Active Topics

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
The users on this forum are quite different than those on HowardForums, I would venture to say most members here probably wouldn't welcome them with open arms and many over there view this forum as being way too techy and geeky. As the maemo users community grows it is to be expected that there will be splinters. As others have noted this is a very developer oriented site so lets see how this changes over time.

Howard Forums is probably the biggest English language forum for mobile phone users and as such since the N900 is a phone there is probably a good reason for them to have a subsection for phone fanatics who happen to use maemo. I will be over there (I still frequent the s60 sub subforum) hopefully providing a helping hand to users who have questions and don't want to join a brand new forum.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I wish they all could come over here instead of creating a new sub forum. If anyone can invite them it would be great.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
The users on this forum are quite different than those on HowardForums, I would venture to say most members here probably wouldn't welcome them with open arms and many over there view this forum as being way too techy and geeky. As the maemo users community grows it is to be expected that there will be splinters. As others have noted this is a very developer oriented site so lets see how this changes over time.

Howard Forums is probably the biggest English language forum for mobile phone users and as such since the N900 is a phone there is probably a good reason for them to have a subsection for phone fanatics who happen to use maemo. I will be over there (I still frequent the s60 sub subforum) hopefully providing a helping hand to users who have questions and don't want to join a brand new forum.
Why is this forum branded as techie forum. We have a lot of noobs here and the members are very helpful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Another site created: http://www.maemomobiletalk.com/

It seems people don't read/don't care about trademarks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Another site created: http://www.maemomobiletalk.com/

It seems people don't read/don't care about trademarks.
I know a couple more that are coming with 'maemo' (mine included lol). Actually, these sites do more good than bad as they tend to promote the product(s) more, and sending C&D letters to these sites will just fuel negativity towards the company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
(except that the recent posts in the lower right are from the developers mailing list rather than the users mailing list )
Apparently you are not a -users subscriber, but Ben Kenobi put it best when he said of maemo-users "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
As an "engaged user" (whatever that means), I would say that I really like the whole atmosphere of the forum, even though I'm not a developer / packager / programmer / anything of the sort. It gives me a very nice feeling of "OK, this is as much info about the OS and the devices as you can get. The developers are here, packagers are here, dude, Nokia is here. Talk about eye of the hurricane."

I'm not sure, however, the same would happen to people who are less tech-savvy than I am. My honest opinion is that this forum will just sound scary to most people who will buy the N900, so it's nice that the web is prepping up to welcome of those people too.

I also agree with most of Quim's suggestions, and would love to have someone from here assisting Cadden in maemo-guru posts together with Texrat. Even if his aim is kinda iffy in the beginning, his goals are perfectly laudable, whatever his motivation is. And the blog title is catchy, it could really fly off =)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bobbe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
I am not a geek nor a programmer, but I like this forum a lot, maybe not so much for the applications which are often too complex for me, but for the discussion that take place here and for the work of the community as a whole. I wish I could contribute more.

I also read the news and Planet Maemo and review from time to time (less so now than a year ago) the Download section. However most of the remaining stuff is not for me.

In a way maemo.org is a nice community platform run by developers and advanced users aimed mostly at them. Nokia could not send newbies directly to this site (which could also be confuse newbies with its different OS and pre-existing software). Will the site evolve to give newbies, including those that don't want to be bothered by libraries etc., same relevance? I doubt it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by noventa98 View Post
In a way maemo.org is a nice community platform run by developers and advanced users aimed mostly at them. Nokia could not send newbies directly to this site (which could also be confuse newbies with its different OS and pre-existing software). Will the site evolve to give newbies, including those that don't want to be bothered by libraries etc., same relevance? I doubt it.
That's a good point... and my question is, COULD it evolve that way (and if so, how)? Even more so, SHOULD it evolve that way?

I like the current flavor of this place. The face says "Welcome all superusers, testers, prosumers and of course developers. Oh, and noobies are welcome as well.... but please put on your thick skin."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
I don't believe it should evolve to become a platform aimed at (real) newbies to the same extent as it is for developers and advanced users. Of course occasional newbies may and should sometimes find useful answers and even try their chance in some code adventure (with obvious risk for their tablet and/or sanity). They even sometimes get a polite answer like "go back and search before posting"!

In my opinion, if the site becomes fully newbie friendly all other would flee. :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You're right: purpose must be defined, and that definition can't be too broad or the site risks descending into chaos. If the product line is successful, various communities will organically emerge with equally varying purposes and entry "barriers".

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org