compiled? ipsec is the only one i am still looking for

Thanks in advance
I have interest in vpnc too, if it's not too much trouble to share. but I'll poke around on my own as well.

edit: here are the compilation steps for the N900, not sure how much they will vary.

http://www.tbi.univie.ac.at/~xtof/N900/vpnc-N900.html

Last edited by Drekkie; 2012-07-05 at 02:24.

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Drekkie,

hope you are more familized with programming Linux. I'am only using it.
When you can reache the vpnc compiling for the N9 please put an Howto here. Thanks in advance

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
do you think Nokia(not us) considers N9 a Success... cuz if Nokia did they would have trusted MeeGo..
Er, they distrusted MeeGo loooong before the N9/950 was a success or not...
It was a forgone conclusion that they were never going to be a raging success the way everything unfolded after 11/02/11.
You're implying that the N9/950 was not a success, THEREFORE they couldn't trust MeeGo, little bit backwards there.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
. because it sold and wasn't released in the UK, France, US, Canada markets.
And Italy, Ned, DE, India, HK, Spain, Korea/Jap (they're usually special cases though), I'm sure I'm missing quite a few others.
All powerhouse economies of the world that were supposedly "best suited" only for WP7.5.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That's a question I would love to hear from a person within Nokia without bias.
I'm quite sure the engineers will say yes, they finished the product. I'm sure the people associated with Maemo will say yes, but it's step 5 out of 5. And I'm sure certain factions within Nokia would say yes... because it sold and wasn't released in the UK, France, US, Canada markets.
But overall numbers, I wonder did it live up to expectations or did it "flop" - and no, I ain't asking Elop. I know his answer.
Perhaps you haven't been following MNB regularly, there's been MANY in-depth & well measured discussions along those lines there
It's been clear for ages now that it's been selling poorly, & simply not as good as the Lumias "all up".*
But it doesn't come down to a simple equation of: "N9 = horrid device :. it's selling horridly."
It's far more nuanced & a lot of factors are at play, such a boring discussion to have for me personally, mainly because I've read/had it SO many times.
Pop over to MNB regularly & you'll see it rehashed at least once a week in the comments, & at least once /mth it gets fleshed-out in really good detail.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this was the original intent/focus/purpose of this thread was it?
Even your 1st post here, you too suggested the spirit should be trying to rally around the poster & pointing-out solutions (if any) to his issues.
[if he's never coming back at least they're there for others to read & this could end-up becoming a very constructive thread]
Also sorry to diverge from the main discussion, but what's this "Wazzap debacle", can someone please explain?
If at all possible a PM would be hugely appreciated, I don't have time to read this thread in much more depth & reply etc.

*not that that they've been doing well at all, far from it.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-10 at 20:22. Reason: forgot link

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
As another business traveller, my N9 is my TRUSTED on the road device.. Usually when I travel (I travel almost every week) I have my N9 and my HTC One X with me. My N9 has navigated me all over Europe, JP etc and it has been awesome.

As stated earlier, I'm not a huge fan of the email client, but, it works.. My big grip is typing as I find the auto-correct to be a bit terrible..

Offline maps on the N9 has been so awesome for me to keep roaming costs way down and the GPS works great..

N9 is a great biz device IMO.. My HTC One X on the other hand got me lost after the GPS just failed to get any sort of signal in Jersey City at midnight.. I had to scramble for my N9 which picked up signal right away and navigated me out of a terrifying area of Jersey (WIN!).