Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by luso View Post
1) Expansion card support (e.g. to add a WiMax card or another communications card)

2) Good PIM and Office (so I can finally get rid of my Laptop)

3) 2 microSD cards

.. and keep the SW open source!
Anything but SD for "expansion" will increase the size of the device enormously and possibly lead off another doomed proprietary card format. I much prefer a supported and solid USB host capability so virtually anything can be plugged in, pending driver support. The n800 is nice in the fact that it can power smaller things like some card readers and mice/keyboards.

I would love to see a good PIM suite, and *maybe* some office-type applications. It's surprisingly hard to get any full-on office work done on such a small screen; I've tried it on Palms and other PDAs with mixed success. --A lot of scrolling involved.

Please, no microSD! Standard SD/SDHC only, as smaller cards will always lag the larger cards in density.

And finally, please do NOT include a phone! I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee to keep my device working or compromise even further on other functions to fit the additional chipset in.

Larry

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I would love to see a good PIM suite, and *maybe* some office-type applications. It's surprisingly hard to get any full-on office work done on such a small screen; I've tried it on Palms and other PDAs with mixed success. --A lot of scrolling involved.
A Psion series 3a was my main computer for five years. I did extensive document creating, editing and even printing, both wordprocessor and spreadsheet, on it and kept several large databases. Scrolling was hardly an issue, but then the Psion's office applications were exceptionally well designed, way beyond anything that is currently available for portable devices.

I later used a Newton 2100 messagepad, again as my main computer, for another three years, with similar results, albeit that the Newton's office applications were slightly less well-designed.

It's not the screen size that is the problem, it's the software...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
isn't rtcom still in development?
(and unstable?)
Still in beta, but I wouldn't say unstable. I've used it extensively to connect to my Asterisk VOIP server (SIP) while my ATA adapter was out of commission. I still use it when I can find an open wifi (not too many here in my part of the UK). But a good VPN that I can use to push it through would be nice.

Also:

1- increase screen res. to 1024*600
2- (much) bigger battery (or even 2 batteries which can be hot-swapped 1 at a time) - My XDA had a HUGE battery
3- PIM suite (contacts, calendar, todo) which can sync to outlook for work purposes
4- decent IMAP client - I use claws-mail and it works, but it's very finger-friendly
5- double CPU/RAM (needs the battery upgrade first tho)
6- replace the d-pad with something like the track-ball on a blackberry, and put one on the sliding keyboard and one on the front., they're small enough that it should work

induction charging would be very nice, a-la splash power, but not a requirement

and Wi-Max as an option, so that I don't have to pay for something I can't use. and NO PHONE. I've got a drawer full of them to pick from

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
- Keyboard
- Good camera and video calls with Skype.

Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post

1- increase screen res. to 1024*600
I really don't see a need for this. I think the screen is insanely sharp as it is, I really don't need even smaller letters.
I understand the need for more pixels, but not in a device this size.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I really don't see a need for this. I think the screen is insanely sharp as it is, I really don't need even smaller letters.
I understand the need for more pixels, but not in a device this size.
Agreed, this would only be valid with a screen size increase, but I would be happy with a boost to ~5" But a lot of sites are optimized for 1024 width, which don't all compress well to 800. Plus most of my friends are web designers, with poncy big sites Admittedly this isn't a huge concern, and certainly isn't going to stop me upgrading. But this thread is about what you would like to see, after all.

A 4.3" screen squeezed into that same nice 810 form factor.

Bigger resolution means troubleless running of regular desktop applications on tablet. Common usability/accessibility requirement is fitting of all dialogs into 800x600 pixels.

I would like to see a good D-pad and gaming controls along with openGL support for accelerated 3D games.

This could make the Internet Tablet OS THE main competitor for the GP2X linux system. I would love to see that (emulators, cool!!) :-)

Also I would like good support for windows media video files and streams. It seems that the next OS update will have support, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I would like to be able to view the files from http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl

Also a TV-out option would be very welcome. (just normal composite would be fine for me.

The N810 isn't just a Internet Tablet anymore, it is also a Car navigation system. I hope Nokia makes the N900 a portable gaming device in addition to the Internet Tablet part :-)

Come to think of it: a build in Hard drive would also be interesting.

But MOST importantly ANY new device SHOULD NOT be any bigger! I want to be able to carry it in my pocket.

Last edited by Bernard; 2007-10-27 at 23:05.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist