Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
No, I'm not. You should really have a look over the fence. It is obvious that you haven't.
I do, every month or so since the App Store was released. I haven't been impressed.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Yes, I do not expect the N800/N810 distribution to be maintained any more than the 770 distribution has been. I'll explain why below.
It has nothing at all to do with hardware abstraction and everything to do with the OMAP2's capabilities compared to the OMAP3's capabilities.

Do you really need my help to point you to sites like Nokia software market or my-symbian?
You're the one making claims, the onus of proof is on you, and not anybody else.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I don't understand this. In Europe, this is true for branded / locked phones, but if you buy a phone directly from Nokia (at the full price, obviously), all those functions work. And the operators cannot restrict the use of a specific type of phones on their network: just put the sim card in, ant it will work. Why is the US situation different? What happens if you try to use a "non approved" phone with your sim card?
In Europe all phones are GSM technology. In the US AT&T uses GSM and Verizon uses CDMA technology. There is no SIM card to be moved between phones as is the case for GSM. To change CDMA technology phones you must deal directly with the carrier. Regardless of what TV adds and marketeers say Verizon has for years had the best cell coverage in the US. To be honest I never tried to find an unlocked phone for use on Verizon's network. In the US, carriers subsidize the cost of phones and when you renew a contract they also give you an additional discount. For years I've gotten a new Verizon phone for free every two years.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Do you really need my help to point you to sites like Nokia software market or my-symbian?
I assume this post is an answer to my question above. - Well: I don't know a Nokia software market and I haven't heard of my-symbian before. All the software for my S60 phone I got elsewhere.

(Sidenote: This is very interesting: I got my 6110 about 1 year ago, use it a lot, install/uninstall/try a lot of applications... and it seems the one place Nokia wants me to go for this never turned up in my google search results.)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Could somebody tell me honestly why we NEED new hardware to produce good quality software?

Good software should scale from the device it was designed for UPWARDS into anything else.

[...]

I don't want to be back here in 2 years talking about how crappy and slow fremantle stuff is, I want to be running Maemo software on any compatible device.
I couldn't agree more. It's the most natural thing in the desktop word: The same operating system and the same applications I use on my quadcore desktop run nicely on my 500Mhz Celeron Laptop. They are slower, yes, but they start fine and are usable.

None of these applications needs a quadcore processor. They take advantage of it if its there and they run faster, but else it's just a "very fast computer" vs. a "somewhat slow computer".

What doesn't really run on the laptop is the eye candy from compiz fusion. That's an extra layer that can be added or removed without applications even being aware of it.

I still wait for the day when the same thing will be true for Maemo: Let any future OS2012 etc. run on your old N800; just turn off speech recognition and holograms and fall back to 2D-menus. Which in turn means for developers: Test your applications on all hardware and consider it a bug if it doesn't run at all on slower hardware. Make it run on the N800 even if it's written with the N1200XL in mind. It will be a little slow on the old device, but the reward will be an incredibly fast application on the N1200XL.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
No, I'm not. You should really have a look over the fence. It is obvious that you haven't.
Jerome (Apple iPhone fanboy),

How is that Koolaide tasting? Say hello to that Svengali- Steve Jobs for me.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Have you checked the number of applications on the iTunes store? Just do it: the iPhone is the platform which attracts developers at the moment.
It isn't clear yet whether the iPhone will become the defacto standard of smartphones like the iPod is for DAPs or if it stays a (overhyped) niche player. (As far as I'm concerned the iPod, despite its popularity, is an overhyped product as well but the general majority disagrees.)

I say this: in 2 years there will be either tons of iPhones for different market segments, and Apple will open up the vendor lock-ins and hardware restrictions or hacks for this will become convenient or it remains a niche player for rich kids while the competitors catch up in terms up functionality. None of which should be too hard...

Telling the people here, open source and freedom addicts, to look at a proprietary vendor-lock in solution for kids with too much money to burn is like cursing in the church.

First of all, only a handful of software on the NIT is proprietary. Of which a few applications which provide a scarce niche require a license (only Wayfinder/Navicore, AFAIK). Does that mean there is no market for Maemo or the NIT? There is; for there are various proprietary ports of software for Maemo. But more interesting, the Maemo users in general aren't interested in vendor lock-ins. So, for example, I welcome Google integration, but I don't agree with someone who would state Maemo has calendar integration because mCalendar integrates with Google. Not because one has to pay for Google (one doesn't), not because Google is the biggest data mining corporation in the world (Yahoo does the same), but because I believe one should have the liberty to pick their own service for calendar integration including their own (inhouse) based on open standards. Personally, I like open standards; not necessarily open source.

Now, if it were Apple's voice in this matter, we'd only have 1 rendering engine; no Gecko. No Flash, no Java, no Silverlight because of some NIH-syndrome hindering cross platform.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Jerome (Apple iPhone fanboy),

How is that Koolaide tasting? Say hello to that Svengali- Steve Jobs for me.
Flames are useless, and besides that, his only point is: learn from the competitor. He forgets iPhone serves a totally different market segment that Maemo, and I believe the 2 are like water and fire.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Flames are useless, and besides that, his only point is: learn from the competitor. He forgets iPhone serves a totally different market segment that Maemo, and I believe the 2 are like water and fire.
I get testy when anyone says looking over the fence (to mean toward Apple) you'll find greener pastures.

Apple and the iPhone was/is making all sorts of exaggerated claims as the first to bring this or that to market. It is all BS. Bottom line is Steve Jobs is a thief and manipulator (like I said a Svengali). Those who buy into his brainwashing are lame and simple. There is little to be learned regarding Apple Computer products beyond what I just said. There isn't anything over the fence (at Apple) to be worthy of admiring. There isn't anything at Apple computer to learn from unless you aspire to be a manipulative brainwasher of the masses.

I guess Nokia should have stolen some trademarks from Cisco, or agreed with The Beatles after a lawsuit to never to get into the music business and later break their word and Nokia would be more admirable. Wake up....there isn't anything at Apple but poor ethics, smoke and mirrors.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that I should honor L.Ron Hubbard as a genius. Save your energy, I am not buying it.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-10-27 at 12:42. Reason: mispelled Beatles

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
It isn't clear yet whether the iPhone will become the defacto standard of smartphones like the iPod is for DAPs or if it stays a (overhyped) niche player. (As far as I'm concerned the iPod, despite its popularity, is an overhyped product as well but the general majority disagrees.)
i suspect that part of the hype comes from its integration with itunes.

if you use itunes as your desktop player and ipod as your on the go, the database in both will be synced up so that over time the computer will be able to guesstimate what your tastes for the moment is given your reaction (skip or listen) to a song.

bayesian to the nth...

as jobs would say, apple is in the biz of building the whole widget. that is, they tune the experience from a to z. your not just getting a piece of electronics with a apple product, your getting a whole show and dance...

the osx desktop for example is a mix of cute and informative. windows getting sucked onto the dock, icons jumping from same in a manner somewhat similar to a kid jumping up and down for attention, expose actually animating the resize of the windows, not just blinking them into being. hell, trigger front row and the desktop will fade out, not simply work a bit and have the ui blink into being.

same deal with the iphone ui, its a song and dance routine. there to entertain as much as be used. and apple will not allow anything to interfere with that, so third party apps will be second class citizens, no questions about it...

Last edited by tso; 2008-10-27 at 12:57.